TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roush O/R Cat-back on a 2010 GT500??

2sharpie

Hi Chris,

Glad you like your Shelby, looks good. I told you that the sound of the Roush's was great. I believe the only color that they sound good on is Sterling Gray. Have fun with her. I find that its a pleasure to drive any chance that I get and I enjoy going to work now because I get to drive it.

Thanks.........you were absolutely right. I'm glad I went with the Roush...........I finally got to drive it today after working midnights all weekend and had the biggest damn smile on my face the whole time. What an awesome car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That setup looks nice (4" tips, I guess). What is the difference between the Roush system and the Magnaflow/SLP muff delete system? I noticed that you said that there is very little drone (@2100 rpm)?! I thought that the muffler is needed for sound deadening and DRONE...I love the sound from your vids. I just can't get that there won't be serious drone without mufflers...Educate me, I admit, I am not the most educated on our cars yet.

How would you compare this sound with the Borla/FRPP stinger setup?

Scott

4" tips . I think I will take a video from inside the car for everyone too. Its hard to explain since I sold my last Cobra 5 years ago, but I really didnt notice a difference in drone from the stock exhaust. I have a dual Borla system in my V8 4runner, and that definitely has an annoying drone around 2000 rpm. So I know what everyone is concerned about. But as far as the Shelby, Yes, it is louder when you punch it, sounds definitely more aggressive, but at idle and cruising speeds it just sound BADASS........I dont hear anything out of the ordinary, which people would describe as that terrible drone or sound like your in a dryer!!! Let me state that I have freakishly exceptional hearing too.......we have full physicals every other year at my job, and my hearing levels are literally "off the chart".....so you would think if there was a droning issue it would really bother me.........so I say there is nothing but pure bliss!!!! The system says its comes with resonators in it........maybe I'm assuming that eliminates the drone???. But nevertheless it is music to my ears..........I wouldnt hesistate about putting this on my Shelby, and I think its by far the best mod. LikeI said, stock sounds great too......................but this thing is Bonerific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion, I didnt think the FRPP/Borla set up was burbbly enough......almost a deeper, flatter tone to me But again, my opinion.

Chris

4" tips . I think I will take a video from inside the car for everyone too. Its hard to explain since I sold my last Cobra 5 years ago, but I really didnt notice a difference in drone from the stock exhaust. I have a dual Borla system in my V8 4runner, and that definitely has an annoying drone around 2000 rpm. So I know what everyone is concerned about. But as far as the Shelby, Yes, it is louder when you punch it, sounds definitely more aggressive, but at idle and cruising speeds it just sound BADASS........I dont hear anything out of the ordinary, which people would describe as that terrible drone or sound like your in a dryer!!! Let me state that I have freakishly exceptional hearing too.......we have full physicals every other year at my job, and my hearing levels are literally "off the chart".....so you would think if there was a droning issue it would really bother me.........so I say there is nothing but pure bliss!!!! The system says its comes with resonators in it........maybe I'm assuming that eliminates the drone???. But nevertheless it is music to my ears..........I wouldnt hesistate about putting this on my Shelby, and I think its by far the best mod. LikeI said, stock sounds great too......................but this thing is Bonerific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion, I didnt think the FRPP/Borla set up was burbbly enough......almost a deeper, flatter tone to me But again, my opinion.

Chris

Thanks for the info!!! You have now officially screwed up my brain on what I think/thought I wanted for an exhaust setup. Get those vids...in car, drive by (with a load), take off...ect.

Scott

I heard and looked at the Roush Extreme's on a 2010 Roush 427R yesterday at the Lacy, WA "Ponys in the Park"....

The owner had the dealer upgrade his 427R to the extremes before he took delivery a few weeks ago-

It sounded real sweet!!!! I know a few other Roush owners took note and will be putting in orders this week..

I heard and looked at the Roush Extreme's on a 2010 Roush 427R yesterday at the Lacy, WA "Ponys in the Park"....

The owner had the dealer upgrade his 427R to the extremes before he took delivery a few weeks ago-

It sounded real sweet!!!! I know a few other Roush owners took note and will be putting in orders this week..

I drove a 2010 Roush 427R with the Extreme Race Exhaust this past weekend. The exhaust was absolutely phenomenal. It sounded great driving, I noticed everyone looking when I drove by, and it sounded great when the salesman was driving it back over to its parking spot. Take away impressions.... The 427R is a pansy vs the Shelby.... and I want that Roush Exhaust when I get the Shelby!

I drove a 2010 Roush 427R with the Extreme Race Exhaust this past weekend. The exhaust was absolutely phenomenal. It sounded great driving, I noticed everyone looking when I drove by, and it sounded great when the salesman was driving it back over to its parking spot. Take away impressions.... The 427R is a pansy vs the Shelby.... and I want that Roush Exhaust when I get the Shelby!

Awesome! Did you notice any drone?

Awesome! Did you notice any drone?

Scott- I drove the car about 10-15 miles and didn't notice any. I was quite unaware of the 'drone' issue and never realized how bad it was for some people. After a little research I heard for myself how bad it can be. Maybe in more time I might have picked up on it a little more but for what I did, I didn't notice anything but a super mean sound. In looking at this exhaust, do keep in mind that it is quite a bit louder in the cabin over stock. Some people may or may not like it. I love the sound of it but that's as a specialty driver, meaning I won't drive it every day. I may think differently if I drove it every day. I did notice at low rpm cruising the car was fairly quiet with just a good warm tone but the moment I gave it some gas she was sounding off.

