TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Ordering, ADM, Allocations?

Sunstealer

We are considering the purchase of a 2010 GT500 and are trying to sort through everything from the dealers we have talked to. I thought I read somewhere that they were no longer under limited product and that Ford would make as many as they could get orders for. One of my local dealers told me that they are only allocated two for the entire model year though (it is a small dealership). I am not sure if I read wrong or if the dealer is mistaken. That particular dealer has their current showroom model (that they did let me test drive at least) marked up by $16,000. I told them that was crazy though. They said they could get $5000 over by selling it to another dealer. The other local dealer just has a leftover 2009 model right now. I have never been able to deal with them on regular cars, so I have not discussed it further with them. I know they took sealed bids on their GT a couple of years ago.

So, are there still strict allocations? Is it possible to place a custom order and be assured to receive it? Can they be purchased at MSRP (or below!)?

Thanks.

We are considering the purchase of a 2010 GT500 and are trying to sort through everything from the dealers we have talked to. I thought I read somewhere that they were no longer under limited product and that Ford would make as many as they could get orders for. One of my local dealers told me that they are only allocated two for the entire model year though (it is a small dealership). I am not sure if I read wrong or if the dealer is mistaken. That particular dealer has their current showroom model (that they did let me test drive at least) marked up by $16,000. I told them that was crazy though. They said they could get $5000 over by selling it to another dealer. The other local dealer just has a leftover 2009 model right now. I have never been able to deal with them on regular cars, so I have not discussed it further with them. I know they took sealed bids on their GT a couple of years ago.

So, are there still strict allocations? Is it possible to place a custom order and be assured to receive it? Can they be purchased at MSRP (or below!)?

Thanks.

You'll find most 2010 owners on here paid MSRP or less. Your dealers are on another planet right now. What economic crisis.....?

Agreed....don't fall for the markup game. We have over 80 owners of 2010's here on this board and I don't believe a single one of us has paid a dime over sticker.

There's a few members that may be able to help you find a car. I don't want to name them...since I don't want to speak for them. But you can always check the autotrader, etc. for cars. Even if you have to travel a few hundred miles for an "on lot" car it's worth it vs. paying over sticker. Don't know if you're solely looking to order a car though.

Agreed, BUT most of the current '10 orders bought during the end of the world financial crisis/ pre cash for clunkers. I'm seeing adm in Missouri again. Blue Springs for has a GT500 for 10,000 over. There should be plenty available at MSRP, but if you see a dealer w/ an admin again I wouldn't necessarily say they are crazy.

I'm under the impression that some of the dealers that charge an ADM on stocked cars are mostly doing it to keep the car in their showroom for as long as possible. Honestly if I were a dealer with a 1 or 2 unit allocation I would probably keep one for my dealership. If someone comes by and is willing to drop an extra $5-10k, it's worth letting it go. Otherwise, it's total eye-candy for Ford shoppers and probably draws them into the showroom or entices them to buy a GT or another model. A dealer that charges ADM on a custom customer order is a different story. They should charge MSRP or less to move the car and use their allocation.

It also seems to me that production is moving faster now with all the VINs and build dates that people have been posting here. This leads me to believe that any allocation issue was temporary and prices will settle down soon.

I just went through this same ordeal. The allocations were very strict.... so much so that out of the 30+ dealers I talked to only 3 could place an order. They were at all MSRP but I was hoping like you to get a further discount on an ordered car, thinking there might be motivation (increased allocation for next year and guarantee of a sold car in what amounts to some difficult economic times) for the dealer. I kept all my notes, btw, if you want any names.

After hearing multiple stories of no allocation and even cancelled orders (they can do that?????) my faith in this process grew a bit thin. Lots of autotrader searching netted me the exact car I had built on the website and I went with the bird in hand (and managed an unimpressive to me 500 under sticker).

