TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT Convertable Barrett Jackson Edition

Glenn Greenwell

Steve, can the registry note this change was done? Then at least the footnote is recorded history where it matters.

Roger will have to make the official call on this but I'm thinking the stripe change can only be recorded in the comments/owner mods column when the car is registered. Since it didn't leave SAI with silver stripes it wouldn't be right to add this change to the hard facts area.

Just my opinion and this is something Roger will obviously have to make the call on.

Steve

I was thinking delivery in 14 days a post or two back, well here is the latest information. My SGT/BJ wearing Shelby Silver stripes was put in a covered transport truck and shipped from Earnhardt Ford in Chandler, AZ today. BCP Express Transport called and their ETA in Texarkana, AR is Wednesday of this week in the evening late. They will call me 2-3 hours out to arrange a drop off point. I have made arrangements with Crane Ford/Lincoln Mercury to drop it off there after five, but am now having second thoughts because I want to drive it and inspect it. I elected to pay a little extra for covered transport and peace of mind.

Thanks to Steve, I swapped about 3 brief e-mails about the car with SAI-BUD. He was up to speed about the stripe issue. Here is the plan, delivery, stripe removal, hood scoop removal, detail shop for buff and wax any paint imperfections from storage in Arizona, then repaint scoop red, apply new Shelby red stripes on top and side of my convertable locally and oil change. Bud said he would get me the correct paint code to redo the scoop. He also mentioned that I needed to take a close look at the scoop upon arrival.

Then I'm going to drive this baby and enjoy my first SGT/BJ Mustang. Steve you were right, Bud digs Shelby's and you can tell he enjoys his job. Hoping the Arizona weather has been kind to this car.

It won't be long now.......... :happy feet:

GG

I am happy to report my SGT/BJ arrived in Texarkana, AR at 6:30pm CST today by covered transport truck. I went though my extensive check list and everything was in place. The Shelby floor mats were even in the front seat. I feel really lucky today as this was almost the car deal that didn't happen for those of you following this topic.

The good news, the car arrived perfect with the exception of two small paint chips next to the rivets on the hood scoop and the faux BJ emblem was faded slightly and some clear lacquer was coming off it. The dealer installed silver Shelby GT stripes looked really great. My wife and I seem to be the only two people that have looked at the car that believe it should be restriped red. Everyone else states I need to leave it alone.

No paint damage as we all thought from the Arizona sun and no interior heat damage. The car had the new car smell of leaving the factory. The convertable top was a rich dark black. The motor area was free of dust and dirt. I could really tell the difference of the handling changes from my 05 GT 5-Speed. Man do I like that automatic transmission.

My neighbor, who owns a Roush told me I was nuts for thinking about restriping it red since it was a dealer installed stripe option and I did receive a letter from Earnhardt Ford stating they restriped the car prior to my purchase.

Well I'm a happy camper, no major detail work needed to the paint either. A good coat of wax for now and oil change. Need to go by a body shop and see what is involved in pulling the hood scoop.

Does anyone know if there is a hole in the hood for every rivet showing?

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm going to drive it wth silver stripes for a week or two. Will install the CDC Sequential turn signals this weekend. Not sure if removal of the big sharker 1000 box in the trunk is going to be a big deal or not to get to the tail light.

GG

I am happy to report my SGT/BJ arrived in Texarkana, AR at 6:30pm CST today by covered transport truck. I went though my extensive check list and everything was in place. The Shelby floor mats were even in the front seat. I feel really lucky today as this was almost the car deal that didn't happen for those of you following this topic.

The good news, the car arrived perfect with the exception of two small paint chips next to the rivets on the hood scoop and the faux BJ emblem was faded slightly and some clear lacquer was coming off it. The dealer installed silver Shelby GT stripes looked really great. My wife and I seem to be the only two people that have looked at the car that believe it should be restriped red. Everyone else states I need to leave it alone.

No paint damage as we all thought from the Arizona sun and no interior heat damage. The car had the new car smell of leaving the factory. The convertable top was a rich dark black. The motor area was free of dust and dirt. I could really tell the difference of the handling changes from my 05 GT 5-Speed. Man do I like that automatic transmission.

