TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT Convertable Barrett Jackson Edition

Glenn Greenwell

Hi All-

I regret to inform everyone that today the general manager and I decided this purchase would not go through and they have agreed to return the money, one of you gave me some good advice and said check the stripes.

Prior to shipment as I pressed for more details on the car, the dealer revealed they had totally restriped the car with 185 miles on it with silver stock Ford Mustang hood stripes and side stripes and the emblems on the car were not in very good condition.

This was after the general manager of the dealership did a personal walk around of the car, it was my car, had been paid for and was detailed pending shipment from Arizona to Texarkana, Arkansas.

They have agreed to return purchase price and my credit union has contacted them for refund, additionally the general manager stated the hood needed wet sanding and when they restriped the car they also repainted the red scope silver.

I contacted Ford Shelby by phone today and checked with them about the replacement hood scoop fix and this had not been completed and the new Shelby Red Stripes have a clear cover on them to keep them from fading and these had never been replaced on the vehicle.

Goodgrief what a week I have been excited about this deal for weeks, if I ever ever ever try to buy sight unseen, someone kick me in the behind please.

I started having a bad feeling when the shipment of the car was delayed last week, the general manager was a standup guy and said Glenn, even if we repair and replace the stripes and problems this is not going to be the car a Shelby owner would want and I can't in good faith sell this to you.

One of the worst days I have had this year, really devastated, maybe it was never meant to be. I have pulled down my signature, don't know what they will do about the MSO paperwork.

Thought I would just vent to some of you, it was such a special car, still looking for new or used Shelby Mustang BJ convertable 1 of 100 BJs & 1 of 39 convertables.

With regrets.......... GG

..........this is not going to be the car a Shelby owner would want and I can't in good faith sell this to you.

Wow. There has got to be more to this than just the stripes being replaced. Heck the stripes have been repaired on hundreds of Shelby's.

How about posting the vin so we can check the service history and perhaps see if the car has been sold to someone else.

Steve

Steve,

Yea there is more, the warranty start date on Oasis indicates June 30, 2008 with no explanation. I ran the Oasis report through a Ford Dealer with no repairs showing other than an airbag sensor adjustment or replacement this week when shipment was delayed. The car has 185 miles on it.

The general manager inspected the car and said the emblems were faded out and the hood needed wet sanding and the scoop was painted silver when they changed out the color of the wrong type of stripe from red to silver. Why would anyone do a color change on a special edition mustang with a limited production run of 100? Lesson learned, one should never take anything for granted, no one ever mentioned silver stripes in all the discussions I had after a heads up from several forum members here.

They also report minor interior damage during detailing for shipment to Texarkana, AR on Wednesday of this week awaiting part(s) for the interior. The stripes could have been redone and I agree. I also did not know the replacement stripes being furnished by Ford are different from the ones applied by Shelby. When I spoke with the Shelby Ford replacement folks they said the new stripe they are supplying has a clear coat above the red stripe. The BJ special edition emblem was faded out also and needed replacement.

I did ask if there was a professional shop in Phoenix that could rework the stripes, but would you not also have to pull the scoop and repaint it also. This one just makes me sick. Credit Union has spoken to dealer GM and they are to return money to credit union next week. There are no other automatics anywhere at any dealership in AZ. I am now looking for a Vista Blue SGT Convertable with Automatic and Nav new or used with low miles and good stripes and hood scoop.

It could of been worse, the car could be tied up in AZ as we tried to work all this out, I again give the GM credit for saying they need to return purchase price. I will feel better when money is back in bank and will start the quest again.

GG

Did you take any pics of the B-J vert with silver stripes, I know that is not correct but it did raise my interest in what it looked like

I'm in Arkansas and no I did not, they used the stock silver OEM Mustang GT stripe and side stripes (not shelby original). It did not say Shelby GT on the side accoding to the general manager when I spoke with him.

GG

Sounds like an ignorant dealer pretty much ruined this car. I'm amazed since this was a dealer driven edition.

Who is the dealer?