Still today, the closest dealer to me is asking 10K over (Grabber blue coupe, stripe delete, no options) and says that he sold the other one they had 2 weeks ago for 8K over. He also tried to tell me he paid 3K over sticker to another dealer to get it. Who really knows but maybe my deal wasn't that bad.

Regardless, I don't think the evidence points to a high supply of these cars or even to a predictable ordering/building process at this point.

Last but not least, I know it's hard for anyone to imagine a world without a GT500 (and you won't be able to after you get yours, trust me) but that day is coming. Find one, order one, whatever, just enjoy it as soon you can!

I started another thread, but saw this one.

I just got another allocation! The car is going to be here BY Mid October!

If you ordered the car TODAY I can build it anyway you want it. The only small catch is the car is going to be at the FAIR for 10 days. It will be under a tent and robed off, but thats how I got the extra allocation.

Let me know and we can order it to spec

MM

I'll add my two cents here, since I order all of our Mustangs and SVT/Shelby vehicles for the large volume Ford dealership I work for....

From 2007-2009, we were able to order and receive 15 GT500's from Ford, so we averaged 5 per model year.

For 2010, we took orders/deposits for 4 GT500's (playing it safe just in case we didn't get our average of 5). Well, only one has come and gone so far. #2 is due here anyday (and that customer is itchin' to take delivery). #3 and #4 are not scheduled yet by Ford, so after many discussions with our regional rep over the past few weeks, we were told to call those customers and tell them Ford will not schedule and build their orders. What a slap in the face! We only get 2 for the whole model year?!?! The '09's went for MSRP, as did the '10's, and we sold them all prior to delivery or within a couple days of delivery on an extra '09 we got. So, we've had fair pricing, turned them super quick, and now we're being told "tough luck."

This is not looking pretty for those who want a 2010 GT500. We're having to tell any prospective buyers now that we cannot get them one, and please try back next year. I imagine that supply is going to really constrict nationwide in the coming months, but I'm hopeful that Ford will get back to building them freely again.

Thanks.

I ordered mine a few months back and it now has a build date of today!!! paid MSRP and I'm not aware of any others ordered through this dealership, I'll ask.

i live in n.y. on L.I. i shopped all over. i went to one large volume mustang dealer.salesman told me they had 3 allocations to start year.one retail order due in that was sold. $5000 over msrp. ford took away the other 2.

they were done for the year.

i ended up ordering my car from a small dealer who only had one allocation,they sold off the showroom floor. then they recieved extra one for my order.regional sales rep ford lin/merc. sent me email saying the whole ny region will be getting 3-4 cars a month. who knows?

one dealer had grabber/white hids shaker1000 on showroom floor for msrp don`t know if it was sold?

I'll add my two cents here, since I order all of our Mustangs and SVT/Shelby vehicles for the large volume Ford dealership I work for....

From 2007-2009, we were able to order and receive 15 GT500's from Ford, so we averaged 5 per model year.

For 2010, we took orders/deposits for 4 GT500's (playing it safe just in case we didn't get our average of 5). Well, only one has come and gone so far. #2 is due here anyday (and that customer is itchin' to take delivery). #3 and #4 are not scheduled yet by Ford, so after many discussions with our regional rep over the past few weeks, we were told to call those customers and tell them Ford will not schedule and build their orders. What a slap in the face! We only get 2 for the whole model year?!?! The '09's went for MSRP, as did the '10's, and we sold them all prior to delivery or within a couple days of delivery on an extra '09 we got. So, we've had fair pricing, turned them super quick, and now we're being told "tough luck."

This is not looking pretty for those who want a 2010 GT500. We're having to tell any prospective buyers now that we cannot get them one, and please try back next year. I imagine that supply is going to really constrict nationwide in the coming months, but I'm hopeful that Ford will get back to building them freely again.

