TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recent Dealer Communication Tread

NVWSSV

With all the new order code info out and everyone contacting their dealers, I thought a dealer discussion tread is in order. Please post up your recent conversations. Here's mine:

I called Friday, March 3rd at 3:30 and asked to speak with the new car sales manager (seems to be a different person at my dealer every 4 months or so). Well I got some guy named Joe, unfortunately Joe doesn't speak English very well and I was having a hard time understanding him. I went on to explain that I have been on the GT500 list for a year now and my name is down in the #3 spot. He was kinda confused by this but proceeded to tell me that they have already sold one (I was chuckling inside but also pissed) and that when a GT500 came in they would call me to come look at it to see if I wanted to purchase it. WHAT! No, no, no, no Joe, I want to order my car in the color combination and options I want. Joe then gets confused again and repeats himself a few times all the while trying to explain to me that this is a specialty, limited production car. Yea, whatever Joe. Good ol' Joe then takes my name and number and says he needs to talk to his boss, the new car sales manager (no shit Dick Tracy! That's who I called to talk to.), and that he'll call me right back. OK, fine I said, but two days later I have yet to receive a call back. On Monday I'm calling again but this time no more Joe, I'll insist on speaking with a person that can actually answer my questions.

This dealer has been nothing but poor in customer service and communications. They have never once tried to contact me and I have contacted them a minimum of 10 times over the past year. 6 months ago I even went to the lot to speak with the guy I had been talking to on the phone, but was never able to actually meet him. I kept getting the run around so I finally just left. This really sucks because when I first contacted this dealer, the guy that was in charge of the GT500 list was super nice and was a Mustang fan. Now I get Joe on the phone who doesn't even speak English. Service like this makes me want to become a car salesman so I can treat people the way they should be treated.

P.S. I may be giving up on the GT500 if this BS continues with my Monday phone call.

I visited a dealer in my area (So Cal) about 4 weeks ago . I was introduced to the Sales Manager after letting the sales person I was interested in buying a 07 Shelby Mustang. He was aware of the car and has planned a mixer when the first one arrives. He says he is starting a list to invite to this event. He tells me the car will probably sell for nothing less than 70k. They will offer it up to the highest bidder. I am not sure I want to add fuel to this fire. I am not interested in this type of offering. I did leave my name but dont expect anything to come from it.

I am settling into the fact that if there are no GT500s at MsRp that I will wait for 08.

I may visit a few dealers over the next week and do additional probing.

With all the new order code info out and everyone contacting their dealers, I thought a dealer discussion tread is in order. Please post up your recent conversations. Here's mine:

I called Friday, March 3rd at 3:30 and asked to speak with the new car sales manager (seems to be a different person at my dealer every 4 months or so). Well I got some guy named Joe, unfortunately Joe doesn't speak English very well and I was having a hard time understanding him. I went on to explain that I have been on the GT500 list for a year now and my name is down in the #3 spot. He was kinda confused by this but proceeded to tell me that they have already sold one (I was chuckling inside but also pissed) and that when a GT500 came in they would call me to come look at it to see if I wanted to purchase it. WHAT! No, no, no, no Joe, I want to order my car in the color combination and options I want. Joe then gets confused again and repeats himself a few times all the while trying to explain to me that this is a specialty, limited production car. Yea, whatever Joe. Good ol' Joe then takes my name and number and says he needs to talk to his boss, the new car sales manager (no shit Dick Tracy! That's who I called to talk to.), and that he'll call me right back. OK, fine I said, but two days later I have yet to receive a call back. On Monday I'm calling again but this time no more Joe, I'll insist on speaking with a person that can actually answer my questions.

This dealer has been nothing but poor in customer service and communications. They have never once tried to contact me and I have contacted them a minimum of 10 times over the past year. 6 months ago I even went to the lot to speak with the guy I had been talking to on the phone, but was never able to actually meet him. I kept getting the run around so I finally just left. This really sucks because when I first contacted this dealer, the guy that was in charge of the GT500 list was super nice and was a Mustang fan. Now I get Joe on the phone who doesn't even speak English. Service like this makes me want to become a car salesman so I can treat people the way they should be treated.