My neighbor, who owns a Roush told me I was nuts for thinking about restriping it red since it was a dealer installed stripe option and I did receive a letter from Earnhardt Ford stating they restriped the car prior to my purchase.

Well I'm a happy camper, no major detail work needed to the paint either. A good coat of wax for now and oil change. Need to go by a body shop and see what is involved in pulling the hood scoop.

Does anyone know if there is a hole in the hood for every rivet showing?

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm going to drive it wth silver stipes for a week or two. Will install the CDC Sequential turn signals this weekend. Not sure if removal of the big sharker 1000 box in the trunk is going to be a big deal or not to get to the tail light.

GG

Congrats on the BJ edition GT. For what it is worth, if not done immediatly, once the silver stripes fade, I would restripe red. They look nice and are rare cars. Just my opinion. Nothing to do with future value. I am sure you bought a BJ fo the limited production. Either way, enjoy

What is the CSM #????

Hi Tony,

08SGT2290 and yes the reason I bought it was it was black and I thought it had red stripes. It will take about two or three weeks to get the paint ordered, scoop pulled and painted red and the red stipes done. The dealer stripes had a small pin stipe on the outside of the silver stripes that I really liked also, but again this is a SGT/BJ and red stripes are in the immediate future.

GG

Here's something else you need to do - detailing on this will be very important.

One choice is to take it someone you trust.

Another choice, if you are comfortable, is to do it yourself.

The process begins with a clay bar treatment, followed by a "waxing" - really, clear coat polish. I prefer Turtle Wax Ice because I can use it on the stripes and all of gray textured plastic parts (like mirrors, rear lower and the mirrors). There are other kinds, lots here use Zaino but you need to keep it most of these off the plastic. I prefer the paste version.

Here's something else you need to do - detailing on this will be very important.

One choice is to take it someone you trust.

Another choice, if you are comfortable, is to do it yourself.

The process begins with a clay bar treatment, followed by a "waxing" - really, clear coat polish. I prefer Turtle Wax Ice because I can use it on the stripes and all of gray textured plastic parts (like mirrors, rear lower and the mirrors). There are other kinds, lots here use Zaino but you need to keep it most of these off the plastic. I prefer the paste version.

I like the turtle wax ice myself, I have never used clay bar, but know many of the forum members do, there is an exceptional body shop here and today I am going to run by and let them look at it and see if they want to do the paint and get a price to pull the scoop and paint.

GG

Steve you were right, Bud digs Shelby's and you can tell he enjoys his job. Hoping the Arizona weather has been kind to this car.

It won't be long now.......... :happy feet:

GG

G,

Yeah Bud's the man. I try not to add too much more to his already full plate at SAI but man can he get things done.

Here's a little tip. If you ever need to email or phone Bud do it before the sun rises. That guy gets in the office before the rooster crows.

Steve

PS- Glad the car arrived ok. Make sure you take LOTS of pics showing the silver stripes before you change them back to red stripes. Documentation, documentation, documentation. You can never have enough.

Silver stripes are nice, but BJ colors are BLACK/RED. So If you dont change them, it just looks like a 2007 SGT...But VERT!!

Red 9" stripes are in the immediate future for the top and shelby red side stripes, waiting on some replacement rivets from SAI, should be here next week, thought I found the instructions on how to do the rivets for the body shop, but another member said what I was looking at was for lock down bolts on the original scoop install. The car has rivets holding the hood scoop down, but I want the scoop removed, taken back to basic, primed and painted red, while the stripes are removed and reapplied by a local vendor.

I think this is the original production scoop but it has rivets all around it and does not appear to be warped, the Oasis report shows no warranty work. The dealer that repainted it silver and striped in silver must have reattached the hood wih rivets, still reading all the scoop posts. Nothing is simple, Stumpbreaker said the latest new replacement hood on his SGT 07 came with install instructions for the dealer, would have been nice if there was a clear post on this some where.

Thanks for comments, yes we are going back to red and black original colors, this is a SGT/BJ, hope to have the project done by end of month. Don't like paying for new stripes and scoop repainted, but that was the deal from the dealer.........