Five Oh B,

Thanks for sharing, I have a friend here in town that wants to order a 2010 vert but neither the Dealer here or in Mobile has any allocation. He is patiently waiting for news from Ford, we contacted Ford Corporate directly and are waiting on an answer. He did not want to order a car from california and ship it, wants to order from his Dealer he has always done business with.

Steve

Thanks for the info, I thought that did not sound right.

Even crazier, we stopped by the local Chevy dealership to check out the new Camaros. They are not allowing test drives at all unless you commit to purchasing one (even the V6 model)! They were all also marked up $5000/each.

Right now G.M is 2,500 behind in Cameros orders & they are marked up at the dealers. Who cares get a SHELBY.

This is pretty much why I have written off the whole situation as an exercise in frustration and futility.

I placed an order with a dealer without an allocation in mid-July, and have heard nothing. I am going to cancel that order, but place an order for the 2011 model. At this rate, it will be close anyway, and I may as well wait for the aluminum block.

I just find it dumb as a box of clams that Ford cannot make cars which are "retail" as in cars with a definite buyer.

Papz,

It seems unlikely there would not be a 2011. I mean no one can guarantee anything but to my knowledge Shelby has signed a new contract with ford from 2010-2012(the original contract being from 2007-2009). After that it's anyones guess...back in the 60's Shelby's contract with ford was also 6 years. So will it be the same and no more GT500's after 2012?

Papz,

It seems unlikely there would not be a 2011. I mean no one can guarantee anything but to my knowledge Shelby has signed a new contract with ford from 2010-2012(the original contract being from 2007-2009). After that it's anyones guess...back in the 60's Shelby's contract with ford was also 6 years. So will it be the same and no more GT500's after 2012?

Yea, I agree it does seem unlikely. Especially to such an incredible car as this one. And we have heard a lot about the aluminum block. Although, to play devil's advocate, just because they have the contract, does that mean they have to produce GT500's? Just wondering if the contract specifies models because a GT350 might be more in line with current markets, regs, competitor's models, etc. etc..... . Just purely speculating. Who knows.

is this new block going to cross model lines? If the 2010 numbers are low, and the economy does not improve do we all think Ford will put the cash flow into a new design?

If the block will be used in other models then I can see this, if not, I don't expect much of a change for 2011. I am sure it will be the usual, body mods, a few ponies, and some small fit and finish, but nothing much.

If current contract talks are true then I would expect the big change for the 2012. You know.....save the best for last.

But have no fear.....the GREAT OBAMA will save us all..... :bowdown: And when he does we can all expect our future Shelbys to run on CNG, or batteries!!!!! :happy feet:

My Motto....Get one while you can boys. The great GREEN race is set to begin. Already hitting us diesel guys with this BS low sulfer crap. :censored:

I agree with tdusseau. Get one while you can. Nothing is certain and with the economy in the crapper for the foreseeable future, Ford may be forced to cut production on certain vehicles. They didn't need bail out money, but that doesn't mean it's smooth sailing for them. They recently issued 3-year bonds yielding 11%. It's very hard for a company to make money when their borrowing costs are so high. Also if everyone moves towards green and compact cars to save money, the market for high performance vehicles will dry up.

The gt500 isn't going anywhere. I have a reliable source that I have talked to since 2006 who works for ford. He hasn't been wrong yet. The GT will come with a 400 hp 5.0 with a six speed. The Boss will be making an appearance in 2012 with 450 hp and a six speed. The v6 is a 3.7L 300-315 hp engine to drop 2011 MY. The shelby will continue until 2012 model year. Sales are slow and there are many 09's on the lot. They are creating artificial demand. It seems to be working. You haven't heard anything because they want to try to drive 2010 sales. Remember this will be an extended model year folks. Although I am not able to get one right now the wife will be done with school in May and then I will start looking.