P.S. I may be giving up on the GT500 if this BS continues with my Monday phone call.

:censored: Joe! Ooohhh Man!! I'd be getting my Ass down there Pronto to straighten things out!!

That just does Not sound good. I'd be so pissed to have that happen to me after having my

name on my Dealer's List since March/05. Let us know if you get this resolved on Monday! :nonono:

I don`t thin k it matters who you talk to or what they say your number is on the list. I was one of the first people at my dealer when this car became news. I was on the list , but I`m a working man , I will not pay over MSRP for a automobile that was initally offered at the high 30`s. I have spent allmost a year keeping up with MANY Shelby newsgroups and have watched the fire grow. The last straw was when I saw some yahoo offer 30K OVER MSRP. I`m sorry , I did not pay off my house and cars and get 2 kids out of the house being this stoopid. Finally I went down to my dealer <I trust this one> and cornered the Sales manager in a hallway and told him straight out.... " Don`t leave me hanging on a line , either reel me in or let me go!" I also mentioned the Boob`s who are offering WAY over MSRP for them and he told me that He has had offers allready. I gave him the `ol evil eye and told him to tell me NOW , Do I have a chance or not?? He hemmed for a few seconds and finally shook his head no. He even mentioned under his breath that maybe the Owners may take them. Truth at last. No more...I went ahead and ordered a Mustang GT for myself.

Reality bites , but there it is.

I figure I`ll be very happy anyway.

Mike :shrug:

I have decided that if I can't get a GT500 at list price

I will buy a Mustang GT and take it to Shinoda and have

a Boss package stuck on it. Total cost around $41,000.00

I'll have a car with out getting screwed by the Ford Dealer javascript:emoticon(':rockon:', 'smid_12')

smilie

:censored: Joe! Ooohhh Man!! I'd be getting my Ass down there Pronto to straighten things out!!

That just does Not sound good. I'd be so pissed to have that happen to me after having my

name on my Dealer's List since March/05. Let us know if you get this resolved on Monday! :nonono:

:angry2:

Darn right !!!!!! Get you a$$ down there. I have been on a list as well.........me since May of 05 and yes, the list does exist and sits in the General Managers office. It has my name and my buddy's name who also has a deposit so we know what order we are in.

My advise, speak to the General Manager (position a little more stable) or better yet, get to the dealer principle (this is the owner of the dealership.............yes, they sometimes do speak to the customers that keep them alive) Do it tomorrow............take the day off if you have to. Good luck!!

Ya know, a year ago when these cars were first announced, alot of dealers, managers. etc really didn't think they would ever really be built. Now, a year later they realise they were wrong. I really thought my local dealer would look at them as they did the Bullitts and Mach I's, and sell them at MSRP. Now they ( and us ) are seeing way more interest in these cars than anyone ever imagined. Ford said they would have MSRPs under $40,000, maybe they will and maybe they won't, but I would be willing to bet that anyone who thinks they will save money by waiting for the '08 is fooling themselves. I will bet that maybe the dealers won't be getting way over MSRP like they are thinking now, but I will bet that Ford will bump MSRP way up. The reason I think that is that the local Ford sales manager is a buddy of mine, and I have been screwing with him as much as he's been screwing with me, the problem is he holds all the cards! He said that a Ford rep was at his dealership last week and asked him what they were planning on charging people for GT500's - he told him $5000.00 over MSRP, and the Ford guy told him they were selling them too cheap. That makes me think that Ford will see the opportunity to bump MSRP up for next year, and maybe you won't pay the dealer so much profit, but I'll bet Ford raises the invoice a bunch. Maybe they will justify it by calling it a GT500KR and advertising more HP and Torque, or someting else, but I bet that waiting will ot save you much $ unless you wait a few years and buy a used one. I think you will see these cars depreciate like any other car, if you can be patient enought to wait. Unfortunately, I can't. Meybe I will buy another one a few years down the road, then I can average the prices together and convince myself I didn't take such a beating!

