TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Setting Up My New Garage!

Jer

FINALLY!

I made it to Vegas, and we move into our new house next week.

It's got a 2 car garage that's all mine, just needs to fit the SGT and my stuff.

I need to buy a workbench, air compressor, floorjack, shop-vac, etc...

Already got plenty of drawers and tool storage, with two of those Craftsman 3 piece tool chest towers (bottom, mid-chest, top).

Recommend stuff you like, keep value in mind, this is just a hobbyist shop and the house and move are already costing plenty, so... <grin>

BTW, Already got the huge Shelby banner. Heh heh heh...

Jer

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Edited by Jer

Heavy duty shelving, helps reduce garage clutter. Check out the lighting in the garage, you may want to add some over head lights. I set mine up with a light directly over the engine compartment, the roof of the car and the trunk area. Makes it nice for waxing and detailing.

Beer fridge...

HI-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:beerchug:

Lights, lights and more light, the long florescent units are inexpensive...

Plugs, plugs and more plugs...and have these up higher than normal in case of work bench installations

bury your air lines behind the walls

epoxy floor coating

and the MOST important point.

You hold the keys, no bicycles, toys or garden tools, MOTORSPORTS equipment only!

Edited by Cali_KR

First, lights

Second, hvac

Third, floor coating

Fourth, shelves, storage, racks, cabinets, bins

Everything else will fill up #4!

Have fun setting it up! After 30 years of married life, we built a new house and I finally got to drag out all the posters and junk I've been storing all this time. Movie poster from Gran Prix, Sir Paul & Wings, several Nascar pieces, even some old Hot Wheels posters I've had since I was a kid!

Enjoy it!

These are all great ideas, mine would be a super sturdy work bench, one you can put a 50lbs vise on and reef the hell out of stuff. Mine is about 400lbs and bolted to the wall itself, my old one just didn't cut the mustard, moved too much on heavy applications.

What do you guys think of this?

I won't be doing any MAJOR projects, but I've always wanted one.

This is a wall-mount, so I ccan work it in without too much space penalty...

Jer

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

These are all great ideas, mine would be a super sturdy work bench, one you can put a 50lbs vise on and reef the hell out of stuff. Mine is about 400lbs and bolted to the wall itself, my old one just didn't cut the mustard, moved too much on heavy applications.

+1

I scrapped the cheap workbench I had and made this one...

DSC09124.JPG

Then I got carried away, again, as per usual!!

DSC09174.JPG

This storage is real handy...

DSC09170.JPG

we put up a 40x40 block foundation garage- like a three car but double deep, backsides in a small hill, got a door 3' off the ground in the back wall with a lift-slash-car elevator in front of the rear door...so full of junk I can hardly walk thru it already...the 'wifes' garage is also three wide, attached to the house.

biggest thing I wish I woulda done was put a 'mezzanine' up over the back wall IN BOTH GARAGES for all the stuff like christmas decorations thats stored most of the year...put up a lot of heavy palletracking shelves, but hate all that stuff in the garage...would rather put all those totes up above the machinery on the back wall, out of the way but better yet, mostly out of sight. A buddy of mines got a 24x24x12' ceilings(ours is 11) and he put a mezzanine up with foldaway steps and can put all his non-car stuff up there, all you see is a couple steel beams from below- even a 3~4'high area for totes would sure eliminate a lot of clutter, put a good tarp over the front of it and stuff wouldnt get dusty if running machines, grinding, painting...thinking a heavy canvas industrial tarp 'paint booth' would be handy too- they put tarp 'walls' up at work in the winter to separate unheated parts of the building, and they look good and work suprisingly well...

next on my list is a big plastic shed for the kids to put there bikes in- got a whole bay of kids toys(pallet racking separates from car parking area) that I really hate worrying about them being in there... I'd run conduit/pullboxes for outlets along the walls before putting up any shelving...seems never enough outlets/220 plugs where you eventually need one...

There is a great book called "building an auto workshop" or something like that from HP books if I remember right. I got mine from Amazon. I built (I mean built not hired out) a 24x42x12 high shop with a 24x24 outdoor parking pad. I have 300 amps of power and 42 4 foot florescent light bulbs in there a 14x10high door and a 20x8high door both coil type doors. I have more 220 and 110 outlets than a Goodyear store...Welder and a PLasma at once is not a big deal. Add a 220 drill press and you still can run more.

Thats what I learned from that book...power power power and outlets. Lots of light. And most importantly if you are going to add windows make them the size that no one can crawl through very easily and make them obscured glass so no one can see in.

I have 6 windows 2' high by 6' long that are transom type two panels with obscured glass....city living.

Having had two other shops that I did not build from scratch, I modified both of them to have more power and the compressor outside.

I agree to keep all other non-car/gearhead stuff out otherwise you will have a mess...been there.

Get some good lights and a 220v line for a compressor and/or a welder. Or dedicated 120v high amp lines for the same depending on your equipment.

Also put the compressor out and away from your shop if you can, its quietier...

All the fancy stuff is nice but if you are working on cars not looking at them anything works thats dry and concrete floor.

I once changed a tranny out on the street in the snow...man I wanted to drive that wildcat. Haha...;)

What do you guys think of this?

I won't be doing any MAJOR projects, but I've always wanted one.

This is a wall-mount, so I ccan work it in without too much space penalty...

Jer

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

3.8 CFM at 90psi is not a lot of air.

I bought a Sears unit on wheels that the sales guy said would run any tool, ...175 psi, 8.6 cfm at 40 psi and 6.8 cfm at 90 psi, oil less.

It will run for a bit then kick in and it's noisy; the higher flow tools will starve. You have to be really careful what tools you buy.

I'm so sorry I didn't wait for a 60 gal stand up 220 model with at least 10+ cfm at 90 psi.

FINALLY!

I made it to Vegas, and we move into our new house next week.

It's got a 2 car garage that's all mine, just needs to fit the SGT and my stuff.

I need to buy a workbench, air compressor, floorjack, shop-vac, etc...

Already got plenty of drawers and tool storage, with two of those Craftsman 3 piece tool chest towers (bottom, mid-chest, top).

Recommend stuff you like, keep value in mind, this is just a hobbyist shop and the house and move are already costing plenty, so... <grin>

BTW, Already got the huge Shelby banner. Heh heh heh...

Jer

IMG_0217.jpg

PATTON makes quality Air Compressors and all that at affordable prices...plus their Blue too

+1

I scrapped the cheap workbench I had and made this one...

DSC09124.JPG

Then I got carried away, again, as per usual!!

DSC09174.JPG

This storage is real handy...

DSC09170.JPG

That's what I'm talking about, very nice!!

:shift: