TEAM SHELBY FORUM

D3 is Colorado Red not Torch Red

War Eagle

I almost forgot to tell you guys that when I went to the Ford Dealer the other day the body shop gave me a small can of red paint to do the touch up and he explained to me that "Torch Red" is a GM color and the actual Ford color D3 that is on our cars is Colorado Red. He said the Stickers showing the color are wrong......

Some how Torch Red sounds better.

Steve

Steve--noitced the can said 2001-09.I parked next to a torch red 2009 D-3 car and it was aslightly different shade of red--mine had a little orange to it,his was real red.Could they have chnaged to formula for 2010 cars??Porbably cou;ldnt see it in a small amount.Did you just brush on the paint or spray it,then did the same with the clear.I have a factory origina chip on my door edge,and need to fix it---bob

Steve--noitced the can said 2001-09.I parked next to a torch red 2009 D-3 car and it was aslightly different shade of red--mine had a little orange to it,his was real red.Could they have chnaged to formula for 2010 cars??Porbably cou;ldnt see it in a small amount.Did you just brush on the paint or spray it,then did the same with the clear.I have a factory origina chip on my door edge,and need to fix it---bob

Bob,

The parts dept. did not have any 2010 touch up paint and said he would have to order it. He was going by the color code D3 and no names. The president of our local Mustang club has a GT with the color code D3 in the door and our cars are identical. You have to look at them from several angles as the light and shade will play tricks on your eyes.

I doubt that Ford would use the same paint code D3 and change the tinting mixture. That is why I included the tinting mixture on the can for you guys so you could double check it.

Steve

steve --thanks--how did you apply it??

I bought a package of artists brushes and then took the one that had the longest finest tip and shaved it even further to a near point. I then carefully filled the bare spot with several coats over a couple of days then clear coated. be sure and clean the area to be touched up throughly.

Steve

more out of curiousity, who manufactures the paint.Id love to see the mix on the 2010 paint.I. did find the cloorado red mix,but not for 2010--thanks

Ps have only owned one other Stang, but have been a Pontiac guy for years.They would use the same code each year and change the mix,so a 65 GTO with an N code for burgundy,was different than a 66 N code car,a little browner.So based on my paint experience,Im wondering if d3 is the same for each year or not fro Ford

I almost forgot to tell you guys that when I went to the Ford Dealer the other day the body shop gave me a small can of red paint to do the touch up and he explained to me that "Torch Red" is a GM color and the actual Ford color D3 that is on our cars is Colorado Red. He said the Stickers showing the color are wrong......

Some how Torch Red sounds better.

Steve

I was curious about that as my old Vette was "torch red" so I thought it was odd that ford had the same color.

Jsut to add to the confusion, my '03 Mach has 'Torch Red on the window sticker and all other appropriate paperwork. When I got some touch up paint from Ford, I used the D3 paint code and called it Torch Red. Not even a close match. I called a local automotive paint supply shop and ordered a quart of D3 Colorado Red. Perfect match. Oh, yeah. The build tag/stickers on the car? All say Colorado Red.

Manufactures change paint brands all the time. Price plays a big part in this.

Ford could use PPG, BASF and say Dupont in one years time.

All paint manufactures have the toners to make any color.

If colorado didn't match Torch it wasn't mixed up enough or was too small a batch as they are the same exact color. D3 is D3.

Archived