TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Equipment on base package

teranfon

Hi everyone.

I wondered if I could ask a few questions if I may in regards to the specific equipment on the base package.

I spoke with SAI today, and they informed me that the 18' wheels and tires listed for the base package is incorrect. The gentleman I spoke to informed me this is incorrect and in fact NO tires and rims are included. The customer in responsible for supplying the rim/tire package. The base package also does NOT include the shifter, and the exhaust used in the side exit. This is contrary to what I have seen in photographs. There also seems to be some confusion in regards to the front facia, and that perhaps the lower grill is not supplied and the upper grill is different than that of the performance package.

The base package is rather appealing, and I like the flexibility of being able to add the performance package at a later time. That being said, it would be helpful knowing what is included in the base package as to minimize the cost of adding the performance package at a later date. If the front facia with correct grill inserts are included in the package, and the 20'' Razors are available at time of modification, then this would certainly help with a future upgrade to the performance package.

If anyone who has purchased a base package or is familiar with them can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Take care everyone,

Terry

According to the Terlingua brochure I have the 18" 5 spoke Shelby GT style aluminum wheels (with 235/50-18 tires) and FRPP short throw shifter are included in the V6 base package. The exhaust is not listed for the base package. That being said my brochure is a year old.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/vehicles/Terlingua.asp

Be sure to see the note at the bottom that says:

Pricing, options and availability subject to change without notice

I guess that could mean anything

Edit - now that I look at it closer, they have changes the brochure and it doesn't make much since. It says you get the 6 piston brakes and then it says you get the 18" bullit wheels on the base package - that will not work. Those brakes will not fit behind those wheels. It does say that the shifter but only the performance package gets the side exhaust. As far as the fascia - the borchure says you get the front fascia but no grill (that's strange).

I think that the new brochure is a little messy.

I found the old flyer from this part of the website http://www.shelbyautos.com/Terlingua.asp

here is the flyer

http://www.shelbyautos.com/images/TerlinguaFlyer.pdf

it is a little less confusing. It is what I had ours built off of, but I don't know what still applies. Remember - everything is subject to change.

Good luck. What color car do you have?

Like everyone else is posting, each build seems to vary a bit and the "subject to change" rule does apply!

My, "completed, but as yet not certified," base package includes the rear exit--dual exhaust system with GT500 rear fascia.

It also has the Ford Racing handling package, but not the CAI system indicated in earlier flyers.

Don't know if I got the strut tower brace--time to make another call.

We did add the 8.8 rear axle with 3.73 gears too.

Here's a photo of the rear exhaust/GT500 fascia set-up for our car.

(Photo was from several weeks ago and it was not completed then.)

dudley001-1.jpg

........--time to make another call.

We did add the 8.8 rear axle with 3.73 gears too.

Going to make another call - good luck with that

I will say the 3.73 gears are a very good choice. Now that we have them on the Terlingua, I can't wait to but them on my SGT :happy feet:

I found the old flyer from this part of the website http://www.shelbyautos.com/Terlingua.asp

here is the flyer

http://www.shelbyautos.com/images/TerlinguaFlyer.pdf

it is a little less confusing. It is what I had ours built off of, but I don't know what still applies. Remember - everything is subject to change.

Good luck. What color car do you have?

Thanks for the information everyone. There certainly seems to be some confusion. The price for a performance package has now jumped to $25 000.

dh777:

I'm looking for one now, either black or yellow in colour.

Terry

:lurk: Yep, the price has jumped a ton...I was told about the price increase about two weeks ago when I asked sales how much it would be to upgrade to the high pro version. As far as my car, I believe, only because of pictures, that ours has the handling package with the bar, side exhaust, a California Special rear, a Terlingua gas door, no brake kit, and, this is a GIGANTIC disappointment for us, no wheels or tires at all (other than the ones it rolled in on) :cry: Again, we are only going on the pictures that SAI have sent us, so I have no idea what the car will really look like. They are not real forthcoming on exactly what you are getting for your money. Sort of like a big surprise. We are not sure as of yet how we feel about the whole deal. We are really wishing wheels and tires show up when we go to pick up the car, but after seeing the last picture with no new wheels, and after seeing the new info above in this thread, that hope is dropping fast. I think this may have diminished our joy a lot, as I don't believe I am going to receive the car I ordered. Yes, they did give us the Borla side exhaust, but as far as cost, the side exhaust is not that much more than the rear exhaust. I don't see where the lost tires and wheels are compensated for in other areas. The added gas door is nice, but it sure isn't tires and wheels. However, I do understand the "change at any time" policy, but don't feel that should be done to cars in production without notice to the customer....not happy here.... :banghead:

