TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Disappointed in Stripes

okay i'll chime back in here.

although i am slightly disappointed in the stripes, i am in no way unhappy with the car as a whole. it is the finest piece of machinery i have ever had the pleasure to drive and is truly a dream come true for this poor boy.

i also would like to state that i am glad that we have a forum here to discuss things and i would hate to see some threads take a turn that would cause some folks like AmyB (who has been very helpful to us) to quit participating here.

The stripes on my GT500 are fine - good alignments on the overlapped areas and no bubbles. Just a great car, but did I miss the trunk release option inside the car?

You didn't miss it. It's in your pocket, attached to your keys. Press the button.

:stats:

bj

I just saw this and thought I'd throw in my 1 cent worth (meaning it's probably not even worth a full 2 cent opinion). I am still looking for my car and have been very close to buying 2 so far but we've been slightly off on the mark up and my trade in. I've twice been with in a couple grand though. THe last one was a Black vert with tungsten strips and I've always been a stripe delete guy so I don't look to close at the stripes but I really likes the tungsten on black. The car was beautiful and sitting there in front of it made it hard to pass up when we were just about 2500 apart and i could have easily tossed in the extra cash and been happy as pie now....in fact more often than not i am kicking myself for passing on that one....Anyway I did notice a tiny issue with the strips. This is the side stripes not the over the top as it is a vert. Where the GT500 is the line under it on the passenger side was about 2 inches short and left a large gap. It was not like this on the drivers side. I came home and looked at picks and from what I can tell the GT500 should be fully underlined so there are cars out there with legit stiping issues.

That being said - would I have still bought the thing for 10K over - Hell yes. Would I be a little upset about the stipe issue......probably so but am I buying the car for the sticker stripes - No chance....If I get this car and find that is my biggest concern then I will be pretty damn happy.

All of that being said it is allowed for someone to express their disappointment with the car in any way. I hope that most are not unhappy and that it's just little cosmetic issues when they are but to use the forum properly concerns (or as some may take it - complaints) should also be welcomed to the community so thank you for expressing your concern.....but be glad it's just a less than perfect sticker job that you are worried about not something more important.

While helping SCGT500 detail his car a little today I did a better inspection of the stripe job. I'm very disappointed in the front bumper area and the rear spoiler. The tape overlaps about 1/4 of an inch (what's up with that?). Not to mention that where it overlaps it's not staight. Very sloppy job in my opinion!!!

While discussing this with the hubby I had to explain to him that when I was about twelve years old I decided to pinstripe my beach cruiser bike. Yes, weird I know. I did a better job with it at twelve than the stripes on this car. Did I mention that I was into Ozzy Osbourne at the time and the stripes going down the forks of the bike spelled out - Flyin' High. None of my stripes overlappeded. Now I know that pinstripes are on a much smaller scale, but I thought professionals were doing this job.

My point is that I was twelve. Why are the stripes finished off so poorly? Just a few more minutes on this situation could have made a world of difference.

Severely Disappointed,

Co-Pilot

I know what you mean regarding the over lap. On the rear bumber of my car there is a over lap of 1/4 of a inch just actually looks like like they put a 1/4 additional tape to cover the over lap. I am not that concerned with that issue. My paint is flawless which I am very grate ful for. The strips except that one area are done well. Nice and straight.

For what its worth, we have a tape guy who comes out in his mobile truck and I have no doubt that he could redo for a nominal cost those areas you arent happy with.

WE actually had one customer on mustang Gt ... get his stripes painted. Cost about $1000.

I plan to keep the vinyls on .. esp since its factory ... and if a piece gets real ugly i will have our vinyl guy come in and fix it.

dond

I know what you mean regarding the over lap. On the rear bumber of my car there is a over lap of 1/4 of a inch just actually looks like like they put a 1/4 additional tape to cover the over lap. I am not that concerned with that issue. My paint is flawless which I am very grate ful for. The strips except that one area are done well. Nice and straight.

For what its worth, we have a tape guy who comes out in his mobile truck and I have no doubt that he could redo for a nominal cost those areas you arent happy with.

WE actually had one customer on mustang Gt ... get his stripes painted. Cost about $1000.

I plan to keep the vinyls on .. esp since its factory ... and if a piece gets real ugly i will have our vinyl guy come in and fix it.

dond

by your comment "esp since its factory" are you suggesting that in 20 years from now, an 07 Shelby GT500 with crappy vinyl stripes will be worth more than a 07 Shelby GT 500 with painted on stripes (a nicer job) ?

Those of you with stripe issues do have options. One is to have the dealer fix the problem areas. This "should" be easily done since our store has a vinyl guy who does this type of exact stripe on regular Gt and v6 ponie cars.

If the dealer wont fix it .. these stripes are that expensive and can the bad can be removed and new ones put on.

Thats what I plan to do for future reference. If i damage a stripe regardless how, I will just get our strip guy in and replace the bad portion.

We had one Mustang GT customer who actually went to the nth degree with his strips. He had them painted on. I believe it cost the dealer about $900

dond

post-7556-1165945647_thumb.jpg

dond

A custom stripe job, where the panels are totally sanded down...removed....striped....re-cleared, will run you between $2,500-$3,000 for the quality this car deserves.

by your comment "esp since its factory" are you suggesting that in 20 years from now, an 07 Shelby GT500 with crappy vinyl stripes will be worth more than a 07 Shelby GT 500 with painted on stripes (a nicer job) ?

I think the majority of the list would side with this comment. leaving the car bone stock would make it more valuable in the future and this includes semi silly bad vinyl strips.

This said .. I dont think the value of the car would be affected by "replacing those areas that shrink or get damaged with like vinyl. Does one car with painted stripes add or detract value to the car years down the road ? To the true enthusist prob not .. to a collector maybe. I tend to be the enthusiast.

But I do want to leave my car close enough to stock so that if just in case. The mods I have done can all be reversed with out much fan fare

dond

Archived