TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Underside Rust is very bad..Worse than my 2009

War Eagle

The dealer will not take the time to cover the outside of the car with plastic and mask off the underside correctly and remove the tires.

The cost for materials is about $10 bucks. The rest is a labor of love. The dealer will not give your car the passion that you have for it.

I know that's true. What do you think the cost would be if Ford did this before assembly at the plant?

Steve

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spend the time and a few hours and prep and paint it.

Simple job.

When I painted my axle, it was a fairly labor intensive job, which took two days prepping, masking, priming, painting and cleanup. Completely un-necessary if Ford paid attention to quality and finished the axle properly.

However it is satisfying now that it's done.

Under $200 bucks +/-

Geeez, I can't believe that they would try to save $200 on a $50,000 car.

Thanks Grabber, I know we would be better off just not saying anything and just quitely fixing it ourselves but I want Ford to know how very upset we are about this issue and to us it is not a minor thing.

Steve

Guys,

These are the photos I took of my car right after we got it home on the trailer. The car had 34 miles on it when I took these pictures.

The rust is much more prevalant than on my 2009 and Ford really should be ashamed for letting a $50,000 car go out the door in this condition.

The least they could do is offer to paint these parts as an option, I would have paid $500 to have my car delivered in better shape.

Steve

Rust on the heavy metal parts isn't a problem but actually a protectant. Now if it's on the sheet metal, that's another thing.

The dealer will not take the time to cover the outside of the car with plastic and mask off the underside correctly and remove the tires.

The cost for materials is about $10 bucks. The rest is a labor of love. The dealer will not give your car the passion that you have for it.

My only problem is I don't think I have the room to take off the wheels too....but maybe I can work around that?? As soon as I saw Grabbers' original post on this.....I added it to my favorites. My car comes in a week.......but this will definitely be a first project. In case you all didn't see it, here is his more-than-helpful write up.............

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=11229&hl=

Guys,

I would appreciate it if you would PM me if you would like to join me on this crusade. I can then send you my email address and we can stay in touch that way as this thing progresses. I think we can get Ford to fix these under warranty and if not I will feel better for having tried.

thanks for your help,

Steve

Rust on the heavy metal parts isn't a problem but actually a protectant. Now if it's on the sheet metal, that's another thing.

Did you notice the thin formed steel brackets that are heavily rusted. Those will be badly pitted pretty fast down here in Fla. It is not just water I am worried about but the corrosive effects of the salt in the air here. The other guys who live in Florida know exactly how bad this will be on our cars near the coast. Bare metal in Florida is not a good thing.

Steve

Geeez, I can't believe that they would try to save $200 on a $50,000 car.

Thanks Grabber, I know we would be better off just not saying anything and just quitely fixing it ourselves but I want Ford to know how very upset we are about this issue and to us it is not a minor thing.

Steve

They would do it to save 50 cents. It's a never ending process, cut costs, cut costs..............

Ford a had huge display at Woodward on Mustang Alley & had a 2010 on its side & the first thing I noticed was the rear end & axles were painted. Not sure that this was for display or they finally listened to all the complaints & are finally painting them. These units are sent in from a supplier can`tbelieve it would cost more than $30.00 + to have them painted.

Ford a had huge display at Woodward on Mustang Alley & had a 2010 on its side & the first thing I noticed was the rear end & axles were painted. Not sure that this was for display or they finally listened to all the complaints & are finally painting them. These units are sent in from a suppler can`tbelieve it would cost more than $30.00 + to have them painted.

Wow, thanks for that very good piece of information, this will really help.

Steve

I had to have my rearend replaced under warranty and before it was installed I went to the dealership

to prime and paint it. The new rearend did not have a spec of rust on it and looking back, maybe I should

heve just cleared it and left it natural looking.

post-8794-1252291384_thumb.jpgpost-8794-1252291372_thumb.jpgpost-8794-1252291391_thumb.jpg

post-8794-1252291372_thumb.jpg

post-8794-1252291384_thumb.jpg

post-8794-1252291391_thumb.jpg

I had to have my rearend replaced under warranty and before it was installed I went to the dealership

to prime and paint it. The new rearend did not have a spec of rust on it and looking back, maybe I should

heve just cleared it and left it natural looking.