Roger

The gt500 isn't going anywhere. I have a reliable source that I have talked to since 2006 who works for ford. He hasn't been wrong yet. The GT will come with a 400 hp 5.0 with a six speed. The Boss will be making an appearance in 2012 with 450 hp and a six speed. The v6 is a 3.7L 300-315 hp engine to drop 2011 MY. The shelby will continue until 2010 model year. Sales are slow and there are many 09's on the lot. They are creating artificial demand. It seems to be working. You haven't heard anything because they want to try to drive 2010 sales. Remember this will be an extended model year folks. Although I am not able to get one right now the wife will be done with school in May and then I will start looking.

Roger

Thanks for sharing Roger. There are a lot of 2010s on Dealer lots but many buyers want to order their own car nearer to home with the color and equipment they want.

Steve

The gt500 isn't going anywhere. I have a reliable source that I have talked to since 2006 who works for ford. He hasn't been wrong yet. The GT will come with a 400 hp 5.0 with a six speed. The Boss will be making an appearance in 2012 with 450 hp and a six speed. The v6 is a 3.7L 300-315 hp engine to drop 2011 MY. The shelby will continue until 2010 model year. Sales are slow and there are many 09's on the lot. They are creating artificial demand. It seems to be working. You haven't heard anything because they want to try to drive 2010 sales. Remember this will be an extended model year folks. Although I am not able to get one right now the wife will be done with school in May and then I will start looking.

Roger

Yeah but the economy was not in the state that it is now. Also What do you mean by the Shelby will continue until 2010 model year?

And I am sure your contact can confirm that this is the direction Ford would like to go, and will try. But Chevy also wanted to put out a Z28, and you see what happened to them.

The point here is between the economy and the new "green" government cars like the GT500 are going to be hard to push. Yes, I am sure high HP, poor MPG cars will still exist, but what you will see is good ol' uncle sam slapping some serious Gas Guzzler taxes on them.

Also don't forget the new Average MPG requirements for automakers starting 2011 model year. If you don't know about this just google MPG requirements for automakers.

Our Gov't is going into overkill mode.

Yeah but the economy was not in the state that it is now. Also What do you mean by the Shelby will continue until 2010 model year?

And I am sure your contact can confirm that this is the direction Ford would like to go, and will try. But Chevy also wanted to put out a Z28, and you see what happened to them.

The point here is between the economy and the new "green" government cars like the GT500 are going to be hard to push. Yes, I am sure high HP, poor MPG cars will still exist, but what you will see is good ol' uncle sam slapping some serious Gas Guzzler taxes on them.

Also don't forget the new Average MPG requirements for automakers starting 2011 model year. If you don't know about this just google MPG requirements for automakers.

Our Gov't is going into overkill mode.

I meant 2012. I just edited. Sorry about the typo. There are several mules running around right now in 2010 body styles and one 2009 with a coyote engine. The CAFE standards are being met with the other model lines and the v-6 will help to offset these standards as well. With a 6 speed fuel economy will be equivelant to what is out there now. This is a done deal. The F150 is getting the 270 hp version of the 3.7 liter as its staple engine, which is set up for more torque. The Boss will be a non issue as this will be a low volume niche car. When the American version of the KA hits the streets in Focus guise it will help as well.

Other than the hybrids the four and six cylinder fleet in cars like Fusion more than make up for it. The push for green is not the as drastic as you think. The Coyote was put in place of the planned 6.2 for cafe and cylinder thickness concerns. The Coyote was confirmed to me in 2006 before I saw my first gt500 in the skin at a Ford event in Tampa. This motor will be fine. If Chevy can do it with the LS series and worse heads, ford can do it with 5.0. As close as we are to production the only thing that might change is the boss's debut. They are going to have a redesign for the 50th so the Boss is designed for a 2 year sales boost to keep sales going. The government is not giving the car makers anything they haven't already designed for. It may be a little more costly but the Ford Probe/Mustang is a long way away my friend. With the market share Ford enjoys it would be stupid to give it up. Besides they have a legitimate M3 fighter with the Boss ;)

Respectfully,

Roger

Archived