:lurk: Yep, the price has jumped a ton...I was told about the price increase about two weeks ago when I asked sales how much it would be to upgrade to the high pro version. As far as my car, I believe, only because of pictures, that ours has the handling package with the bar, side exhaust, a California Special rear, a Terlingua gas door, no brake kit, and, this is a GIGANTIC disappointment for us, no wheels or tires at all (other than the ones it rolled in on) :cry: Again, we are only going on the pictures that SAI have sent us, so I have no idea what the car will really look like. They are not real forthcoming on exactly what you are getting for your money. Sort of like a big surprise. We are not sure as of yet how we feel about the whole deal. We are really wishing wheels and tires show up when we go to pick up the car, but after seeing the last picture with no new wheels, and after seeing the new info above in this thread, that hope is dropping fast. I think this may have diminished our joy a lot, as I don't believe I am going to receive the car I ordered. Yes, they did give us the Borla side exhaust, but as far as cost, the side exhaust is not that much more than the rear exhaust. I don't see where the lost tires and wheels are compensated for in other areas. The added gas door is nice, but it sure isn't tires and wheels. However, I do understand the "change at any time" policy, but don't feel that should be done to cars in production without notice to the customer....not happy here.... :banghead:

I'm sorry it hasn't been a complete satisfaction for you check6. I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I decide to finalize a build. SAI phoned me back this afternoon and tells me the short throw shifter and SIDE exhaust is now standard on the base package. And that a tire/rim package was never offered on the base package. I was under the impression that it was due to the brochure. Did you have to request the Borla side exhaust? Or was it automatically added to the package. The gentleman from SAI told me the information will be updated shortly to reflect the actual pricing and components used.

I hope things work out for you and you're satisfied. Please keep me apprised how it works out. I've been conversing, and even flew down to visit, Sean Hyland Motorsports in Canada in regards to a conversion. They seem quite accommodating and excited to build a Terlingua.

Terry

I'm sorry it hasn't been a complete satisfaction for you check6. I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I decide to finalize a build. SAI phoned me back this afternoon and tells me the short throw shifter and SIDE exhaust is now standard on the base package. And that a tire/rim package was never offered on the base package. I was under the impression that it was due to the brochure. Did you have to request the Borla side exhaust? Or was it automatically added to the package. The gentleman from SAI told me the information will be updated shortly to reflect the actual pricing and components used.

I hope things work out for you and you're satisfied. Please keep me apprised how it works out. I've been conversing, and even flew down to visit, Sean Hyland Motorsports in Canada in regards to a conversion. They seem quite accommodating and excited to build a Terlingua.

Terry

They added it. We were only aware of it through pictures. The wheels and tire WERE part of base packages when we delivered our car in May. But, they do have the right to change the packages. Our major complaint is the lack of communication. We can not get timely responses from some of the SAI personnel. Doug in sales, and Bud have been pretty good at getting back with us, but now as we get near the pick up date, the emails and phone calls have not been timely. As an example, we had arranged to rent a pickup truck to bring back the take off parts, really just for the old tires and wheels as I have no use for the hood. We have mentioned this, namely the need for the truck due to the old tires and wheels, in several emails to SAI. They never mentioned that we were not getting wheels! So, in the end, we have just come to grips with the fact that we will get what ever they decide we get, and that will be OUR base package Terlingua. Perhaps that is another selling point; they all seam to be a tad, or a lot, different.

Terry

That is patently false!

In fact, SAI told us that instead of the "Bullit" wheels, that we HAD to take the 18" Razor's. Here is the car as delivered to us (unfinished stripes and all).

p1012417ds4.jpg

Shot with E-500 at 2008-12-22

It looks like SAI still has learned Nothing from their past customer relations debacles. "Subject-to-Change" certainly applies BEFORE the sale, but AFTER the sale SAI has an obligation to perform the services which were contracted for at the time of sale! And the amount of changes over the course of just 12 months seems to be more than absurd.

It has been said before, and apparently continues to be true, that if this company had ANY other name attached to it then it would surely fail due to poor customer service...............

That is patently false!

In fact, SAI told us that instead of the "Bullit" wheels, that we HAD to take the 18" Razor's. Here is the car as delivered to us (unfinished stripes and all).

p1012417ds4.jpg

Shot with E-500 at 2008-12-22

It looks like SAI still has learned Nothing from their past customer relations debacles. "Subject-to-Change" certainly applies BEFORE the sale, but AFTER the sale SAI has an obligation to perform the services which were contracted for at the time of sale! And the amount of changes over the course of just 12 months seems to be more than absurd.

It has been said before, and apparently continues to be true, that if this company had ANY other name attached to it then it would surely fail due to poor customer service...............

I agree. I could not run my business this way. Oh, and how many cars have been produced over the past 12 months? How long has Blip been waiting? Without the name there is nothing left. With the economy the way it is I had some serious concerns while our car was in. They had 1/2 the money and the car. They way the business is run I'm suprised it doesn't go under. And we were wondering what would happen to our money and the car if that happened. Shelby certainly has a lot of room for improvement. If they would just listen to what their customers concerns are like most businesses do!

I guess the price increase is to cover vehicle storage and extra personel to handle customers asking "where is my car?". Or in my case "where is my engine bay badge that was suppose to be on my car when I picked it up a month and a half ago?". I can't count the number of phone calls and emails that have been ignored on that issue alone! Is it that difficult?

This is starting to look like an example of "how not to build" customer loyality. I can't wait to get our car, but if I was just thinking about ordering one today, not sure I would do it again given what I've gone through so far. I do believe these will be somewhat rare and very unique cars with no two being quite alike.

