My Underside Rust is very bad..Worse than my 2009

War Eagle

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have any mail. :banghead:

....and we are not closing this thread.

Why all the secrets ?

I agree with Grabber. Why all the drama? I would think Ford would want positive info put out there after all the bad publicity they've been getting on this site. Honestly, I'm suppossed to take deliver of mine at the end of the month but after all the crap I've read on this site about poor quality and poor customer service I'm having second thoughts. I haven't owned a Ford since 2000 and thought I'd give them another shot since the new GT500 seemed awesome. Not so sure now.

I agree with Grabber. Why all the drama? I would think Ford would want positive info put out there after all the bad publicity they've been getting on this site. Honestly, I'm suppossed to take deliver of mine at the end of the month but after all the crap I've read on this site about poor quality and poor customer service I'm having second thoughts. I haven't owned a Ford since 2000 and thought I'd give them another shot since the new GT500 seemed awesome. Not so sure now.

2011 could be your year. :happy feet:

Oh Guys here it is:

Ford is going to a painted axle on the 2010s pretty soon, no date yet but the axles are already in testing. I don't know what this means for any current owners at this time but if we get any information we will share it with you.

Ford has listened and is working on improving the rest of the 2010 production with regard to the rust issue. Continuing the thread now will be beating a dead horse.

Steve

Oh Guys here it is:

Ford is going to a painted axle on the 2010s pretty soon, no date yet but the axles are already in testing. I don't know what this means for any current owners at this time but if we get any information we will share it with you.

Ford has listened and is working on improving the rest of the 2010 production with regard to the rust issue. Continuing the thread now will be beating a dead horse.

Steve

Testing? I've been testing mine for almost two years!

That's encouraging though.

Installed.jpg

Most of the issues have been minor with most of us and some have had no issues. We have one owner who just got a really bad car all the way around but that was the one car. Here is sort of a recap for you and you can look your car over well before you take delivery:

1. The hoods on many of the cars do not seem to line up well. Mine is almost flush on the left side but on the right side is flush at the top near the W/S but sticks up near where the rubber bumpers are then starts back down as it flows to the front. It also does not line up perfectly at the front. The Dealer adjusted it for me and it is much better but will never be perfect. Not noticeable now unlesss you look for it but was before.

2. Four of us that we know off have a paint defect/flaw located on the right front bumper. I elected to touch mine up myself.

3. A few cars received damage in transit to wheels and bumpers, check those areas closely.. I did not have any transit damage on mine.

4. I had a GT air vent trim ring installed on the right side in my car, only example we know of with this issue. I guess that makes mine like a two headed Buffalo Nickel.

5. Some of us have a minor issue with the rear bumper fit. Mine is not real bad but is flush on the right side but sticks out just a little on the left side. On one or two cars it was more pronounced.

6. many of our cars were delivered heavily rusted on the bottom. The unpainted rear axle is the main culprit.

Thats about it as far as I know except for the one car I mentioned which has a lot of issues.

hope this helps,

Steve

Oh Guys here it is:

Steve

I know you didn't mean testing, but that was funny. "We're testing our painted drive shafts and axles because someone said it prevents premature rust", say's Ford Quality One Dee-De-Dee Engineer.

Most of the issues have been minor with most of us and some have had no issues. We have one owner who just got a really bad car all the way around but that was the one car. Here is sort of a recap for you and you can look your car over well before you take delivery:

1. The hoods on many of the cars do not seem to line up well. Mine is almost flush on the left side but on the right side is flush at the top near the W/S but sticks up near where the rubber bumpers are then starts back down as it flows to the front. It also does not line up perfectly at the front. The Dealer adjusted it for me and it is much better but will never be perfect. Not noticeable now unlesss you look for it but was before.

2. Four of us that we know off have a paint defect/flaw located on the right front bumper. I elected to touch mine up myself.

3. A few cars received damage in transit to wheels and bumpers, check those areas closely.. I did not have any transit damage on mine.

4. I had a GT air vent trim ring installed on the right side in my car, only example we know of with this issue. I guess that makes mine like a two headed Buffalo Nickel.

5. Some of us have a minor issue with the rear bumper fit. Mine is not real bad but is flush on the right side but sticks out just a little on the left side. On one or two cars it was more pronounced.

6. many of our cars were delivered heavily rusted on the bottom. The unpainted rear axle is the main culprit.

Thats about it as far as I know except for the one car I mentioned which has a lot of issues.

hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve. That recap does help. The possible 1st - 2nd shift issue is another that is not on your list. I'll look my car over closely when it arrives and make the dealer aware of any issues. It would have to be pretty bad for me to back out of deal.

