TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rock Hits Windshield!

shelby4u

Ok guys/gals, had the S H E L B Y out today cruising. Kept off the interstate to avoid those notorious 18 wheelers which routinely throw rocks. So I decide to take a less traveled 2 lane highway enroute back home. Crusing along about 55mph, listening to good music, minding my own business, I meet an 18 wheeler coming toward me. I said a quick prayer,"Please don't let ths thing throw a rock".... well just about the that time, I heard a "pop" and saw it right in the middle of the windshield!! I didn't know I knew so many "choice" words!! Made me sick! My Torch Red/White Stripes only has 300 miles on her..

Just went out to the garage, and it's starting to spread... Calling the insurance company in the AM..

Question for the group, has anyone had theirs replaced? Is this winshield used in all the Stangs or jus the Shelby? Just want to make sure I get an exact OEM replacement...

Be careful out there...

Shelby4u

Ok guys/gals, had the S H E L B Y out today cruising. Kept off the interstate to avoid those notorious 18 wheelers which routinely throw rocks. So I decide to take a less traveled 2 lane highway enroute back home. Crusing along about 55mph, listening to good music, minding my own business, I meet an 18 wheeler coming toward me. I said a quick prayer,"Please don't let ths thing throw a rock".... well just about the that time, I heard a "pop" and saw it right in the middle of the windshield!! I didn't know I knew so many "choice" words!! Made me sick! My Torch Red/White Stripes only has 300 miles on her..

Just went out to the garage, and it's starting to spread... Calling the insurance company in the AM..

Question for the group, has anyone had theirs replaced? Is this winshield used in all the Stangs or jus the Shelby? Just want to make sure I get an exact OEM replacement...

Be careful out there...

Shelby4u

At the center of the bottom of the windsheild you should find the CARLITE part number WDO 1570 GTY this is the number you need when ordering a replacement.

ps: I use to work at the Ford/Visteon Dearborn Rouge Glass Plant so I know these kind of things

Bad Deal!

I guess if you look at the brighter side of it, the rock only hit the windshield and didn't skip across the hood-into the windshield-the finish off by skipping over the top.

Thursday, on my way to meet hubby at dealership for his car pickup I had a rock knock the mess out of the windshield. It only chipped it. I thank God that it was me in that truck and not hubby in new car. I also gave hubby a heads up about my encounter before he left the dealership on his first real ride in the GT500.

Be there for the repair!!! If you have them come out to your house and make the repair they can't say much about you watching it. In the shop they may use the excuse that there insurance doesn't cover you being in the shop. Just a thought.

Be careful out there...

Shelby4u

This absolutely sucks. But, be damn glad it wasn't something like paint off the hood, cut in the vinyl stripe, break in the grill, etc.

I hate to see this happen, but it will. Glad to see it's something you'll get it fixed and nobody will know.

hsurb

I told Carnut you knew something and he didn't beleive me! :doh:

"Thanks All" for the info and uplifting words! I'll be sure to let State Farm know I only want the OEM replacement Coldwaterhotrod indicated. My deducible is $100.00

One last question: Most companies now come to your residence to do this work on site. I do not want to take the car into the shop and leave it under any circumstances (you know why..:))) ) Since the temp. is around 50 degress, has been lower (i.e. 19 degrees), will there be any concerns in this type of temperatures for the windshield sealant to set properly? Like all of you, I want this done right and no leaks, scratches, etc..

Thanks!

"Thanks All" for the info and uplifting words! I'll be sure to let State Farm know I only want the OEM replacement Coldwaterhotrod indicated. My deducible is $100.00

One last question: Most companies now come to your residence to do this work on site. I do not want to take the car into the shop and leave it under any circumstances (you know why..:))) ) Since the temp. is around 50 degress, has been lower (i.e. 19 degrees), will there be any concerns in this type of temperatures for the windshield sealant to set properly? Like all of you, I want this done right and no leaks, scratches, etc..

Thanks!

I would recommend that unless you have a heated garage do not have this done outside when cold. the sealant is much harder to cut thru & clean up. It really needs to be done inside with temps above 60 degrees plus cold glass breaks easier when being handled. If you are putting it up for the winter just wait until spring, but let your insurance company know you want to wait until its warmer & you can take it their when its warmer.

My insurance - Allstate - replaces windshields free - and no added premiums...

I've only had one replaced in 20+ years. Lucky.

I was taking my car down to Fastlane to be dynoed and on a 2 lane road, some trash hauler coming at me hit a bump and out came a crap load of rust-colored dirt or something. Too quick to react. I thought about shooting him, but was late for my appt.

...I heard a "pop" and saw it right in the middle of the windshield!! I didn't know I knew so many "choice" words!! Made me sick! My Torch Red/White Stripes only has 300 miles on her..

Just went out to the garage, and it's starting to spread...