GG

CONGRATS GLENN ON YOUR NEW SHELBY GT. I AM GLAD TO HEAR

THAT YOUR CAR WAS IN GOOD SHAPE UPON DELIVERY. :happy feet:

SCOTTY

(P.S.) HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM MOUNTAIN HOME OR CONWAY ARKANSAS ?

ALSO IN THE LONG RUN HAVING A DIFFERENT COLOR STRIPE WILL LOWER

THE VALUE OF THE CAR. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I AM LICENSED AUTO-

BROKER AND CERTIFIED APPRAISER. SMART MOVE ON RETURNING YOUR

B.J. BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL STRIPE COLOR.

CONGRATS GLENN ON YOUR NEW SHELBY GT. I AM GLAD TO HEAR

THAT YOUR CAR WAS IN GOOD SHAPE UPON DELIVERY. :happy feet:

SCOTTY

(P.S.) HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM MOUNTAIN HOME OR CONWAY ARKANSAS ?

ALSO IN THE LONG RUN HAVING A DIFFERENT COLOR STRIPE WILL LOWER

THE VALUE OF THE CAR. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I AM LICENSED AUTO-

BROKER AND CERTIFIED APPRAISER. SMART MOVE ON RETURNING YOUR

B.J. BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL STRIPE COLOR.

I am just down the road about 2 hours at I 30 and loop 245 on the Arkansas side of Texarkana. I come to Little Rock all the time and have been to Conway many times, I'm sure you got to read my post on the Stripe Thread last night, I have some awesome red stripe kits in for my BJ from a stripe shop in AZ.

Bud is going to send me some rivets from SAI to reattach the hoodscoop for my bodyshop, but I am also interested in the aluminum rivet screws several members have used. I'm not far from getting back to bone stock from the dealer install of the silver stripe kit prior to delivery.

Hey we need to get together one day after I get finished, which will be very soon and meet somewhere. Have you driven down to Hot Springs lately, two nice fish restaurants on highway 7 (FishNet) just outside of Arkadelphia or in Hot Springs on the lake at the Marina on lake Hamilton.

It's been a bit of a pain but with some help from new friends on this forum and suggestions it will work out, this was the car deal that almost didn't happen. Putting in my sequentials on Wednesday. Earnhardt Ford in Chandler, AZ have been bending over backwards since this sale almost went South. They ordered me a new hood pin set and replaced the dealer window decals from Ford & Shelby and threw in a 5/60 Premium care warranty.

We have had so much rain down here and I suspect up there that I have only been out in my car twice since delivery. Man do I love this car I didn't realize how much difference there was from my 05 GT 5-Speed in performane and handling.

We need to stay intouch.....

GG

I am just down the road about 2 hours at I 30 and loop 245 on the Arkansas side of Texarkana. I come to Little Rock all the time and have been to Conway many times, I'm sure you got to read my post on the Stripe Thread last night, I have some awesome red stripe kits in for my BJ from a stripe shop in AZ.

Bud is going to send me some rivets from SAI to reattach the hoodscoop for my bodyshop, but I am also interested in the aluminum rivet screws several members have used. I'm not far from getting back to bone stock from the dealer install of the silver stripe kit prior to delivery.

Hey we need to get together one day after I get finished, which will be very soon and meet somewhere. Have you driven down to Hot Springs lately, two nice fish restaurants on highway 7 (FishNet) just outside of Arkadelphia or in Hot Springs on the lake at the Marina on lake Hamilton.

It's been a bit of a pain but with some help from new friends on this forum and suggestions it will work out, this was the car deal that almost didn't happen. Putting in my sequentials on Wednesday. Earnhardt Ford in Chandler, AZ have been bending over backwards since this sale almost went South. They ordered me a new hood pin set and replaced the dealer window decals from Ford & Shelby and threw in a 5/60 Premium care warranty.

We have had so much rain down here and I suspect up there that I have only been out in my car twice since delivery. Man do I love this car I didn't realize how much difference there was from my 05 GT 5-Speed in performane and handling.

We need to stay intouch.....

GG

Off the street these cars are awesome. The handling is awesome. Add a supercharger and it'll blow your socks and your underwear off.

Archived