TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bumper/Fender Joint Paint problem..How Widespread

War Eagle

Guys,

I am trying to determine how widespread this problem is.

The problem with bad paint at the fender/bumper joint is very common on the 2010, it just varies by degree how bad it is. When I first observed the problem on mine it looked like a piece of paper or plastic was stuck in the joint (line) between the fender and the bumper and was painted over. There was also a small blister in the area. It turns out that the "trash" you see in the joint line is actually the very thin film of paint that did not bond to the bumper and was rubbed off when the parts were assembled. There are some areas on the top of my bumper that have no paint on them at all and you can see the black plastic of the bumper.

It looks like there are several problems with this area.

1. The bumper is not fully painted especially on the top back edge

2. The paint did not bond well in this area

3. They are damaging the part during assembly

4. Parts may be being assembled before paint has fuly cured.

I have touched mine up but worry that the paint adhesion in the damaged area is not good and will eventually fail and the bare spot will be larger.

I believe Ford needs to issue a service bulletin on the problem because I believe it is on most of the cars to some degree, and is not an isolated problem.

The damage can be touched up with a lot of patience and great care. Mine looked as bad as Chris's car but here is how it looks after I spent a week on it.

I am concerned however that the paint has not bonded well in this area and I will have more problems developing later. Before I repaired it there was a very visible bare black spot up to 1/8 inch wide and 1/2 inch long.

Steve

post-25298-1252248082_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252248082_thumb.jpg

Here is the picture again from Chris's car. Mine looked a little worse than this as the paint had come off of the bumper at the joint line down about 1/8 of an inch due to a small blister.

The bumper joint is very flexible in this area.

You can see the "trash" in the joint that is actually rubbed off paint that is balled up in the joint. Mine had spots on the top completely bare of any paint at all.

Steve

post-25298-1252248437_thumb.jpg

post-25298-1252248437_thumb.jpg

Let me add that I checked around 10 Mustang GT/V6 models and none had the issue. Ford is doing a very poor job on this part of the GT500's. I know some of you don't have it, but maybe a few weeks went by when these were painted horrible. It almost looks like it was painted ON the car.

My car has it, and the other one at the dealer. I am having the whole bumper pulled off, destriped, refinished, recleared, and restriped.
Y

You guys way want to think twice about making Ford repaint your front bumper. The new paint job is going to be far lower quality then the factory job. Aftermarket paint SUCKS, especially on a painted plastic front bumper. All the dealer is going to do is remove the front bumper and give it to their paint guy in the back and all he is going to do is is little color and then clear it (3 hours). It might look good for a few weeks but your gonna pissed once it starts to chip due to the poor paint work.

Y

You guys way want to think twice about making Ford repaint your front bumper. The new paint job is going to be far lower quality then the factory job. Aftermarket paint SUCKS, especially on a painted plastic front bumper. All the dealer is going to do is remove the front bumper and give it to their paint guy in the back and all he is going to do is is little color and then clear it (3 hours). It might look good for a few weeks but your gonna pissed once it starts to chip due to the poor paint work.

Then what do we do? Let it just fall off as it is now? =/

Unfortunately in our case the factory quality is horrible.

Y

You are dead right......that is why I repaired it myself with fingers crossed that it will not get worse. The paint adhesion in this area on my car is very, very poor.

Y

I wouldn't let Ford repaint my bumper. However, a quality private body shop I'd have no problem with. The guys who worked on my 05 GT at Owings Collision did a better paint match then the factory on my bumpers. Factory paint (orange peal) ain't all that.

Y

Guys he is right, please do not touch your cars!

I just had Tasca paint my entire hood and the quality is not just worse than factory, it is worse in just one month than the rest of my 07 body. Basically the paint flakes off easily and is much more prone to chipping.

It is absolutely a joke of a paint job but if you think your dealer is going to magically be any better than what I received your dreaming. I took it to TASCA

Huge mistake, worst quality paint work I have ever received. Only thing I can say though is the paint does match and well I have had experiences in the past where the black did not even match!

LEAVE YOUR CARS ALONE AND ENJOY THEM

The dealers will only make them worse not better

I wouldn't let Ford repaint my bumper. However, a quality private body shop I'd have no problem with. The guys who worked on my 05 GT at Owings Collision did a better paint match then the factory on my bumpers. Factory paint (orange peal) ain't all that.

Crap, see I took it to a Ford dealer because I thought they would be better than the private shops?

I have had good quality paint jobs from private places but they never match my factory black paint, not even close!

I always tell people that is why I take it to the dealer and well they tell me that makes no sense because there is no such thing as a Ford body shop using Ford paint and a private one using something else. Basically they all use the same stuff.

Well, all I can say is every time I have used a Ford body shop, the paint always matches perfectly but with poor quality and the private places, the paint color never matches but the quality is good.

Cant you have it both ways!

Crap, see I took it to a Ford dealer because I thought they would be better than the private shops?

I have had good quality paint jobs from private places but they never match my factory black paint, not even close!

I always tell people that is why I take it to the dealer and well they tell me that makes no sense because there is no such thing as a Ford body shop using Ford paint and a private one using something else. Basically they all use the same stuff.

