TEAM SHELBY FORUM

All Jacked Up.......

Well, I had to jack up the Shelby as I am changing out the tires and sending the rear wheels to Weldcraft to be widened which means the SGT has some down time. I figured this would be a good time to do some maintenance and mods. First I got the front tires mounted and balanced..... :happy feet:

While I had the wheels off I noticed that the calipers were stained. I tried to clean up but the stains would not come off. WORD OF CAUTION - I figured out that some new "chrome only" spray that I had started using on my wheels was causing the discoloration on the painted caliper. :headscratch: I had not planned to paint the calipers but didn't have a choice now.....

Then I decided to take a look at the "dreaded" rear end and sure enough.....RUST! :cry:

Decided to use lacquer thinner to clean, then scrubbed w/ 3M Scotchbrite, clean again and apply Rust Mort. I have used this stuff before and haven't found anything that works better. Body man told me about it 5 years ago and I first used on a hood then put the hood out behind my building where it stayed for 3 years...and no rust. Think I'll just leave the rear end natural instead of painting just to see how it holds up..I'll post another pic once I treat the rear axle hsg....

post-10682-1252291056_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291068_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291194_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291207_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291265_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291784_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291056_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291068_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291194_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291207_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291265_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252291784_thumb.jpg

here's an idea about how bored I was...

If you get bored again, let me know. I'll bring my cars over. They both really need detailing!

Let us know what you think of the KR mufflers compared to the SGT ones - louder, drone, etc. I have been thinking about upgrading to them.

I haven't even cranked it up yet to see how the KR's sound yet....would like to at least get the front end back on the ground before cranking.....

wheels on rear are being widened to 10.5" for a set of 275's......(cost to widen - $235 each plus shipping which is about $40-50 one way)

I put the final touches on the rear end this morning...will post some pics later.....BTW, if you do use Rust Mort, use eye protection and READ the maunfactuers directions. I am using a small 1" brush now to get to the hard to reach places. Personally, I love this stuff......

I haven't even cranked it up yet to see how the KR's sound yet....would like to at least get the front end back on the ground before cranking.....

wheels on rear are being widened to 10.5" for a set of 275's......(cost to widen - $235 each plus shipping which is about $40-50 one way)

I put the final touches on the rear end this morning...will post some pics later.....BTW, if you do use Rust Mort, use eye protection and READ the maunfactuers directions. I am using a small 1" brush now to get to the hard to reach places. Personally, I love this stuff......

you dont need 10/5 for 275's im running 285's on a set of 9.5 cs56's

ok, here are some more shots of the rearend. First picture gives you a better idea of how rusty it was, plus I didn't have to get on my back to take the shot. Subsequent shots are after it's treated w/ Rust Mort which creates a chemical reaction to the rust.....BTW, I don't have a finished concrete floor so I don't worry about Rust Mort getting on the concrete. If you have a fancy floor you will need to protect it.......Also, I took a wet rag with me and wiped down any painted areas that got Rust Mort on them....at this point, I could lightly scuff w/ scotchbrite again, prep and prime and then paint. I am going to wait and see how this holds up which I think it will based on my previous use of this product. If not, well, I am sure I get bored again........ :hysterical::shift:

post-10682-1252336436_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336446_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336454_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336464_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336436_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336446_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336454_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1252336464_thumb.jpg

ok, here are some more shots of the rearend. First picture gives you a better idea of how rusty it was, plus I didn't have to get on my back to take the shot. Subsequent shots are after it's treated w/ Rust Mort which creates a chemical reaction to the rust.....BTW, I don't have a finished concrete floor so I don't worry about Rust Mort getting on the concrete. If you have a fancy floor you will need to protect it.......Also, I took a wet rag with me and wiped down any painted areas that got Rust Mort on them....at this point, I could lightly scuff w/ scotchbrite again, prep and prime and then paint. I am going to wait and see how this holds up which I think it will based on my previous use of this product. If not, well, I am sure I get bored again........ :hysterical::shift:

keep me updated mines rusting too!

Looks great!!! How do the KR's sound?

I got KR's a few weeks ago, they sound awesome in my opinion. They sound the same cruising, but when you hit the gas they are louder and have a better sound. Start up is pretty close to stock, maybe a little louder. I have only had mine a few weeks or 100 miles or so, I am told they get a little louder which would be fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to drive the Shelby this evening after putting my stock tires/wheels back on....still waiting on widened wheels which should be shipped back next week.

For those of you who have been sitting on the fence on the KR mufflers....I've just got one thing to say, "get off your azzzz and order them! I took a ride tonight to fill up w/ some 93 octane and had the window down with no radio....just me and the KR's. These things are unbelievable! I couldn't be happier with the sound of these things..... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: They are perfect out of the box. Oh, and when you do a burn out, it is a very sweet sound.......can't wait to drive it some more. :shift:

Archived