TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Catalytic Converter Removal

What kind of problems would one encounter when removing the catalytic converters from the car. Do the off road x pipes kick a check engine light without remapping the ecm? I do not need to worry about emmissions inspection but I do not want to deal with the MIL being on all the time.

What kind of problems would one encounter when removing the catalytic converters from the car. Do the off road x pipes kick a check engine light without remapping the ecm? I do not need to worry about emmissions inspection but I do not want to deal with the MIL being on all the time.

you'd need a new tune. other then that you will encounter no problems at al

Lulu did this I believe. He's been popping up here and there so perhaps he'll see your post and comment.

This would be good to know, I've got a set of off road pypes sitt'n in the garage and I haven't put them on for that reason(check engine light).

they have to disable the sensors for the cats thats all. a retune will give you the hp increase though!

So if you get a SCT tuner they can tune that in?

yes and when i put my long tubes on this winter the cats will be deleted from mine as well.

KOOL!!!!!!!

Lulu did this I believe. He's been popping up here and there so perhaps he'll see your post and comment.

Well, not exactly, Jeff. I have deleted the factory mufflers and LuLu has open pipes from the "X" pipe back. However, my factory cats are in place...for now. IMHO, aftermarket "Hi-Flow" cats are available, and seem to be the only answer for the "cat question".

I do not need to worry about emmissions inspection...

Yes you do! If you reside in America (including it's possessions), "cats" are protected by Federal law. In brief, no cats = seizure of the automobile and possible criminal charges upon discovery.

Aftermarket "hi-flow" cats are legal, provided the OEM cats have...Umm...."failed" and the replacements have been installed by a licensed auto repair facility who will verify the repair. Ask me how I know.

BTW, I never experienced any MILs in the several cars I have removed the factory cats. However, all were using custom cats and tunes, which may have overwritten the EEC's. need to monitor the second set of O2 sensors. They can be shut off with a custom (SCT/Diablo) tune. Best to ask a professional tuner before you grab a hacksaw?

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

Archived