Well, all I can say is every time I have used a Ford body shop, the paint always matches perfectly but with poor quality and the private places, the paint color never matches but the quality is good.

Cant you have it both ways!

I've always found dealer body shops to be the "training grounds" for a lot of the private body shops. At least in my area. However, just like anything else their are good and bad body shops. I've just had better luck with private ones. Paint matching for me hasn't been and issues. I get the match and the quality paint job.

Having had several muscle cars restored,my experience is if you find a good restoration shop,they''ll do an excellent job.They do a base coat clear,buff it out so no orange peel--Id have the whole car wet sanded if I was going to get the bumpers done.They all use thew same paint as the dealer,or should anyway.But you really need a pressurized paint booth to do a decent job. Ask around to local muscle car clubs and see who they use.Probably twice the price of a normal collision shop,but its worth it.Otherwise,id just deal with having a supernice car,with a few blemishes.

Having had several muscle cars restored,my experience is if you find a good restoration shop,they''ll do an excellent job.They do a base coat clear,buff it out so no orange peel--Id have the whole car wet sanded if I was going to get the bumpers done.They all use thew same paint as the dealer,or should anyway.But you really need a pressurized paint booth to do a decent job. Ask around to local muscle car clubs and see who they use.Probably twice the price of a normal collision shop,but its worth it.Otherwise,id just deal with having a supernice car,with a few blemishes.

X2

The only way to duplicate the factory finish is to find a classic restorer and have them do the paint. They will treat your car like it was a classic Shelby and give it the attention a $50,000 car deserves unlike the dealer body shop. Dealers could care less about our satisfaction after they perform body work. Truth is, it looks good when you pick it up and then after you drive it on the highway you will start to see the paint chipping off. They spray the paint thin to save $$$. Sure any body shop will tell you they do great work cuz they want your $$$ but do some research before you decide on a body shop. Take a look at their previously painted bumpers after a few months and then make your decision.

Dont be so careless with body shop selection guys, isn't this your dream car you worked so hard to get.

I'd just live with it but this is why next time around I think I am not buying without looking the whole car over but when you custom order it, you really dont have that option lol

Exactly, and had my dealer gave me the heads up on when the car was coming I could have been there to inspect it. I would have caught a lot of things their guys seems to have missed. That way they could have filed against the shipping insurance.

It must be, cuz I don't have any problem at all.

were your 2 cars made the same week?/Humidity has a huge affect on paint,and Im wondering if wheerever theyre painted had a high humidity day,and painted anyway.I know, we had a plant that did some high quality painting,baked on finish etc,and wound up having to AC the whole place because humidity would kill us in the summer

were your 2 cars made the same week?/Humidity has a huge affect on paint,and Im wondering if wheerever theyre painted had a high humidity day,and painted anyway.I know, we had a plant that did some high quality painting,baked on finish etc,and wound up having to AC the whole place because humidity would kill us in the summer

Maybe a coincidence and all 3 cars were already repainted by a dealer after shipping damage or by Ford after factory damage then all shipped to the same dealer?

Maybe a coincidence and all 3 cars were already repainted by a dealer after shipping damage or by Ford after factory damage then all shipped to the same dealer?

^

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe these cars got damaged during shipping and have already been re-painted by the dealer body shop. That would explain the tape lines.

Just goes to show the quality of the dealer's body shop.

Interesting, On my front bumper, passenger side, where the bumber meets the body I found a bubble and the paint eventually came off revealing a black spot. I have not looked at it closer, sounds like I need too. I have a Grabber Blue 2010 with 700 miles on it.

That's 4. Sorry to hear man =/

Mine is passenger side only, so is the other one at my dealer. Driver side is fine.

^

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe these cars got damaged during shipping and have already been re-painted by the dealer body shop. That would explain the tape lines.

Just goes to show the quality of the dealer's body shop.

I don't think so, mine appears to have been done at the factory and was a result of either:

1. Parts assembled before paint was cured

2. Right top corner of bumper was not completely painted

3. This area was contaminated and paint did not adhere well

4. improper assembly and paint finish was damaged.

The paint on the top of my bumper is very thin with bare spots with no paint at all.

When you first see the problem it looks like a piece of paper, plastic or other trash caught in the joint line. What you are actually looking at is the thin layer of paint balled up in the joint where it came off the bumper during assembly. Upon closer inspection you will or may see slight blistering near the joint where the paint has been separated from the bumper. When the top right corner of the bumper is pulled very slightly outwards you will see the full extent of the damage. It appears to be very localized in this one area.

On mine the paint simply flaked off in a line about 3/4 inches long with varying damage down on to the bumper measuring 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide.

Steve

Wait a minute, Owings Collision near the PA/MD line? Those guys are the WORST!!! They worked on my 1993 Cobra and it looked like a blind person with downs syndrome did the work. The clear coat was cracking, had over spray everywhere, orange peal everywhere, and had more fish eyes in the paint then the Gorton's Fishermen's factory. I'm shocked those clowns are still around.

If they really did a good job on your car then I'm glad their shatty work is getting better. I guess they learned that a little prep work goes a long way...

Archived