TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'10 GT500 vs ...

There was a previous post titled "Why does everyone want to race me?" and I was just wondering how well your car has performed if say, you were have to gotten into race with your car?

Was thinking about this topic because tonight I pulled up behind a 911 GT3RS on an empty road outside of the city and he tried real hard to shake me but he could not pull away from me. I was pretty impressed with my car considering his car cost about three times what my Shelby did.

I absolutely smoked a 85ish 930 Turbo last Sat. night. I left the traction control on and he was trying soooo hard to catch me but to no avail.. I have seen this car around town and I looked over at a red light and he was there! He wanted to pick a fight ( race ). Guess he has been racing all the GT's around here. Anyway that's my story. More later, denohew

"Street Racing" really is not a good test of a driver or a car, it is also illegal and dangerous.

Please take it to the track, then you can post your time slips. :peelout:

Steve

As long as you just race up to the speed limit, it's all good.

agree with steve--take it to the track.The only race that counts is for money or pinks at the track--anything ele is just who is more willing to kill them selves.We just had a race on I285 here in Atl between a Stang and a vette--they hit 130 mph in Traffic,ran into cars in front of them--5 people killed.I know its a real rush,but try and avoid

I have to agree with War Eagle and Torched10 on this one. Street racing is something that I would never participate in or encourage. It just not worth it, with the amount of risks involved. Innocent people can get killed..and for what? Just so you can say "my car was faster than yours" to usually a complete stranger? Nope.

In addition to what has been said already, generally people who street race tend to take more risks than they normally would if they were racing on a track during a controlled event. That's because psychologically, the drivers feel that they MUST vanquish their opponent so that opponent does not take away bragging rights and perhaps tell others that the car you are driving is really a slow POS in spite of what is written in the automotive press, and/or so they leave such an lasting impression, the owner of the vanquished car will tell others that the winning car is truely a formidible opponent. The other reason for the excessive risk taking is that those who spend a great deal of money on aftermarket performance parts want/need vindication that the money and time they invested in those parts were well worth the performance claims made about those parts.

The truth is that the vanquished driver will rarely tell his/her peers that they lost a race and if they do, they will rarely admit to anyone that the car that beat them is a better car than theirs is. And those that do tell others about the loss will usually add somesort of phony or legitimate excuse as to why they really lost the race.

In the end, if both parties are lucky and no one gets killed or injured during a street race, it only serves as a personal "big dick" contest for each driver; drivers who will never meet each other anyway.

No matter how much money and how much time one spends making their car go fast, there will always be someone "out there" who spends just a little more than you and has a faster car than yours.

Racing is all about the power to weight ratio, and we (Shelby Mustang owners) are at a tremendious disadvantage when it comes to our power to weight ratio, and that includes 1,000 H.P. cars too. You could have 10,000 H.P. under your hood, but what good is it if you can't get it down to the ground?

An excellent example of power to weight ratio? Has anyone ever driven or been in a Lotus Super 7? That car only has a small, 4 cylinder engine that in stock form only generates about 250 H.P. but they are SO FREAKING light, under hard acceleration you couldn't grab a $100.00 bill off it's dashboard to save your life. I've even seen modded Super 7's kick some motorcycle's asses; that's how light and fast they are.

Street racing: It just ain't worth the risks.

agree with steve--take it to the track.The only race that counts is for money or pinks at the track--anything ele is just who is more willing to kill them selves.We just had a race on I285 here in Atl between a Stang and a vette--they hit 130 mph in Traffic,ran into cars in front of them--5 people killed.I know its a real rush,but try and avoid

And BTW, the mustang won!(or did not crash I should say)

And YES, keep it off the street. Good friend of mine was hit head on by some kids racing. She is ok now but several days in ICU was not cool!

If you want to play on the street, keep it to burn outs off the line.... And donughts in the open parking lot...

Cmon todd--no one wins when people die

I know, I am sorry. Forgive me everyone, I was not trying to make light of the situation. I have cut more then enough people out of cars during my career as a FF/Paramedic. Just after 13 years on the job and tough skin, I forget some things are taboo to discuss like that outside the Fire house.

PS. Thanks Bob, for slapping me for getting out of line.

Again, sorry.