I need to wait until I get my money back next week and will keep you posted, I have located another car that is a 5 Speed and is being restriped. They are sending pictures hopefully today, he-l I already ordered an special license plate SGT BJ from Arkansas Revenue Office, the only thing I am stuggling with is being burned once on the stripes which could have been cleaned up, I'm like Steve there must have been something else.

The car I am now looking at is a 5 speed, I just don't know........

GG

I need to wait until I get my money back next week and will keep you posted, I have located another car that is a 5 Speed and is being restriped. They are sending pictures hopefully today, he-l I already ordered an special license plate SGT BJ from Arkansas Revenue Office, the only thing I am stuggling with is being burned once on the stripes which could have been cleaned up, I'm like Steve there must have been something else.

The car I am now looking at is a 5 speed, I just don't know........

GG

The plastic stripes will eventually fail anyway. I've seen some excellent jobs of painted stripes.

Well Earnhardt Ford, Chandler, AZ sent my purchase price back Fed Ex today to my credit union. I had a really bad experience over this deal. They bailed so fast on this, it would make your head spin.

I am now looking for another Shelby SGT with automatic and possibly Nav. If it wasn't for awake in Arizona I would be holding it in my hand while they unloaded a black car with silver stock mustang stripes, what a real waste of a low production car.

One of you asked for the Dealer name this ends the story. Spoke to Michael Morris on the phone today and he is looking for an SGT for me. I know I can trust him.

GG

Sorry to hear that...WOW, I cant believe that they would be that ignorant and put Silver stripes on a BJ edition, and then not even put OEM Shelby stripes at that, even if Silver.

Train of thought, Maybe they DID NOT put silver stripes, they just lied to you because they SOLD it to someone else for more Money!!

Dont lose faith, I purchased mine sight unseen, and Sunset Ford was A++. The best thing I can say is when you locate another, have someone here who lives near by to take a look for you, you wont go wrong.

Sorry to hear that...WOW, I cant believe that they would be that ignorant and put Silver stripes on a BJ edition, and then not even put OEM Shelby stripes at that, even if Silver.

Train of thought, Maybe they DID NOT put silver stripes, they just lied to you because they SOLD it to someone else for more Money!!

Dont lose faith, I purchased mine sight unseen, and Sunset Ford was A++. The best thing I can say is when you locate another, have someone here who lives near by to take a look for you, you wont go wrong.

Yeah I'll look for another car dealer with some help from forum members and try to locate one.

GG

Well this Barrett Jackson 08SGT2290 purchase of mine has been kind of like the soap opera As The World Turns. Took Steve's advice and called the owners at Earnhardt Ford yesterday checking on the status of the Shelby Mustang and left messages for not only the owner explaining what had gone on with the purchase, but also a message for the general manager to call me as I was still interested in the car. Suggested we try and start all over again to resolve the stripe issue.

Today while I am on the phone with Sanderson Ford trying to tie up loose ends on a SGT/BJ convertable with NAV & 5-Speed, which I really didn't want, but was making a concession to purchase the same because I wanted the Barrett Jackson Edition Convertable Mustang with Black/Red color scheme, my secretary comes running into the office and says you might want to take this call, the Ford Dealer Salesman in Chandler, AZ wants to offer you an additional $1500 off if you'll take the Mustang with silver stripes.

You guessed it, I snapped and took the deal after I called a local stripe shop in Texarkana, AR and told them what I was dealing with and asked them if they could restripe the car back to original colors. They have been putting stripes on new cars for a major dealer here. This way I'll have new stripes. The rear fax special edition emblem is a warranty issue and that will be taken care by the local dealer when it gets here.

The local stripe shop said no problem including the hoood scoop being repainted from silver back to red. If anyone knows the paint code for the red scoop, please help me out. They also are cutting the stripes with a red premium stripe material. There was a font type posted somewhere on this sight for those custom cutting their own replacement stripes to replace the defective ones. If you know where that is or the font type please drop me a pm.