Owen, thats exactly what I have been saying as well. With this much interest, the fact many dealers will keep their 07 allotments, and the fact that this is only a 2 yrs run means the optimism surrounding a sub 40 thou 2008 is probably misplaced. I am entering a lottery for a shot at purchasing one at MSRP (A military car sales thing) but if I am not one of the "lucky" ones, then I will most likely wait and hope the Challenger comes out. Some guys on here and other boards seem to think waiting till next year will mean etting one marked down, again not realistinc given the interest and demand this car is already seeing. Hate to burst anyones bubble but my eyes have been opened to the reality of the situation.

I called Friday, March 3rd ..........This dealer has been nothing but poor in customer service and communications. They have never once tried to contact me and I have contacted them a minimum of 10 times over the past year. 6 months ago I even went to the lot to speak with the guy I had been talking to on the phone, but was never able to actually meet him. I kept getting the run around so I finally just left. This really sucks because when I first contacted this dealer, the guy that was in charge of the GT500 list was super nice and was a Mustang fan. Now I get Joe on the phone who doesn't even speak English. Service like this makes me want to become a car salesman so I can treat people the way they should be treated.

I would visit them in person when the manager is there. Yikes.

Owen, thats exactly what I have been saying as well. With this much interest, the fact many dealers will keep their 07 allotments, and the fact that this is only a 2 yrs run means the optimism surrounding a sub 40 thou 2008 is probably misplaced. I am entering a lottery for a shot at purchasing one at MSRP (A military car sales thing) but if I am not one of the "lucky" ones, then I will most likely wait and hope the Challenger comes out. Some guys on here and other boards seem to think waiting till next year will mean etting one marked down, again not realistinc given the interest and demand this car is already seeing. Hate to burst anyones bubble but my eyes have been opened to the reality of the situation.

:nonono:

You're kidding yourself if you think you won't be in the same boat with the Challenger. That car will do well unlike the 4 door POS Charger. The Challenger will be a hot item too

Owen, I would not give too much credit to what a car salesman tells you, especially a manager. He is only going to try to justify his price because that is what he gets paid for and he will use any trick he can to get more money. Do you really think the Ford rep would tell him that, given that nobody knows what the real price or the demand or the dealer allotments will be?

Yes, I do believe him, as he has been one of my best friends for the last 25 years. I was a car salesman for ten years and I know from experience that not all car salesmen are liars and cheats. Sure there are some shady ones out there, just like shady lawyers, accountants, policemen, insurance salesmen etc. In fact, as a carsalesman I saw alot more lying customers than I saw lying salesmen. People think they can lie to a car salesman because they expect the salesman to lie to them. I saw people trade in cars with cracked blocks, salvage titles, poor body repairs, all the while telling us that their cars were in excellent shape. There are liars in every aspect of life, not just in the car business. The dealership I'm dealing with has 15 people on a list for 3 cars. If I decide I can't afford to pay $5000 over MSRP they won't have any trouble selling that car to somebody else.

I am so curious which Seattle area dealer you're talking about. If I remember correctly you live in the Puget Sound area? Give me a call sometime or PM me! If nothing else, let's get your name on our GT500 list. Yes, it's 73 people long, but I'll get you a decent spot on the list. We are only putting Washington residents on our list - no out of state deliveries for us.

Five Oh B, I thought you'd be chomping at the bit to know who this dealer is. PM sent and thank you for the spot in line offer, I'll definitely take you up on that. I'd much rather buy a car from you than these jokers.

BTW, I received an e-mail from this trusty dealer yesterday. It states that I recently inquired about trading my car in (umm, no I didn't) and that they have already set up an appointment for me to bring my car in. The next sentence says I can bring it in anytime I want. So which is it? And the following sentence states the persons name to contact; the only problem is the persons name is obviously spelled incorrectly. It was an easy name like Matt or Mike but was spelled something like Mriw. Maybe Joe wrote the e-mail?