Shelby4u

I feel your pain. :cry: Good Luck getting it fixed.

I would recommend that unless you have a heated garage do not have this done outside when cold. the sealant is much harder to cut thru & clean up. It really needs to be done inside with temps above 60 degrees plus cold glass breaks easier when being handled. If you are putting it up for the winter just wait until spring, but let your insurance company know you want to wait until its warmer & you can take it their when its warmer.

plus workers do a better job with warmer temperatures. Just a basic fact of human nature. When you are cold or extremely hot, all you are doing is trying to get done as quickly as possible.

Shelby4u

Wait!! You may not need to replace the windshield at all! If the crack has not spread more than 6 inches then you can gave it repaired by some type of epoxy or glue stuff that they squeeze into the crack. Check on this first 'cause it doesn't cost as much to repair and you don't need to worry about damage to the dash, headliner, etc.

plus workers do a better job with warmer temperatures. Just a basic fact of human nature. When you are cold or extremely hot, all you are doing is trying to get done as quickly as possible.

Yes, but the human brain is working better at colder temps then hotter temps. 17C is best. :drop:

What a pain.

Just a note for the future: One time a truck threw up a rock that cracked my windshield. I wrote the down the name of the company (from the side of the truck), truck number, time/date, etc. and called the company. They referred me to their insurance company which, after a few follow up phone calls, sent me a check to repair the windshield.

JR

Yea that sucks.... better a 300.00 windshield than a 1000.00 hood etc..... It happened to me on my F350 when it only had 300-400 miles on it..... called the best auto glass shop around and they came out to my house and changed it right there in my garage (3 guys), did a great job and only charged me 300.00 (factory glass too), so now I am not too concerned with the windshields anymore .

Good luck (just carry a .308 carbine with you and shoot out his tires next time)... don't get mad GET EVEN! :finger:

Wait!! You may not need to replace the windshield at all! If the crack has not spread more than 6 inches then you can gave it repaired by some type of epoxy or glue stuff that they squeeze into the crack. Check on this first 'cause it doesn't cost as much to repair and you don't need to worry about damage to the dash, headliner, etc.

I don't know if this would be an option as you will still see the repairs, or the surface area where the repairs were done and if in the center can be very annoying had this done to our minivan and not too much of a bother...not sure I would want to be looking at that when driving my Shelby though...

Good luck...bummer.

Cheers,

Requis

What a pain.

Just a note for the future: One time a truck threw up a rock that cracked my windshield. I wrote the down the name of the company (from the side of the truck), truck number, time/date, etc. and called the company. They referred me to their insurance company which, after a few follow up phone calls, sent me a check to repair the windshield.

JR

now that's the way things should work.

now that's the way things should work.

I agree. What's your phone number? I need to talk with you about one of your vehicles that threw a rock and broke my CAI, my 3.31 gearset, and my stock sized supercharger pulley. All other parts on my car are fine. Oh, except the upper control arm in the rear...that was damaged too. :hysterical:

I don't know if this would be an option as you will still see the repairs, or the surface area where the repairs were done and if in the center can be very annoying had this done to our minivan and not too much of a bother...not sure I would want to be looking at that when driving my Shelby though...

Hmm, perhaps I'm just not that sensitive... The repairs are virtually invisible except for the point of impact where you may still see a divet in the glass. Of course, it depends on how big it is and where its located, but in general it wouldn't bother me since most of the time I'm looking through the glass, not at it. :finger: What's worse a divet or a knarled up headliner and dash?

Also he could drive it another 300miles and get a second rock hurled at it. Because it's no longer a virgin, you won't feel as bad the second time (and you've saved your most of your deductible).

Hmm, perhaps I'm just not that sensitive... The repairs are virtually invisible except for the point of impact where you may still see a divet in the glass. Of course, it depends on how big it is and where its located, but in general it wouldn't bother me since most of the time I'm looking through the glass, not at it. :finger: What's worse a divet or a knarled up headliner and dash?

Also he could drive it another 300miles and get a second rock hurled at it. Because it's no longer a virgin, you won't feel as bad the second time (and you've saved your most of your deductible).

Some insurance companies don't apply the deductible to a FRONT windshield since it's more of a safety issue than a side window etc. Check into it.

Dave

Today is a good day! :happy feet:

Auto glass company made a mobile trip to my residence to look at the windshield. They first tried the "repair" process. After they finished I could not live the "divet" in the windshield. I guess, it was "OK" if you're not very particular with your Shelby. However, it was not for me. From the inside it appeared as a "bug splat"...

At any rate, the windshield was replaced with the OEM. They did an awesome job and I watched every step.

No damage to anything anywhere...

I did notice when the windshield was out, there is quite a bit of insulation under the dash.

Sooooo glad this is behind me and done before the Holidays...

I will sleep good tonight! -_-

Again, be careful out there..

Thanks to all for the concerns and input!

Archived