Again there have been several forum members that have been especially helpful to me on the quest for an SGT/BJ COBRASCOTTY, SHELBYMOTORSPORTS, AWAKEINAZ, & TWOBJSHELBYS.

One additional thought for some help, the dealer offered to arrange enclosed shipment rather than open shipment for an additional $300. I decided to take this option to protect the car. Paperwork is on the way to Texarkana by FED EX and trip to Mil-Way Credit Union in the morning plans. Car is locked down at the dealers ready for another detail.

If this falls through, I'm going to find a rusty razor blade. It has definetly been an interesting purchase. I also got pictures of the car today in silver, I was wrong in a previous post, they did a full correct Silver Shelby SGT stripe replacement. I got somewhere over 15 calls from the salesman today, suspect the owner lite a fire under someone. An additional $1500.00 discount made up for all the trouble with this deal.

Finally got my SGT/BJ............GG

Congrats - but I think the striping should be repaired and restored to original configuration as part of the warranty. They shouldn't have changed it and it should be put back to original on their and Ford's nickel. Then try to arrange for painted stripes - you'll eventually do it anyway. I'm already getting some lifting and while I have warranty I'd just as soon get them painted on and be done with it forever. I became a convert when I saw Jeff's GT-H.

Congrats - but I think the striping should be repaired and restored to original configuration as part of the warranty. They shouldn't have changed it and it should be put back to original on their and Ford's nickel. Then try to arrange for painted stripes - you'll eventually do it anyway. I'm already getting some lifting and while I have warranty I'd just as soon get them painted on and be done with it forever. I became a convert when I saw Jeff's GT-H.

First, congrats to TAPD117 on the new addition to the family. Some things are just meant to be.

Tony, stripe replacement is on Shelby's nickel and while I can't speak for SAI my thought is that its not fair for SAI to pay for stripes when its the dealer that changed them. The dealer altered the car and appears to be taking responsibility by offering the $1500 extra discount.

Now one other thing to consider is to use the old school logic concerning these dealer applied stripes. Modifications to a car as long as its done before retail delivery has always been considered as a stock or factory option. So one could always keep the silver stripes, if they like them, and the car should be classified as this is how it came and could be considered one of one for the B-J cars.

I'm not saying this is what should be done all I'm saying is the car, because of the dealer applied silver stripes, already has some unique history. How many other B-J cars were stripped in silver before retail delivery?

Something to ponder.

Steve

First, congrats to TAPD117 on the new addition to the family. Some things are just meant to be.

Tony, stripe replacement is on Shelby's nickel and while I can't speak for SAI my thought is that its not fair for SAI to pay for stripes when its the dealer that changed them. The dealer altered the car and appears to be taking responsibility by offering the $1500 extra discount.

Now one other thing to consider is to use the old school logic concerning these dealer applied stripes. Modifications to a car as long as its done before retail delivery has always been considered as a stock or factory option. So one could always keep the silver stripes, if they like them, and the car should be classified as this is how it came and could be considered one of one for the B-J cars.

I'm not saying this is what should be done all I'm saying is the car, because of the dealer applied silver stripes, already has some unique history. How many other B-J cars were stripped in silver before retail delivery? Something to ponder.

Steve

Steve,

That was an interesting thought, in a prior post because the dealer had not sent any pictures they only told me the car had Ford stripes on it, which is why I pulled the plug, I thought it was the OEM Mustang GT type; however, it is actually striped with the correct Shelby SGT silver stripe top and side stripes, not sure how they did it but it is what it is. The color kind of grows on you, I'm wondering about collectability, would it not be proper to restripe back to red for a true BJ. That's kind of where I am coming from, this dealer in Chandler, AZ states they restriped several of their BJs because of the red stripe issue. You did pose an interesting thought though. Paperwork/money completed today and now have estimated shipping time of 14 days in a covered truck. Car has been pulled from their website.

