TEAM SHELBY FORUM

...hum thru your speakers with the Shaker 500

ol'man

When the volume is turned low, I have noticed an annoying hum thru the front speakers on my Shaker 500. I was planning to take it back for service, but on another thread someone else mentioned the problem. How many of you folks have noticed this on your Shaker system, and is there a fix?

When the volume is turned low, I have noticed an annoying hum thru the front speakers on my Shaker 500. I was planning to take it back for service, but on another thread someone else mentioned the problem. How many of you folks have noticed this on your Shaker system, and is there a fix?

I have it as well on the GT500. My wifes 05GT does not. Something is amiss. Let us know if you take it in for repair. I am dealer averse so will wait til I have to go for something else.

yes .... my car has it too .... and since i work at a ford store .. i went to a GT on the sho room and tried that radio .. with a shaker 500 .... same noise

But some of you say u dont have it ? its slight hum when the volumne is turned totally off.

Plan to investitgate more of the stangs on our lots to see if they all do it

dond

Just went out to my car. I have a tone at zero volume, not a real high pitch or low pitch. It is lower in volume on the AM band than on the FM band. Didn't try the CD.

Thoughts:

1. When I start the engine, I can't hear it. Recommendation: run the engine, preferably with window rolled down, and the problem disappears. My shop rate is $70 an hour - please send me the money if you read this.

2. I suspect the 'problem' isn't really a problem. In order to get enough power out of a 12-13 volt DC system to power a 100 Watt or more power amp, I think most (all?) power amps have an internal inverter to boost the 12 volt DC to much higher voltage AC which is then filtered back to higher voltage DC. I suspect you are just hearing some the the inverter AC 'noise' not completely filtered out and coming through the amplifier into the speakers. Recommendation: see 1. above, send money to same place.

Just went out to my car. I have a tone at zero volume, not a real high pitch or low pitch. It is lower in volume on the AM band than on the FM band. Didn't try the CD.

Thoughts:

1. When I start the engine, I can't hear it. Recommendation: run the engine, preferably with window rolled down, and the problem disappears. My shop rate is $70 an hour - please send me the money if you read this.

2. I suspect the 'problem' isn't really a problem. In order to get enough power out of a 12-13 volt DC system to power a 100 Watt or more power amp, I think most (all?) power amps have an internal inverter to boost the 12 volt DC to much higher voltage AC which is then filtered back to higher voltage DC. I suspect you are just hearing some the the inverter AC 'noise' not completely filtered out and coming through the amplifier into the speakers. Recommendation: see 1. above, send money to same place.

Or 2)

go to circuit city and put in a better filter ?

:hyper:

dond

I think most (all?) power amps have an internal inverter to boost the 12 volt DC to much higher voltage AC which is then filtered back to higher voltage DC. I suspect you are just hearing some the the inverter AC 'noise' not completely filtered out and coming through the amplifier into the speakers. Recommendation: see 1. above, send money to same place.

I like AC/DC.... Hell's Bells. :rockon:

Don -

Unfortunately, I suspect you couldn't get to the filtering stage because it's likely to be internal to the amp. Since this is bad news, my shop rate is actually $140 for this consultation.

dam three cobras ... sounds like i might just have to spring for a better amp ... or just pay your fee.... assuming i can get your services for a mere $140 ... :drop:

:doh:

dond

dam three cobras ... sounds like i might just have to spring for a better amp ... or just pay your fee.... assuming i can get your services for a mere $140 ... :drop:

:doh:

dond

I'm feeling full of Christmas cheer so I'll waive my normal fee. Just roll down the window and start the engine.

Of course, the sound I heard from mine was really minimal. If you're hearing something really loud there might actually be something wrong. This is a hard thing to describe in writing. I hadn't heard it before until this thread talked about it. It doesn't bother me. I don't mask the engine noise with the radio / CD that musc anyway.

Archived