TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pulley questions...

bandit67

I'm not finding any FRPP 2.6"+/- upper pulleys for my car - I assume one doesn't exist from them?

The dealer SVT tech told me that I should definitely get a pulley as one of the first power mods, but I'm not sure I can have him do the pulley mod if I can't get one from FRPP, due to warranty issues.

He said that after I do the pulley and muffler upgrades, then I could go with the FRPP intake/ProCal tune, because they'd need to know about the pulley to properly calibrate the tune. However, if FRPP doesn't offer a pulley, then I'd also assume their tune won't address a non-stock sized pulley?

I don't doubt the tech's abilities, but he hasn't done a lot of power mods to the GT500's at the dealership - he came from a private Mustang mod shop that used all aftermarket components, tunes, etc, so he may not be completely up on all of FRPP's offerings (or lack thereof) and what may or may not cause warranty issues.

So far, the dealership seems to be good with dealing with upgrades and warranty, but I don't want to get into a situation where Ford might come in and overrule the dealer service dept if a minor warranty repair ever came up.

I am certainly open to aftermarket products, and know that many of them are going to be better than what I'll get from FRPP, but I have a timeline for what I want to do & when. FRPP to start to keep warranty coverage, then eventually upgrade to some of the better quality aftermarket stuff once I'm not concerned with warranty.

So, is there a smaller FRPP upper pulley available for a stock blower?

As far as I know Ford Racing does not off a pulley change or tuning for the mod. They do offer tuning for their CAI only. If you look on this site you'll find many good vendors who can get you all the parts and tuning you need to perform the mods properly along with all the info needed. Sounds to me you need to find another tech that has delt with the mods on a GT500 before you let them touch your car.

Just my 2 cent's but I would think you could save yourself some time and stress if you just Have the pulley,CAI and tune done all at once. My dealership also suggest's an intercooler upgrade for this mod..I am going to upgrade to the higher capacity Shelby intercooler and radiator and maybe even those cool looking Shelby reservoir tanks. I will do this before the Horse Power upgrade. Then I will not be concerned about the heat soak issues this engine suffers from that causes the computer to retard timing/performance when the engine gets to a certain temperature. The Shelby aftermarket radiator claims to lower engine temp by 50 Deg F...You will also need aftermarket Upper and lower control arms because the CHEAP stock ones [thanks ford]...cause severe wheel/axle hop under acceleration. What good is 500+ horsepower if the rear end will not plant to apply it to the road?.....Best wishes....this owners forum is a goldmine!

... You will also need aftermarket Upper and lower control arms because the CHEAP stock ones [thanks ford]...cause severe wheel/axle hop under acceleration. What good is 500+ horsepower if the rear end will not plant to apply it to the road?.....Best wishes....this owners forum is a goldmine!

It's not the control arms, it's the rubber squishy bushings that cause the wheel hop. The Ford control arms themselves are healthy parts.

Bandit67, I would have your tech install the mods then. Have him suggest the pulley and then bring it to him for the tune. Make sure the warranty will still be in effect.

I'm not finding any FRPP 2.6"+/- upper pulleys for my car - I assume one doesn't exist from them?

The dealer SVT tech told me that I should definitely get a pulley as one of the first power mods, but I'm not sure I can have him do the pulley mod if I can't get one from FRPP, due to warranty issues.

He said that after I do the pulley and muffler upgrades, then I could go with the FRPP intake/ProCal tune, because they'd need to know about the pulley to properly calibrate the tune. However, if FRPP doesn't offer a pulley, then I'd also assume their tune won't address a non-stock sized pulley?

I don't doubt the tech's abilities, but he hasn't done a lot of power mods to the GT500's at the dealership - he came from a private Mustang mod shop that used all aftermarket components, tunes, etc, so he may not be completely up on all of FRPP's offerings (or lack thereof) and what may or may not cause warranty issues.

So far, the dealership seems to be good with dealing with upgrades and warranty, but I don't want to get into a situation where Ford might come in and overrule the dealer service dept if a minor warranty repair ever came up.

I am certainly open to aftermarket products, and know that many of them are going to be better than what I'll get from FRPP, but I have a timeline for what I want to do & when. FRPP to start to keep warranty coverage, then eventually upgrade to some of the better quality aftermarket stuff once I'm not concerned with warranty.

So, is there a smaller FRPP upper pulley available for a stock blower?

I had a cai,tune and pulley all done at the same time, however I was advised by my delaer that changing the pulley and doing the tune could effect the warranty, if they linked the cause of the problem back to the modification...i.e. if my engine blew, or my supercharger went kaput etc....having said that if you get a safe tune put in you should have no problems as the engine and powertrain is pretty beefy and can handle 600 horsepower pretty well. If you do your research the 725 hp super snake upgrade isn't warrantied and the 605 hp one is obviously there must be a reason for this........I will say this these three mods make a huge difference in performance..... The pro cal tune and cai will only kick you up 40 horse if u go to a steeda kit or jlt kit it will bring it up 100 hp + depending on the tune.....good luck with your decision

Well, since FRPP doesn't make a pulley, I'll do the FRPP CAI and tune to start.

At some point later, I'll go ahead and do the pulley install myself, along with a better custom tune, and somewhere in there, new FRPP mufflers. VMP has a nice complete pulley/tune upgrade package that would fit in well with my plans. I prefer to wrench on the car anyway - it's no fun having someone else do all the smaller stuff that I could otherwise handle.

I had to replace the turbo on my Superduty once upon a time, so small stuff like that is fun for me. I leave engine replacement and tranny work to the pros though. :shades:

It's not the control arms, it's the rubber squishy bushings that cause the wheel hop. The Ford control arms themselves are healthy parts.

I disagree...I am going to have the Roush. UCA and LCA's installed.They have RUBBER bushings that will not crack under load like polyurithane ones do. One owner on this forum had them installed and claimed they totally eliminated his wheel hop issues. They are made from CNC machined billet aluminum unlike the less rigid STAMPED seel stock unit's They were developed for racing so I am sure they will stiffen my rear suspension...but I will tolerate that in order to have the rear end plant when I plant my right foot and not just skitter across the road as is the current stock setup...I will report back when I get mine installed...

Well, since FRPP doesn't make a pulley, I'll do the FRPP CAI and tune to start.

At some point later, I'll go ahead and do the pulley install myself, along with a better custom tune, and somewhere in there, new FRPP mufflers. VMP has a nice complete pulley/tune upgrade package that would fit in well with my plans. I prefer to wrench on the car anyway - it's no fun having someone else do all the smaller stuff that I could otherwise handle.

I had to replace the turbo on my Superduty once upon a time, so small stuff like that is fun for me. I leave engine replacement and tranny work to the pros though. :shades:

Bandit67, That is what I did on mine. I got a FRPP CAI and tune + the 2.65 VMP pulley. I then upgraded to a Jon Lund tune. In my opinion, Jon Lund is the BEST tuner for the GT-500. I tried another tuner and there is no comparsion. As far as the suspension I installed Comp Eng LCA and Steeda UCA. I have driven 1200 miles with the Mods and have had no issues. All the work is easy to complete.

I added the JLT CAI and SCT Tune from them and it came with both the Pulley tune and non pulley tune. If I choose to add the Pulley later I already have that tune in my SCT Hand Tuner. Just a thought for anyone thinking about doing this. I can tell a BIG difference with just the CAI and Tune. I will probably do the Pulley this fall.

Archived