TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Underside Rust is very bad..Worse than my 2009

War Eagle

Cam---id paint it soon--dont wait on Ford.Grabbers looks better than new.Nice meeting you this weekend

Will do, thanks.

It was nice meeting you too. Look forward to seeing you again.

I just noticed something wierd. The block pattern on your car tire is different from mine. Was there a design change later on? Anybody see what I'm seeing?

Here's the rear tire from my car showing 6 rows of tread.

reartire.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What type of place did you take your car to get the underside rust issue taken care and the axle housing painted? Did you have your dealer do it, body shop, paint shop, where?

I did mine myself--if you have someone else do it they wont be as careful as you in taping off your car t0o prevent overspray.If its already rusty,youll have to use black, and several other colors,aluminum.cast iron,which are a bear if they get on your paint.Look at the post Grabber has made. I was lucky to have a friend who has a lift,.but id think if you could get the rear up on ramps you could get at it.I used a brush on inhbitor to cut down on the spray part then used a Krylon clear,since mine wasnt rusty yet,I really ;like the Eastwood paint products,which will match the current colors under the the car.Id use a semi-sloss, a gloss on the center piece, aluma Blast, and cast iron or spray grey near the wheelsGood luck

What type of place did you take your car to get the underside rust issue taken care and the axle housing painted? Did you have your dealer do it, body shop, paint shop, where?

Was done in my garage with the car on jack stands and using a paint brush.

08 Mustang

Thanks for confirming. But your wheels (and your screen name) give the tire away as an 07-09. Dragpack just got his GT500. The '10 has a newly designed F1 tire and I confirmed on mine, 5 rows front and back. Unless, DragPack didn't get a '10 model and then that would answer my confusion.

Was done in my garage with the car on jack stands and using a paint brush.

It really looks great--what type/brand paint did you use--where buy--its so smooth,did you use a special brush.Brushing it on would save alot of taping time

It really looks great--what type/brand paint did you use--where buy--its so smooth,did you use a special brush.Brushing it on would save alot of taping time

Thanks. The finish isn't really as smooth as you'd think; there are some rough spots that I should have smoothed out after priming and prior to applying the top coat. I applied two coats of Master Series silver primer and one coat of Master Series Satin black Top Coat. Used a high quality bristle brush for the primer and a foam brush for the top coat. I only painted the axle tubes and brackets since back in 2007 Ford still painted the pumpkin.

The photo shows the products I used to clean and finish the axle. I don't think I would use the Master Series top coat again as it was very thick and difficult to apply smooth. It is a 2-part paint. But the combination of the primer and the top coat makes for a very tough barrier to rust. Details in this thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...l=master+series

Products.jpg

RT_AXLE_PNTD.jpg

Thanks. The finish isn't really as smooth as you'd think; there are some rough spots that I should have smoothed out after priming and prior to applying the top coat. I applied two coats of Master Series silver primer and one coat of Master Series Satin black Top Coat. Used a high quality bristle brush for the primer and a foam brush for the top coat. I only painted the axle tubes and brackets since back in 2007 Ford still painted the pumpkin.

The photo shows the products I used to clean and finish the axle. I don't think I would use the Master Series top coat again as it was very thick and difficult to apply smooth. It is a 2-part paint. But the combination of the primer and the top coat makes for a very tough barrier to rust.

Products.jpg

RT_AXLE_PNTD.jpg

thanks--great input--where did you buy the paint??Seems to be holding up pretty well

Finally crawled under my car to check out the rear axle rust today. Wasn't really too bad. Really not a big deal to me. But yes, I agree Ford should have just painted them in the first place.

I got some Rustoleum Rust Reformer to treat it with. Got most of the areas covered. I'll hit the rest of it tomorrow.

Finally crawled under my car to check out the rear axle rust today. Wasn't really too bad. Really not a big deal to me. But yes, I agree Ford should have just painted them in the first place.

I got some Rustoleum Rust Reformer to treat it with. Got most of the areas covered. I'll hit the rest of it tomorrow.

Blue--are you paintin it,or just killing the rust.Spray or brush??I tretaed the rust,then cleared it back in July--still looks good,although havent been on wet roads yet

Hi Torched10. The first product is a rust reformer or converter. It changes into a black primer when dry..it comes in a spray. Then I'm going to put on some sealer afterwards. Should be fine.

I've driven my car in the rain...probably 10 times maybe more since I've had it. I think the design of bottom of the car helps keep the water splash up, etc to minimum.

Hi Torched10. The first product is a rust reformer or converter. It changes into a black primer when dry..it comes in a spray. Then I'm going to put on some sealer afterwards. Should be fine.

I've driven my car in the rain...probably 10 times maybe more since I've had it. I think the design of bottom of the car helps keep the water splash up, etc to minimum.

Thanks--hope i dont have to test the water qualities of the underdesign--i know when we had 15in of rain 2 weeks ago,i drove my EXT thru some deep water,and got a check engine light.Called On Star and they diagnosed it remotely and told me it was an oxygen sensor.My buddie has a code anysis hand held unit,got the same code,cleared it and its been great since.I need to buy one of those units.Wish Ford had On Star.

Thanks--hope i dont have to test the water qualities of the underdesign--i know when we had 15in of rain 2 weeks ago,i drove my EXT thru some deep water,and got a check engine light.Called On Star and they diagnosed it remotely and told me it was an oxygen sensor.My buddie has a code anysis hand held unit,got the same code,cleared it and its been great since.I need to buy one of those units.Wish Ford had On Star.

I've had one of those hand held units for pulling codes for a long time. I assume the one I have works the same for the 2010 mustangs. Comes in handy at times.

Wow...15 inches of rain! We are lucky to get an inch at a time.

Archived