Thanks Steve. That recap does help. The possible 1st - 2nd shift issue is another that is not on your list. I'll look my car over closely when it arrives and make the dealer aware of any issues. It would have to be pretty bad for me to back out of deal.

Inspect the following closely:

1. Front cover to fender joint. Pull the bumper out slightly from the edge in front of the tires. It's flexible. It should move out NP and not damage anything. You should see perfect paint.

2. Inspect the stripes EXTREMELY CLOSELY for bubbles. All of them

3. Check the seats for shoddy workmanship around the edges, where the materials are wrapped around.

4. Start the motor, lay down with head behind either front wheel, and listen for a tick.

5. Look for drips, dirt etc in the clearcoat.

6. Check rims for curb marks. Look underneath car with a BRIGHT LIGHT for any damage.

7. Check hood alignment.

I wish I had done all of the above. I am learning the hard way.

Inspect the following closely:

1. Front cover to fender joint. Pull the bumper out slightly from the edge in front of the tires. It's flexible. It should move out NP and not damage anything. You should see perfect paint.

2. Inspect the stripes EXTREMELY CLOSELY for bubbles. All of them

3. Check the seats for shoddy workmanship around the edges, where the materials are wrapped around.

4. Start the motor, lay down with head behind either front wheel, and listen for a tick.

5. Look for drips, dirt etc in the clearcoat.

6. Check rims for curb marks. Look underneath car with a BRIGHT LIGHT for any damage.

7. Check hood alignment.

I wish I had done all of the above. I am learning the hard way.

Thanks ChrisSD. I'll do all of the above.

Great........Here I am all psyched for delivery hopefully next week, and now I've got a pit in my stomch worrying what I'll find Thanks for the checklist though.............that should at least make it a bit easier (although the rust thing is something I'm not looking forward to......too bad the didnt start on the painted rears last week when mine was built)!!!!

The hood alignment is complicated. The problem area starts about halfway down and appears to bow up. Mine was up on the right side about 1/8 inch, maybe a little more and down slightly on the left side. I took it to the Dealership and he adjusted it several times and finally had to average it out between the two sides. He had to raise the left side to twist the right side down. If you take the stops too far down to make the hood better but not totally flush then the front of the hood is sunken down below the nose piece.

I think mine looks OK now and is really not that noticeable unless you just walk up and stare at it.

Here are some pictures that are not that good but maybe you can see the start of the bowed section. One picture near the windshield shows you that the hood is completely flush and almost invisible from the side view, no up gap at all. In picture #3 you can see it moving from flush to the up gap, and then it starts back down again.

Edit: Thursday 9/10. I took my car to a friend who is the best bdy shop person in the County and in less than an hour he had my hood fitting almost perfectly.

Steve

post-25298-1252513782_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513790_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513797_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513804_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513782_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513790_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513797_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252513804_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guys,

These are the photos I took of my car right after we got it home on the trailer. The car had 34 miles on it when I took these pictures.

The rust is much more prevalant than on my 2009 and Ford really should be ashamed for letting a $50,000 car go out the door in this condition.

The least they could do is offer to paint these parts as an option, I would have paid $500 to have my car delivered in better shape.

Steve

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the blogs and a first time Shelby owner.I just picked it up last week and didn't bother to look underneath what a big mistake :headscratch: .I'm so mad I can spit bullets.I have been a loyal Ford buyer from 1971 When I bought my first Boss 351.Has anyone really had a good answer from Ford?My dealer says I need to wait to see if Ford does anything.This is a load of crap.

I also own a 1970 Cyclone GT that's a real drag pack car and the axle looks like new compaired to the parts under my new Shelby.

If anyone from Ford reads this FYI I have bought 6 new Fords for my business in the last 7 years and I'm ready to go shopping somewhere else if you know what I mean.post-26302-1254772929_thumb.jpg

post-26302-1254772929_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the blogs and a first time Shelby owner.I just picked it up last week and didn't bother to look underneath what a big mistake :headscratch: .I'm so mad I can spit bullets.I have been a loyal Ford buyer from 1971 When I bought my first Boss 351.Has anyone really had a good answer from Ford?My dealer says I need to wait to see if Ford does anything.This is a load of crap.

I also own a 1970 Cyclone GT that's a real drag pack car and the axle looks like new compaired to the parts under my new Shelby.

If anyone from Ford reads this FYI I have bought 6 new Fords for my business in the last 7 years and I'm ready to go shopping somewhere else if you know what I mean.post-26302-1254772929_thumb.jpg

I just noticed something wierd. The block pattern on your car tire is different from mine. Was there a design change later on? Anybody see what I'm seeing?

Archived