TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett Jackson Las Vegas Oct 7-10 2009

twobjshelbys

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming out on the 6th, and hope to see the cars as they drive down the Strip to Mandalay Bay on the 7th. I can't tell if there's any auctioning going on that day. Will be there most of Thursday but then have to head to Santa Barbara on Friday morning.

BTW, I noticed many MGM hotels are adding a "resort fee", so be sure to get the real price on the room before checking in.

If anyone would like to get together for a meet and greet and maybe a great meal, I would recommend the Silverton. They have lots of parking spaces and a great place for prime rib!

I'm coming out on the 6th, and hope to see the cars as they drive down the Strip to Mandalay Bay on the 7th. I can't tell if there's any auctioning going on that day. Will be there most of Thursday but then have to head to Santa Barbara on Friday morning.

BTW, I noticed many MGM hotels are adding a "resort fee", so be sure to get the real price on the room before checking in.

If anyone would like to get together for a meet and greet and maybe a great meal, I would recommend the Silverton. They have lots of parking spaces and a great place for prime rib!

I'll be staying at friends that are about a mile from the Silverton. Two things: 1) They have a Bass Pro Shop 2) Their Craps tables have given me about $10K over the past two years. 3) We like their buffet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there, at the very least to see the Prudhomme auction...

I've never been. What's it all about except for being able to view all those beautiful cars? Can I take pictures?

That's the reason. It's one of the world's biggest car shows. They do have general admission which gets you into the bleachers. Yes, you can take pictures. I think they won't allow video cameras. Check the site for rules. A bidder's pass gets you more access.

Also, my plans are subject to a last minute work related preemption (sometimes you have to go to meetings to defend yourself). If I do go my car will be in the Parade down the strip on Wednesday afternoon. They tried to do this last year but ran into some problems with the city. Guess they sorted through it this time.

I got a flyer from the Sams Town today. Cheap rooms. Oct 5(32.00), Oct 6(32.99), Oct 7(34.99), Oct 8(Free with two consecutive night, I assume this means either 7-8 or 8-9), Oct 9(54.99), Oct 10(54.99).

If anyone wants the info pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm starting to sort through some of them. I took over 400 photos yesterday walking through the expo floor. In this venue every car is under the roof. It feel smaller than Scottsdale but given they have a full 3-day schedule I imagine it's about the same number of cars.

I'll post the "batches" later this coming week, but meanwhile there are a few cars that are worthy of their own posts.

First up will be CSX2568.

If you've ever been to the Scottsdale auction the cars are in two areas. Most are "under the tent" outside. For the most part you can get up close to these although I think they were still "roped" in the front. For the higher end "prime time stock" cars that are inside under the roof all cars are roped off on the front and you can only cross the rope if the owner is present and grants permission.

It ain't that way in Vegas. All cars are fully open, and you can walk around and peek inside at will. There were some owners near their cars but mostly they were there to "give tours" and explain things. I did see people opening cars and looking in - touching is severely frowned upon - but if someone is sincerely interested I think they should be able to get a closer look. Some of the most beautiful black paint jobs I ever saw were thus smudged with fingerprints. BJ has an army of cleaners that prep each car before it goes to the block though so they are all spruced up when they cross the block.

Archived