TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Care Best Practices

bpmurr

my friend who has a body shop told me to be careful to not wax it too much, then i got really paranoid.

Whenever i see water spots or stains i wipe it right away, makes me look obsessed but who cares? I know I'm going to eventually wash it some day, but not any time

soon! lol

Why'd he tell you not to wax it too much? Just build up?

Oh...my whole neighborhood thinks I'm insane...with my car care practices. That's okay.

Why'd he tell you not to wax it too much? Just build up?

Oh...my whole neighborhood thinks I'm insane...with my car care practices. That's okay.

well i went on google and got info such as this back:

"Constantly putting on wax or polish and buffing it off, you can actually start removing the paint! It's best to use a space-age polymer polish that you only have to apply twice or so a year.

Constantly rinse off dust and use a good car soap to remove road tar and dead bugs which are terrible for a car's finish but use polishes sparingly and I would strongly suggest you not use waxes at all because they tend to allow dust and grit to adhere to them so that when you wash and re-wax your car you're actually grinding those particles into the paint or clear coat of your car."

any tips on waxing stripes?

looking for good indoor car cover. any suggestions?

The consensus is to treat and wax the stripes like the rest of the car - no special treatment needed. Just pay attention to the sides of the stripes where they hit the paint, because if you're not detailed enough the wax will build up in the crack...

Try the clay bar.

Also don't dry the car with any towel type product.

I have the california water blade. and it works great. easy to keep clean and does not pick up dirt.

those little scratches are in the clear coat. And the darker the color the easier they are to see. When I talk about the spider web look, this is what I am talking about. Looks like a spider spun her web all over the car.

when you start finding long scratches in various different places on your car and cant figure out where they are coming from then its time to get rid of that blade . all it takes is one microscopic piece of dirt on it.cant see it when it happens .but oh boy will you be pissed when you do.

when you start finding long scratches in various different places on your car and cant figure out where they are coming from then its time to get rid of that blade . all it takes is one microscopic piece of dirt on it.cant see it when it happens .but oh boy will you be pissed when you do.

I have been using the same water blade for over 5 years. And this could happen with any drying method.

However the great thing about the water blade....You just spray it off on both sides with the hose after a pass or two then give it a good shake, and you have a nice soft clean balde. And you just go about your drying.

I have never had the situation you brought up, happen to me. I am sure it has happened but it was user error. And if you care for the blade it will last several years. To date mine is over 5 yrs old and is still streak free, even on windows.

I have never had the situation you brought up, happen to me. I am sure it has happened but it was user error. And if you care for the blade it will last several years. To date mine is over 5 yrs old and is still streak free, even on windows.

Agreed..I had the same experience..those water blades last forever..I had my previous one for 10 years! I started using it on the Shelby now. You just have to use common sense as with anything.

Archived