Wow that is beautiful,

Steve

Ford a had huge display at Woodward on Mustang Alley & had a 2010 on its side & the first thing I noticed was the rear end & axles were painted. Not sure that this was for display or they finally listened to all the complaints & are finally painting them. These units are sent in from a suppler can`tbelieve it would cost more than $30.00 + to have them painted.

I saw a picture of that display when the 2010 Mustangs were first introduced and had hopes that Ford finally listened and incorporated painted axles. My hopes were quickly dashed when I saw the underside of the first production cars. It was just a smoke screen. At least someone at Ford was ashamed of the rusty axle enough to paint it for marketing purposes.

I just sent this email to Alan:

Alan,

I want you to take a look at these two photos of a brand new 2010 Shelby GT500 with 30 miles on it and a brand new Camaro.

Remember, you are comparing our top of the line flagship Shelby against a lowly $30,000 Camaro and not their Corvette.

Now tell me which one best represents Quality.

My brand new 2010 GT500 looks like a 25 year old daily driver that has been thru a lot of Michigan winters.

Best regards

Steve

Did you notice the thin formed steel brackets that are heavily rusted. Those will be badly pitted pretty fast down here in Fla. It is not just water I am worried about but the corrosive effects of the salt in the air here. The other guys who live in Florida know exactly how bad this will be on our cars near the coast. Bare metal in Florida is not a good thing.

Steve

Steve,

Good luck with it. I remember my father spraying his truck down all underneath it after we went fishing on the Texas coast. Salt in the air 24/7 must be a whole 'nother phenomena to deal with on vehicles. But then again you get to live in a beautiful state.

Erich

Steve count me in--even if it costs something to do this,ill chip in.Ive seen some amazing quality on you tube,so maye we have a talneted person who could do it for us.Think you have my email .BTW, anonther approcah would be to write a note with pics to the variuos Mustang pubs--maybe one of them would pick it up as a human interest story and do a full spread on it. bob

My only problem is I don't think I have the room to take off the wheels too....but maybe I can work around that?? As soon as I saw Grabbers' original post on this.....I added it to my favorites. My car comes in a week.......but this will definitely be a first project. In case you all didn't see it, here is his more-than-helpful write up.............

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=11229&hl=

If you go to your local garage sometimes theyll let you use their lift if its not in use for a small fee.I did that detaling my GTO undercarriage and gave them $200 and they were happy.I used a feinds lift to do my GT500,and it took an hour twice.It takes overnight to cure the rust killer,then putting on the paint/clear next day--witrh masking off,it takes about an hour.That included taping off all the variuos tags and ink spots indrneth as well

Ok Guys get ready to cry. These are shots from underneath a brand new Camaro.

Steve

If Government Motors can make a car look that good on the under side then maybe the Health Care Reform Bill might be ok..lol

Looks like Ford should use the old saying "Beauty is only skin deep" as their sales pitch.

Are you sure that Camaro is not a ringer....

If Government Motors can make a car look that good on the under side then maybe the Health Care Reform Bill might be ok..lol

Looks like Ford should use the old saying "Beauty is only skin deep" as their sales pitch.

Are you sure that Camaro is not a ringer....

Those were photos of two different cars, and I have more. GM really did a nice job finishing the car. they have had paint, trim and mechanical issues just like us but GM is taking care of them. We just want Ford to "Pony Up" and do the same.

Since Ford "advertised/displayed" the new 2010 with a really nice detailed and painted bottom we want Ford to do a "recall" on all 2010 GT500s and give the current owners one of three choices:

1. Dissasemble, clean and paint the cars at the Dealerships

2. Reimburse owners who have already done the work (amount to be determined)

3. Pay a one time cash payment to allow the owners to do the work themselves or at another shop (amt. to be determined).

4. No buy backs involved

We would also like Ford to provide written information to new buyers that the bottom of the car has not been protected against corrosion and rust and that the vehicle will be rusted on delivery.That the deterioration may be accelerated in Coastal areas over time. The disclaimer and warning can be discontinued when the cars are finished at the factory.

Our request will be for 2010 GT500 cars only since that model is the one that was misrepresented. I am sorry but we probably can't help the 2007 thru 2009 boys.

Steve

Archived