I would be interested in some of our forum members thoughts on this issue. I did call the Ford Shelby Performance 800 number and ask them and they made the same statement, a dealer can do whatever they want with a car prior to sale. Kind of blew me away. By the way, I agreed to the $1500 discount in exchange for accepting the car with the silver Shelby SGT stripes as is.

GG

CONGRATS GG !!! YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING

THAT YOUR CAR IS 1 OF 5 PRODUCED AS A BJ VERT EDITION W/ AND

AOD TRANS AND THAT WAS OUT OF OF THE 39 BJ VERTS PRODUCED.

AWESOME WAY TO GO. PM ME IF I CAN BE OF ANY MORE ASSISTANCE.

I CAN HELP YOU CONTACT THE AREA SERVICE ZONE REP IF YOU NEED OR

RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS.

B.O.L.

SCOTTY

RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS.

B.O.L.

SCOTTY

I TOLD YOU I KNOW JUST ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS SEE NEXT POST WITH PICTURES.... GG

RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS.

B.O.L.

SCOTTY

Scotty,

I really appreciate your help on this deal, okay if this upload bombs like my last upload, someone help me out and put a descent picture out for everyone following this thread to see..........

You guys know how much I hate uploading pics but this is my car wearing Shelby GT Silver Stripes, good grief can you believe it, I acutally uploaded on 2nd try too, don't have a clue how to make them bigger...

GG

I thought I heard something like that Steve..thats why I mentioned it. Either way you looka at it, you have a limited run, thats why I love my GO, not to many of them and I am the only one in Houston, TX (2-3 total in Texas) and people stop to talk about the car all the time and take pics, even when I am parked next to GT500's

I thought I heard something like that Steve..thats why I mentioned it. Either way you looka at it, you have a limited run, thats why I love my GO, not to many of them and I am the only one in Houston, TX (2-3 total in Texas) and people stop to talk about the car all the time and take pics, even when I am parked next to GT500's

Keep in mind that dealer applied silver stripes most likely will not have any effect on the cars future value in my opinion. It would be more of just a footnote in the cars history.

Back in the 80's several of Shelby's cars only came painted black. Well although black looks great not everyone thinks so and one particular car must have had the most objections that several dealers started painting them another color after sitting unsold for over a year.

We have a Team Shelby member that has one of these dealer painted cars. I believe his selling dealer painted two of them this way. Is his car worth anymore because of the color change? In my opinion no. Its just a footnote in the cars history.

Same thing happened with the DeLorean. People must have complained about only having the stainless steel exterior that several dealers painted their DeLoreans as a way to move them off the lot. I don't follow DeLorean prices but my guess is a dealer painted DeLorean is worth no more than a regular SS DeLorean. Again just a footnote in the cars history.

One important suggestion though is to have the sales paperwork show somewhere that the B-J car was changed to silver stripes before delivery. Besides a notation on the sales invoice I would also get something in writing on the dealers letterhead about the stripe change. One can never have too much documentation.

Steve

Keep in mind that dealer applied silver stripes most likely will not have any effect on the cars future value in my opinion. It would be more of just a footnote in the cars history.

Back in the 80's several of Shelby's cars only came painted black. Well although black looks great not everyone thinks so and one particular car must have had the most objections that several dealers started painting them another color after sitting unsold for over a year.

We have a Team Shelby member that has one of these dealer painted cars. I believe his selling dealer painted two of them this way. Is his car worth anymore because of the color change? In my opinion no. Its just a footnote in the cars history.

Same thing happened with the DeLorean. People must have complained about only having the stainless steel exterior that several dealers painted their DeLoreans as a way to move them off the lot. I don't follow DeLorean prices but my guess is a dealer painted DeLorean is worth no more than a regular SS DeLorean. Again just a footnote in the cars history.

One important suggestion though is to have the sales paperwork show somewhere that the B-J car was changed to silver stripes before delivery. Besides a notation on the sales invoice I would also get something in writing on the dealers letterhead about the stripe change. One can never have too much documentation.

Steve

Steve, can the registry note this change was done? Then at least the footnote is recorded history where it matters.

Archived