I'm a big fan of quality and a lot of people put some very obnoxious exhausts on their cars, especially mustangs. This is definitely not one of them. It had a deep quality sound through and through, no matter of the rpm. I definitely suggest finding a Roush to listen to prior to purchase because the factory exhaust may do you just fine.

To sum it up vs stock--- It is definitely louder and gives a richer/meater tone. Although its not bad, the factory exhaust seems to have higher notes.

I'm still trying to get past having Roush stamped on the exhaust where people can see it.

I understand that concern totally. Its definitely a mismatch. However the sound is amazing. As I mentioned in the previous post, I am good with what I've heard out of the stock exhaust. However the Roush exhaust is incredible if you want some more juice behind it. My only gripe is the oval tips. I like the slash cut of the stock exhaust. If I change the exhaust I will definitely look into keeping slash cuts on.

I just have to wait on the 2011s unfortunately... :banghead:

I'm still trying to get past having Roush stamped on the exhaust where people can see it.

Who gives a 5hit what other people might see, if you feel that strong about it, take a magic marker and write Shelby on the tips. Let's not forget Roush Engineering has had a hand in the development of a lot of FPPR components. Who would you rather have, Roush or Scott Drake engineered parts? I'll take Roush.

Does the Roush scream at wot, not just have that nice deep, rich tone

I like the burple and highe notes as well which a true muffler delete with no resonators like what I have give you!

It makes your hair stand up on WOT

I didn't really dog the car so I can't say about WOT. It does have a good sound when you down shift it and let the engine do a little braking. I won't say it's the loudest exhaust available but it is definitely the best sounding in my opinion. But everyone likes something different.

Who gives a 5hit what other people might see, if you feel that strong about it, take a magic marker and write Shelby on the tips. Let's not forget Roush Engineering has had a hand in the development of a lot of FPPR components. Who would you rather have, Roush or Scott Drake engineered parts? I'll take Roush.

Hell I might as well put a Saleen sticker across the front window while I'm at it....

I have a Roush UCA, so I have no problem with Roush as a brand. I just think it would look weird to have Roush branded parts on a Shelby. Just like it would look weird for Saleen branded parts on a Roush, etc.

I like the burple and highe notes as well which a true muffler delete with no resonators like what I have give you!

IT F'IN SCREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..granted, I haven't gone crazy with it (it only has 52 miles on it so far) but when you punch it, your smile can't get any bigger!! What a sound.

Here's a clip of the 427R. 48 seconds or so into the video you get to hear it accelerating through the gears "in-car"

Here's a clip of the 427R. 48 seconds or so into the video you get to hear it accelerating through the gears "in-car"

Yes that sounds like the Extreme!!!!

Keep in mind the '10 427R comes to the dealer with standard Mufflers NOT the NEW Extreme Exhaust. These can only be installed by the dealer POST SALE....

http://www.roushperformance.com/performanc...component_table

Hell I might as well put a Saleen sticker across the front window while I'm at it....

I have a Roush UCA, so I have no problem with Roush as a brand. I just think it would look weird to have Roush branded parts on a Shelby. Just like it would look weird for Saleen branded parts on a Roush, etc.

I know what you mean but these cars are a tribute to all that is Ford, not just Shelby

Not many people realize it, but I believe Coletti had a hand in the early stages of the 07 or at the time 06 Cobra/GT500

LOL at the comment about Roush on the tips

Roush tested this motor in our car's for Ford and helped develope it

It is ironic but Roush is not allowed to use the gt500 motor in their own Roush cars, that was part of the agreement

You can laugh all you want. However, cross branding is considered a no-no by some. You're telling me having Saleen parts visible on a Roush would look right to you? I realize Roush may have had a hand developing the car. It's just hard for me to swallow having the Roush name on a Shelby. I have no problem with my Roush UCA because it's out of sight.

WARNING!!!! going a little off topic-

As many know and others don't want to admit - Roush & Shelby have worked hand to hand on many projects...

This may hurt some the Shelby loyalist eyes.. so turn away NOW!!!

Photos I took at the SHELBY DISPLAY / MARCH 2009 LVMS NASCAR EVENT

P2270220.jpg

P2270219.jpg

P2270224.jpg

Makes perfect since to me / Thanks to ROUSH, FORD Racing has been competive for the past couple of decades. Were was the Shelby nameplate??? maybe over at the Dodge camp???

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have some driving videos from inside the car.....................I still need to get some exterior shots

Start up and driving with windows up.......nice down shift/burbble at 4:26 and 5:00..

some windows down action..........I thought I edited it at :42...the rest is at a stop light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fSuPyZG2g

better windows down.............

I could never put the Roush name on a Shelby. Maybe that's just me.

These 'new' Roush mufflers don't sound all that exciting to me. No different than a Borla, FRPP, Bassani, etc.

Magnaflows are the only way to go, IMO.

Is it just or does the guy have it cammed up? Does not sound like stock GT to me.

Archived