TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4:10 gears trackability

im wanting to do gears but i love going to hallet(circuit track) how hard is it to race a circuit track with 4:10 gears? would i be able to? im gong to go to a sc eventualy but thats months maybe years away for now i just want to know about the trackability of 4:10's

so how is life with 4:10's? :shift:

im wanting to do gears but i love going to hallet(circuit track) how hard is it to race a circuit track with 4:10 gears? would i be able to? im gong to go to a sc eventualy but thats months maybe years away for now i just want to know about the trackability of 4:10's

so how is life with 4:10's? :shift:

Check with Ken aka Kanhmann

I know he is track racing and has a SC and has used both 4.10 and the 3.73 gears

Good luck

Andrew

4.10's are perfect for the street or strip IMO. For the road course, however, they're the wrong gear. My engine speed is far too close to redline much of the day with these gears. I still haven't swapped them though, only because I love the hell out of them around town. They're not ridiculous on the freeway. They only up the average RPM by a couple hundred at cruising speed. It's just when I'm launching in and out of corners that they become a serious issue.

If you plan on tracking very rarely, go with the 4.10's. If you plan on going out more often, go with the 3.73's. Good luck

Ken

I'm running 4:10's and here's my take:

I love the fact that i can dig out of turns very quickly. On long straights (like CA Speedway) i'm tapping out in 4th gear at about 130 and just nicking redline at about 6K before entering turn 1. I don't really feel the need to shift into 5th gear as at that speed, there's not much left in 5th anyway. I've found downshifting to be a "little" tricky, but not bad in my opinion. I was going to step back down to 3:73's, but i'm telling you, 4:10's are just right for the car. I'm not running that big of boost anyway, unlike Ken, so i'm sure i'm not as hot into turns as he is. I agree with Ken though, depends on how much you're street driving vs. track driving. I feel comfortable with them all the way around.

Since you're naturally aspirated still, 4:10's are SO worth the money!!!! You'll love them, especially with a good tune!

Remember to correct your speedo. Though the 4:10 add only a few RPMs to your crusing speed, those RPMs convert to mileage driven, and add mileage you have not traveled. BTW, your first gear wind-out will be shorter, be ready to shift earlier in the game.

Archived