TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tick! Yes, I just read around 40 threads using search

ChrisSD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Triton engines have a cam phaser which is notorious for making ticking noises, but the 4 valve engines dont have the phasers.

I heard the tick a few times on my engine when it had about 800 miles brought on only after a dealer changed the oil for me, but it has never been back since. During that time I checked the oil to make sure they filled it to the correct amount, which it was. I saw a small, very small, piece of what I believe was filter media. The dealer installed the called for FL820s Motorcraft filter, so I though since the engine was new, the pressures were somewhere around 90 psi cold. My thoughts were maybe the high pressures tore some of the filter media loose and was blocking one of the small oil passages in the head? So I changed the oil again, but used a Ford Racing Filter this time. I also changed the plugs to Densos at this time and never heard the noise again. I currently have about 2300 miles on that same oil, but will be changing it again soon.

I spoke to a couple of the regional traveling engineers, who stated that its common with the 4 valve engines to tick and to not be afraid to run the engine hard. My translation of that statement: We are aware of the problem, but dont know exactly what it is, so try and break it. This way we can identify the problem to fix it. I have also seen others who have had the Lash Adjusters either replaced or readjusted. They reported to have somewhat fixed the problem, to curing it. I wouldnt be afraid to run the car hard. Its a durable engine.

Ford just posted this in response to the noise concerns,

2755 - 2007-2010 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 NORMAL ENGINE NOISE

SOME 2007-2010 MUSTANG GT500 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT CLATTER/TICK/TAP CHARACTERISTIC ENGINE NOISE. THE NOISE MAY BE CAUSED BY TOLERANCE STACK UP, NOT A SINGLE COMPONENT. DUE TO MANUFACTURING VARIANCES, ALL OF THESE ENGINES WILL EXHIBIT SOME LEVEL OF NOISE. AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE THROUGH THE WHEEL WELL, UNDER THE VEHICLE AND WITH AN OPEN HOOD, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 303-00. UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS SUCH AS COLD ENGINE STARTS AND ENGINE STARTUP AFTER PROLONGED PERIODS, AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE DURING ENGINE WARM UP PERIOD. THOROUGH TESTING HAS FOUND NO DURABILITY OR PERFORMANCE LOSS FROM THIS CONDITION

just thought you would want to know.

Blah. I wonder if they'll name the TSB after me?

Well, it's annoying, but I guess I am now less annoyed knowing there is "nothing wrong" functionally and reliability wise.

I'll definitely have to thank all those involved.

Ford needs to recheck what they think are acceptable tolerances. It's not fun having people ask me why my "lifters are ticking" every time I start my car.

Blah. I wonder if they'll name the TSB after me?

Well, it's annoying, but I guess I am now less annoyed knowing there is "nothing wrong" functionally and reliability wise.

I'll definitely have to thank all those involved.

Ford needs to recheck what they think are acceptable tolerances. It's not fun having people ask me why my "lifters are ticking" every time I start my car.

Great work Chris. Thanks for driving this issue. It is good to know that nothing internally is wrong.

I spoke with the FSE when I picked up my car. Was a very nice guy and smart as could be. Knew everything about these cars and explained everything to me. In my case Ford went above and beyond. Obviously I don't like the tick but I am not freaked out about it anymore. Ford and the dealer addressed my other concerns and fixed them. I will make a new post detailing my issues and the resolutions, maybe it will help others out. Obviously if you have a tick you should always get it checked out, your issue may be different than mine. Ford has thoroughly documented mine though so at least it is in the system now and other dealer techs can draw from the experience.

Ford just posted this in response to the noise concerns,

2755 - 2007-2010 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 NORMAL ENGINE NOISE

SOME 2007-2010 MUSTANG GT500 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT CLATTER/TICK/TAP CHARACTERISTIC ENGINE NOISE. THE NOISE MAY BE CAUSED BY TOLERANCE STACK UP, NOT A SINGLE COMPONENT. DUE TO MANUFACTURING VARIANCES, ALL OF THESE ENGINES WILL EXHIBIT SOME LEVEL OF NOISE. AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE THROUGH THE WHEEL WELL, UNDER THE VEHICLE AND WITH AN OPEN HOOD, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 303-00. UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS SUCH AS COLD ENGINE STARTS AND ENGINE STARTUP AFTER PROLONGED PERIODS, AUDIBLE NOISE MAY BE MORE NOTICEABLE DURING ENGINE WARM UP PERIOD. THOROUGH TESTING HAS FOUND NO DURABILITY OR PERFORMANCE LOSS FROM THIS CONDITION

just thought you would want to know.

Another Broadcast message.

No TSB on this one because there is no fix.

Archived