EDIT: Five Oh B, your PM in box is full or you have clicked the option to not receive PM's.

I was traveling for work last Friday and decided to stop by each of the 4 Ford dealers I passed on the way home (Twin Cities, MN).

- One was in a town an hour N of Mpls - no dice, they're not SVT and aren't going to even try to get their one allotment of the GT500.

- Second one was in a far north suburb - sales lady laughed when I asked (usually not a good sign). Said the dealership owner had been asked by some big customers (small bus. owners etc) and told them all, "I won't be getting many, so instead of pissing off most of you I've decided to not get any for at least the first 6 months." At least he was honest and was looking out for the long-term relationship with his customers!

- Third one was a local dealer that I've gotten many cars from (about every 2 years due to my company sales car). Found out that the dealer is a snake. Sales Mgr showed me "the list" (while laughing). I asked, "what's so funny?" He said, "these people all think they have a shot at the car's we'll be getting in. Boy are they wrong!" I didn't understand, so he went on... "the owner will 'buy' each GT500 that comes in for at least the first year. He keeps the one(s) that he wants and then re-sells the rest to his buddys because he doesn't have to pay salespeople commissions on cars that will sell easily anyway." He said he did this with 2 of the GT's that he got (kept one, and "bought" the other to re-sell to a banker that he knows) and even did it when the T-bird came out a few years ago. I guess it's a sore spot for the salespeople there.

- Forth one - large dealer. Made me feel like sh!t just for asking about it. :censored: I asked to speak to the GM - he came out and tried to belittle me as well. Said something about if I wasn't willing to pay a big mark-up to not even come in and waste his time!!! :nonono: Now, I was dressed in nice business attire (although that shouldn't matter - a blue collar guy should be treated just like a CEO in my opinion!!) and acted respectfully, but wasn't affraid to point out that I would never buy from this dealer and would make sure to tell others about my story. :angry2:

Point of the story... so far I feel like it's not even worth my time until the crazyness dies down. I'll ask a few other dealers (I'm willing to wait, I'd rather NOT have one of the first cars... it's not worth it to me), but I don't expect to get much done until everything is published (prices, production figures etc) and dealers know more about what they'll be doing - say in 6-9 months.

I'm just glad I haven't sold my 68 yet... I may just keep it and forget about the new ones.

Man, the horror stories are endless.

It kills me to think that the die-hards that have been dedicated to Ford, Shelby, and this car

for almost a year now are being treated so poorly. Even though I believe in selling a product for what the market will bear, I still believe in doing it with due respect to the customer.

It's a crying shame Ford. A crying shame.

KingCobra.

You said it KingCobra! I wasn't even talking price or "gotta be the first on the list". I just wanted to ask about their plans (SVT dealer or not? if not, are they going to try to get their allotment?) and what strategy they had set up for selling (bidding?, lottery?, first come? etc) and I get this B.S.! :nonono:

It's amazing to me :headscratch: .... if nothing else, say "I don't know" and tell me to come back when more info is released. But to treat me like a 4 year old? Like I said - I'll tell this story to every friend and customer I have.

I don't believe all the doom and gloom surrounding the Shelby. I do believe that the surest way to overpay for something is to fall in love with a specific item, whether it's a house, car or whatever.

If you have to have a new car and a Shelby's not available for whatever reason, there's always the Cayman S, Corvette, BMW M3, Lotus Elise, or any number of rocket ships to choose from. Or buy a Mustang GT and mod the hell out of it.

Me? I'm probably going to buy something before my G35 Coupe's 4 yr/60,000 mile warranty runs out in January 07. My first choice is a Shelby, but it's not my only choice.

BTW, the first year the G35 coupe came out it was in short supply and some dealers were selling above MSRP. However, it didn't take me but a couple of phone calls to get one at MSRP. Oh, I bet even the suckers that paid over MSRP are very happy with the Infiniti's current resale value. :)

I don't believe all the doom and gloom surrounding the Shelby. I do believe that the surest way to overpay for something is to fall in love with a specific item, whether it's a house, car or whatever.

If you have to have a new car and a Shelby's not available for whatever reason, there's always the Cayman S, Corvette, BMW M3, Lotus Elise, or any number of rocket ships to choose from. Or buy a Mustang GT and mod the hell out of it.

Me? I'm probably going to buy something before my G35 Coupe's 4 yr/60,000 mile warranty runs out in January 07. My first choice is a Shelby, but it's not my only choice.

BTW, the first year the G35 coupe came out it was in short supply and some dealers were selling above MSRP. However, it didn't take me but a couple of phone calls to get one at MSRP. Oh, I bet even the suckers that paid over MSRP are very happy with the Infiniti's current resale value. :)

You make some valid points but.....

I cannot see myself heading tho the track in a Cayman as nice as they are just not what I personally am looking for. I want a loud tire shredding V8 not an import. The Vette is ok but I have two kids that follow me everywhere, which is why I sold my Vette last year. As for the GT you could spend 15k making it as fast and as good a looker but ultimately you're left with a highly modded GT with a 4.6 not a 5.4. M3 is one beautful car but once again I definitely don't fit into that crowd. You've also got to look at the bang for the buck factor. Cayman for example are a little more $$ than a Shelby

What's left today in the world of muscle cars? A Charger with the SRT8 if you could weld the two extra doors shut. No thanks

Just my .02

Update on my personal search:

Had a meeting with a District Mgr of one of my customers. During the normal BS part of the meeting he said something that reminded me that his family owns a Ford dealership! Ah ha!! :idea: I asked him about the Shelby and he was surprised that I knew as much as he did. He said they expect to get 2+ in the first round - one's spoken for (young kid, about 25, came in with a $30k cashiers check and said "I want the first Shelby you get - this is the amount I'll pay over MSRP."), second one is going to be sold for as "much as they can get." I said that I wasn't in a hurry, would be willing to wait for the craziness to die down, and asked if he'd be able to get me one for MSRP... he ignored my question. :censored: Oh well, I thought, guess it was worth a try.

After the meeting we were talking in the hallway and he brought up the car again. Out of the blue he asks, "you really want one of those Shelby's?" I said, yeah, but I can't pay more than sticker. He winks at me and said "I'll talk to the family and see what I can do for you!" :happy feet: :rockon: :D :wub: :bowdown: :rockon: - I was dancing out to the car and almost shed a tear!

Nothing's certain yet, but I may have just found my golden ticket to the dance!

I can’t even describe how livid I am right now. Pardon my French in the following sentences, this may get me banned but this is how I really feel right now so f@#& it.

Michael Rainey and his ghetto ass sales staff at Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle can lick my sweaty ball s**k. Ford is now a four-letter word to me. F@#& you and your so-called customer service Bill Pierre Ford. Once I was a Mustang Enthusiast ready to purchase at GT500 and an F-150, now Toyota will have a loyal customer because instead of buying those two vehicles next week, I’ll be purchasing a Tundra Limited Double Cab 4x4.

Never have I ever been so humiliated or treaded like such a piece of dog s#(t than when I talked to Michael Rainey. Having worked in retail sales and marketing for over 15 years, I never in my wildest dreams thought that a sales person could treat a customer as poorly as the crack head, s(^t f@#&ers at Bill Pierre Ford. Who they hell do they think they are? F@#& Ford, I hope they go down like Enron.

Sorry you were treated like that.... for what it's worth.

I don't form my opinion of a place until I've spoke with management on an issue like this. Then, if management is giving the same attitude, I'll never patronize them again. Chances are, you can find a similar experience at a Toyota dealership also.

Really hate seeing a Ford guy defect to a foreign manufacturer, makes me sad.

F@#& 'EM.

I'll post pic of my Tundra next week.

EDIT: Screw Ford, their training of their sales staff (lack there of) can chew fiveskin.

Archived