TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2010 GT500 Motor Trend comparison

John Canfield

The newest issue of Motor Trend hit my mailbox yesterday, and I was happy to see a 10 car shootout which included the new GT500. I can't say it won the 10 car comparison, but it did outscore the vaunted ZR1 and Catfish SS (which managed a last place finish). The GT500 finished mid-pack, but among the high dollar cars it did go up against, it finished very respectably. The positive comments from the testers showed their surprise at how well the GT500 did in comparison to their expectations. I think it all goes to show that the rest of us here do know thing about cool musclecars/supercars that the rest of the world is just now finding out.

The point of the comparison wasn't "which car has the highest performance". IMO the GT500 *is* more of a drivers car than a Z06. Yes I have driven both. The Z06 has greater performance but again, not what this comparison was about.

The 2010 evidently put on a fantastic showing!! Yes the ZR1 is by far the fastest...but could you realistically drive one of those EVERY day? I am kinda disturbed about the Miata though...I just don't get that one. I imagine that the performance could have been a little better...the tester even said that the GT500 tires were on the "hard" side.

• 3 weeks later...
Funny you all mention the Z06. A guy at the show today told me he traded in his 07 Z06 for a GT500. The Z06 is a hell of a car but he enjoys driving the GT500 more.

Well, I also sold my corvette and replaced it with the 2010 sheby GT 500. The corvette was a daily driver for 4 years and this is the new daily driver.

The Shelby is much easier to drive and has smoother power delivery than the ZO6 in daily traffic. Its much easier to park, and live with on a daily

basis--But on the track the story changes--but my work, home, general driving are not on a track. The drivers of SUV's and other cars see my Shelby

but missed a victory red corvette. I always dreamed about a new corvette-but this new Shelby- I feel bad I do not miss the corvette and I have fallen

in love with my 3rd new mustang- :shift:

Mazda Miata? Not for me. Check out car number six in this list.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Ga...ominations.html

Hey, I'm just sharing what's on the net, I'm not judging!

Archived