Todd

I toasted some guys in a rice burner a couple nights ago. I have not had the car out much, but was coming back through the city after a photo shoot and stopped at a light on the highway. Light turned green, I took off at a normal pace. I could tell the ricer (some honda family car with loud exhaust) thought we were racing. lol, I was just getting up to highway speed from the stop light. I gave it some gas and was gone. This car pulls Hard in second and third. I've found the faster I can get into second the torque or pull feels stronger. I can't wait to race a new Camaro. A couple guys in the neighbor hood picked them up, so I know it will happen.

Just a reminder for anybody racing a new Camaro SS. I believe I read somewhere they have launch control. Since they have launch control my understanding is you want to keep inching forward till you leave the line because they will not be able to activate it. From what I understand the brake must be on for it to work.

Took my '05 Cl65 AMG and my '10 Shelby to a airstrip today to have a little fun. Let my friend ( who is a motorhead ) drive the Cl first and he beat me by 1/2 of a car length in the 1/4 mile. Then we switched and I was driving the CL and I beat him by a car length. I new that the Mercedes would take my Shelby but now I know that they aren't that far apart except for the price! With the proper tire on the Shelby it would take the CL but the same applies to the CL with the proper tires. denohew

In addition to what has been said already, generally people who street race tend to take more risks than they normally would if they were racing on a track during a controlled event. That's because psychologically, the drivers feel that they MUST vanquish their opponent so that opponent does not take away bragging rights and perhaps tell others that the car you are driving is really a slow POS in spite of what is written in the automotive press, and/or so they leave such an lasting impression, the owner of the vanquished car will tell others that the winning car is truely a formidible opponent. The other reason for the excessive risk taking is that those who spend a great deal of money on aftermarket performance parts want/need vindication that the money and time they invested in those parts were well worth the performance claims made about those parts.

The truth is that the vanquished driver will rarely tell his/her peers that they lost a race and if they do, they will rarely admit to anyone that the car that beat them is a better car than theirs is. And those that do tell others about the loss will usually add somesort of phony or legitimate excuse as to why they really lost the race.

In the end, if both parties are lucky and no one gets killed or injured during a street race, it only serves as a personal "big dick" contest for each driver; drivers who will never meet each other anyway.

No matter how much money and how much time one spends making their car go fast, there will always be someone "out there" who spends just a little more than you and has a faster car than yours.

Racing is all about the power to weight ratio, and we (Shelby Mustang owners) are at a tremendious disadvantage when it comes to our power to weight ratio, and that includes 1,000 H.P. cars too. You could have 10,000 H.P. under your hood, but what good is it if you can't get it down to the ground?

An excellent example of power to weight ratio? Has anyone ever driven or been in a Lotus Super 7? That car only has a small, 4 cylinder engine that in stock form only generates about 250 H.P. but they are SO FREAKING light, under hard acceleration you couldn't grab a $100.00 bill off it's dashboard to save your life. I've even seen modded Super 7's kick some motorcycle's asses; that's how light and fast they are.

That was honestly one of the greatest explanations ever heard. well said.

Took my '05 Cl65 AMG and my '10 Shelby to a airstrip today to have a little fun. Let my friend ( who is a motorhead ) drive the Cl first and he beat me by 1/2 of a car length in the 1/4 mile. Then we switched and I was driving the CL and I beat him by a car length. I new that the Mercedes would take my Shelby but now I know that they aren't that far apart except for the price! With the proper tire on the Shelby it would take the CL but the same applies to the CL with the proper tires. denohew

IMO, a 1/2 car length is dam good for the Shelby. A you tube search of CL65 will yield Viper, Z06 and Ferrari kills.

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG

Base price $178,220

Vehicle layout Front engine, RWD, 2-door, 4-pass coupe

Engine 60o twin-turbo V-12, SOHC, 3 valves/cyl

Displacement, ci/cc 364.9/5980

Max SAE hp @ rpm 604 @ 5500

Max SAE torque @ rpm 738 @ 3000

Transmissio n 5-speed automatic

0-60 mph, sec 3.8

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 11.8 @ 120.9

Brk, 60-0 mph, ft 115

200-ft skidpad, avg g 0.86

600-ft slalom, mph 65.0

On sale in U.S. Currently

What's Hot

• Fastest-accelerating auto-trans-equipped car we've tested

• Every luxury amenity you could ask for

• No ride/noise/harness penalty for all this punch

What's Not

• Expensive, as you'd expect

• Low production numbers

• Rear cabin so tight it's almost a two-seater

Damn dude...that's deep.... :huh:

Archived