TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone ever heard of this?

drlovegun

A friend of mine has a GT500 vert and just included this in an email. Any idea if he's getting bad info? If not then he has a pretty special car! I just copied the PS part of his email:

PS: I just learned that my Shelby is a Pre-Production car. I have been trying to get some solid answers as to a mysterious timeline for my car for a while now, and finally got it resolved. SVT gave me a Production Certificate stating that my car was built on 09/07/2007, but.............Ford & CarFax also has the car as built officially on 08/23/06. SVT further advised me that my car is considered a "3P" car, which is not LEGAL for sale. After they are done with the Pre-Production phase of the car, Ford then outfits the vehicle with the most advanced engineered equipment that is offered, and then it is cleared for re-sale....thus the later date from SVT. Overall Ford used the Shelby for Pre-Production for 5 Months, and then sent it down the street in Detroit to a company called "Motor City Solutions" for 13-14 months where they further testing, and marketing of some sort. All very cool stuff!!!!!

I can't comment on the "pre-production phase" or the latest engineered equipment or the difference between the build dates. This is all I know: The dealer order receipt included with my car states "order designated as a pre-production unit--please do not spec change" which allowed the dealer to sell it as a "certified pre-production" car. The order receipt is dated 3/10/06. SVT says my car was built on 5/12/06 (Ford agrees) and the dealer referred to it as a "19" car......the last 6 of the vin are 195856. You might compare this to your friend's info and see how much farther down the line it was. Mine was the 19th vert built and the 2nd in Alloy Metallic. Dealer still swears it's the lowest vin GT 500 vert built--they ran down all the convertibles Ford sent out as pre-production cars and this has the lowest vin in the system....according to them. I'm not sure I understand "pre-production" as opposed to regular "production" cars anyway. Mine has side scoops and I owned the car for almost a year before the dealer ever fessed up that he installed them the day it rolled off the truck and before it was shown to anyone (except the clean-up guy and body shop). I just wish "pre-production" had meant pre-clutch problems!

Tell your buddy, good luck and enjoy the ride!

Overall Ford used the Shelby for Pre-Production for 5 Months, and then sent it down the street in Detroit to a company called "Motor City Solutions" for 13-14 months where they further testing, and marketing of some sort.

With all the disclosure laws I find it difficult to accept that a car could be used for almost two years by Ford and a THIRD PARTY without the purchaser being made aware of it by some sort of disclosure at time of sale.

I can't recall off the top of my head but there is some law stating what percentage of a car can be repaired/fixed/changed before the buyer must be made aware of it.

Also I'm pretty sure the Ford lawyers wouldn't be happy with a Ford employee telling a customer that their car is illegal and should have not been sold.

Something your friend needs to investigate more.

Steve

With all the disclosure laws I find it difficult to accept that a car could be used for almost two years by Ford and a THIRD PARTY without the purchaser being made aware of it by some sort of disclosure at time of sale.

Something your friend needs to investigate more.

Steve

+1000!

I can't comment on the "pre-production phase" or the latest engineered equipment or the difference between the build dates. This is all I know: The dealer order receipt included with my car states "order designated as a pre-production unit--please do not spec change" which allowed the dealer to sell it as a "certified pre-production" car. The order receipt is dated 3/10/06. SVT says my car was built on 5/12/06 (Ford agrees) and the dealer referred to it as a "19" car......the last 6 of the vin are 195856. You might compare this to your friend's info and see how much farther down the line it was. Mine was the 19th vert built and the 2nd in Alloy Metallic. Dealer still swears it's the lowest vin GT 500 vert built--they ran down all the convertibles Ford sent out as pre-production cars and this has the lowest vin in the system....according to them. I'm not sure I understand "pre-production" as opposed to regular "production" cars anyway. Mine has side scoops and I owned the car for almost a year before the dealer ever fessed up that he installed them the day it rolled off the truck and before it was shown to anyone (except the clean-up guy and body shop). I just wish "pre-production" had meant pre-clutch problems!

Tell your buddy, good luck and enjoy the ride!

Finally, a vert owner w/ one older than mine. Mine was built on 5/16/06 with my last three vins being 888; It was the 31st vert built and the 2nd in GO.

Amazing that the dealer put on scoops but didn't bother to tell you.

No, pre-production doesn't mean pre-clutch. I'm on the 3rd one so far and just hit the 15k mark last month.

Finally, a vert owner w/ one older than mine. Mine was built on 5/16/06 with my last three vins being 888; It was the 31st vert built and the 2nd in GO.

Amazing that the dealer put on scoops but didn't bother to tell you.

No, pre-production doesn't mean pre-clutch. I'm on the 3rd one so far and just hit the 15k mark last month.

I just hit 12k on mine. When did you buy yours? The dealer got this one, used it to shoot a couple of commercials (wish I had a copy), and then parked it in the middle of the showroom, where it sat until last August 23rd. The scoops were a mystery. Salesmen claimed it was unloaded with them, everyone else just shrugged like they grew on it like warts or something.......I finally questioned them hard enough that the gen mgr fessed up. His intention was to keep the car, but when the market started going soft, he decided he could do without another toy..... I'm glad! :happy feet:

Archived