I went through 3 price increases from the time of my deposit until delivery of our car to the Mod Shop. Tasca has told me that the price was locked at the point. They did have trouble figuring out what was included with my kit as SAI kept changing the kit listing.

18" BLACK spoke Shelby GT wheels were shipped with my base kit.

:doh: I'm glad we are not alone on this subject. I could except the long wait, if SAI would just keep us in the loop. But, ignoring phone calls and emails is not helping build a strong relationship. Blip, I'm glad you will get the wheels. But, is TASCA making you pay the new price increases? SAI has not talked about that, and I assume that I will pay the price the car was when we gave them our car. This will turn downright ugly if they try that. :finger:

But, I do need to say that some of SAI's employees have been great to us. They have returned emails and phone calls along with sending pictures of the build. But, at times, it seams as if the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They have one person that is supposed to be the go to person for our build, but that person does not return calls nor emails...it's funny how one person can cause a breakdown in the communication chain....

I must admit the experiences of some of you are not adding to my confidence of having a car modified. It does seem that each car is somewhat different, depending on what is available at the time to the mod shops. It would make it easier and would supply the customer with more confidence if there was some continuity involved with the entire manufacturing process. Personally, I don't mind waiting in an instance such as this, but the concern of some of you what the finished product will be makes me a little hesitant.

Terry

I would hate for you to pull out based on our experience. The Terlingua is a fantastic car and well worth the wait. But, having said that, you must be willing to endure the "mystery" and "suspense" of a Shelby build. I know we will love the car, once we get it. But, the process sure is nerve wracking. As Forest Gump said, and I'm taking literary liberty here, "A Terlingua build is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get."

Viva Terlingua!!! :happy feet:

I'm with check6 on this one, don't pull out based on our situations, but be empowered to learn from our "challenges" to get things nailed down in writing with your mod shop.

That's where the money is going in my case--I sent my money to Tasca, and they deal with SAI, not me.

"Roll Bunnies!"

There is research that shows the more difficult/onerous the initiation, the more one values membership.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a knowing appeal to that principle. Every time one of the Shelby entities gets something right, it's just a matter of when something else will come up that doesn't reflect well on them. I seem to remember the builders lay the blame on not having the parts to build with. Is that the case?

You have to follow the money: it's where the power is. I know many of you have custom-built houses, and I find it hard to believe you'd put out as large a portion of the final amount required, before having some verifiable and quickly-communicated progress reports in hand, as those who made a deposit and left a car with a build shop did.

If there is enough experience with "phases" in the building of Terlinguas, perhaps it would be possible to agree with the builder on payments at the end of completed phases, and penalties for tardy completions?

Shelby's name is truly magic, but there is a point where magic doesn't get it done. And the magic will decline, if the name becomes associated with sharp business practices and unreliable performance.

It is gratifying that Shelby is maintaining enough control of the process to ensure a quality product. If they could only manage to make the process less painful and seemingly ill-managed, I wouldn't worry. But I do worry that Shelby is spread too thin at management levels, maybe a necessary evil in this economy.

Hi everyone, I wanted to update you all on our base Terlingua build wheel issue. We are in communication with SAI and have faith that this issue will be resolved to all parties satisfaction. I had a very enjoyable phone call with SAI this evening and look forward to an amenable agreement. Thanks to everyone who is following this. :happy feet: :happy feet: Oh, I'm happy again!

Leann

Hi Leann

Good to hear things are working out. When you can, could you let me know what wheels (if any) they now consider part of the package?

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry, wheels are no longer a part of the base package. The high pro version will still recieve the 20" razors.

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: Hello again! We have reached an agreement with SAI concerning our wheel issue and we are more than happy with the settlement. Let's just say that SAI has taken the high ground in this and absolutely exceeded our expectations. We are happy, happy campers, ur make that bunnies! :happy feet:

Leann and Rob

Thanks for the information Leann and Rob. I'm glad things are working out. I see that SAI also updated the brochure today to reflect the actual equipment in each package.

I may joining you shortly, as I spoke the SHM again this morning. We are working on a base package with an additional 8.8 3.73, twenty inch Razors, and "14 Pro-Plus Baer brakes.

Terry

Thanks for the information Leann and Rob. I'm glad things are working out. I see that SAI also updated the brochure today to reflect the actual equipment in each package.

I may joining you shortly, as I spoke the SHM again this morning. We are working on a base package with an additional 8.8 3.73, twenty inch Razors, and "14 Pro-Plus Baer brakes.

Terry

Very cool! Doug in sales and Bud in production will take care of you very nicely.

Leann

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: Hello again! We have reached an agreement with SAI concerning our wheel issue and we are more than happy with the settlement. Let's just say that SAI has taken the high ground in this and absolutely exceeded our expectations. We are happy, happy campers, ur make that bunnies! :happy feet:

Leann and Rob

Great news!!!

Roll Bunnies! :happy feet:

VB

Terry

Terry,

That sounds awesome! Congrats. Let us know if and when you go for it and what the donor car will be and of course the color!

Roll Bunnies! :drool:

VB

Archived