TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3.55 or 3.73 Gear Ratio, which one is better?

mustangshelbygt500

2009 GT500 with intake, chip(600hp at the crank)and stock 3.3 gear ratio. Which one is better 3.55 or 3.73, I want a nice acceleration, but I don't want to break the tires lose every time I shift, what's your experiences? Appreciate it

It depends what you what you want to do with your car. If you are going to take it on a road course, I would recommend the 3.73 set up. I have a supercharged SGT with the 3.55 set up (standard on the SGT). I was last on a road course on 08-22-09 and it was a 2.5 mile course. No question in my mind that the 3.73 setup would have allowed higher speeds on the relatively short straightaway. I have never understood why so many GT500 drivers have the problem of breaking the tires loose. My car has about the same horsepower and torque numbers as the GT500 and weighs about 400 pounds less. I can certainly break the tires loose any time I want (and I run GT500 tires and wheels on my SGT) but only if I choose to do it. It may just mean you need to practice more ;) and to do that, you have to drive your Shelby more. Consider this a prescription for more Shelby driving. Good luck with your gearing issue. If you make it to the birthday bash in January 2010 in Vegas, I am sure you could persuade folks who have a car with the gears you are considering to at least give you a ride if not let you drive the car.

Jim

Changing from the stock 3.31 to 3.55 will not not be much of a difference. You should know that we have had a number of members complain of excessive rear end noise after installing the 3.73

If you bought the car used did you get the handheld tuning programmer with the car? There are no chips any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, 3:73's are a great "All Around" Gear. You can really tell a difference and they wont make any noise if installed right. With the 3:73's, you can still travel on the Interstates at 80MPH with no problems. If you do change them out, I highly recommend that you also change out the Bearings (3) and the Crush Sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 410's in my sgt. I didn't want the 373's on account they were to close to the 355's i had. Since you have the 331's then you will certainly feel a difference. If your car wasn't s/c like mine the the 410's would be great. I just returned from Austin and got 23.7 miles per gal. going 70 and 75mph when possible and i had about 45 minutes of idle time waiting on my wife at a couple of stores. 410's have made my car much quicker and it cruises very good on the hiway at about 300 to 400 more rpm's. To many people try to scare other's about 410's but they are great gears on the road with the 5 and 6 speeds unlike the old 4 speeds.

JMO, I think the 3.73's are a nice compromise..it's what I'll be doing if I decide to get gears

One caveat. Keep in mind that everyone...and I DO mean EVERYONE has a different experience with their own cars/gears/usage/etc.

For example, many will tell you that 3.73's are noisy, others will tell you that if installed correctly that there will be no noise. Both are patently untrue. It depends on your car. It does depend on the install, but it can be perfectly "to spec" and whine like crazy. There is a difference between the suppliers of Ford gears as well and personal experiences have varied widely regarding noise.

In my particular case, I went from 3.31s to 3.73s. They were noisy as hell. I had them re-install that set as well as install another completely new set. All were noisy. I had another SVT tech tell me that both were bad installs and that he has never had one make noise (which again, is untrue if he's done more than one). So, I let him try it. Guess what....noise.

I now have 4.10s. Even more noise. Again, that's not unusual.

I have seen three (yes three) brand spanking new rears, factory assembled, that made all kinds of noise. In fact, I have a friend that has one sitting in his shop right now that does the same thing.

Don't expect quiet. If you get it, it's a bonus. If you don't, you won't be disappointed.

One other quick thing...S/C or not, it still depends on your application. 3.73 is a better gear for MOST drivers on a 1/4 mile. With my 4.10s, my 60' times suffer because I can't get there in 1st. Max speed with 4.10s at 6400 is 39-40mph and you can't get to 60' unless you absolutely dead hook...and again, that's very rare.

Food for thought from someone that's been there, done that, got the t-shirt....and has been on a track once. Or twice. Or.....

Again, these are MY experiences. Yours will likely vary.

bj

Archived