TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sunday, August 30, 2009 Ryckman Motorsports enters SCCA Autocross in Houston!

SPRSNK

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Regional #9 to be held at Gulf Greyhound Park.

Taking part in this event will be the 08TRT0402 and our 05 Lotus Elise.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Regional #9 to be held at Gulf Greyhound Park.

Taking part in this event will be the 08TRT0402 and our 05 Lotus Elise.

Very cool indeed - hope to see video and pics!!! :shift:

VB

Very cool indeed - hope to see video and pics!!! :shift:

VB

There will be both!

So what class is the Terlingua running in? I'm interested in seeing what it will be classified as with the functional hood and the supercharger. Best of luck I hope to see you in the spring at the events!

Looks like the Terlingua will fall into the F Stock Class and the Lotus will be in the Super Stock Class.

Link to car classifications:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2...anufacturer.pdf

The reason I put the Terlingua in the F Stock is cause of the almost 300hp category, like the Mach 1, although the GT350 and GT500 are also in the same class I'll see if I can persuade them to put it in G Class, that would be a little more in it's caliber I believe.

In this case it will be a fine line balance between horsepower and suspension upgrades, but we have the upper hand because no one really know what it is, then again when they see the name Shelby, they'll know some thing is up.

WeigtingApplesAndOranges_3.jpg

Looks like the Terlingua will fall into the F Stock Class and the Lotus will be in the Super Stock Class.

Link to car classifications:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2...anufacturer.pdf

The reason I put the Terlingua in the F Stock is cause of the almost 300hp category, like the Mach 1, although the GT350 and GT500 are also in the same class I'll see if I can persuade them to put it in G Class, that would be a little more in it's caliber I believe.

In this case it will be a fine line balance between horsepower and suspension upgrades, but we have the upper hand because no one really know what it is, then again when they see the name Shelby, they'll know some thing is up.

WeigtingApplesAndOranges_3.jpg

This is not the correct classification for the Terlingua.

I went all the way to the SCCA National boardmembers to discuss this issue last spring. Because the Terlingua is a "post-title" conversion, it automatically is dis-qualified for any "Stock" category. Because of the s/c, the deep draw hood and rearend gear swap; the first available category for which it qualifies is Street Modified.

Good Luck Rick! and have Fun! :shift:

edit: Local regions are however given a bit of leeway if they know you aren't trying to qualify for Nat's. My local club was willing to let me run in E-Street Prepared; but then my business tanked and I've not been to the track much at all this year :cry:

I dug up the correspondence I referred to in the previous post and thought I'ld share it:

Hi, Jeff,

From what I can tell, the Terlingua Mustang is a Terlingua package installed on a V6 Mustang (you buy the V6 Mustang and you take it to a Shelby mod shop for conversion). In that case, it’s not eligible for Stock category.

The first sentence of 13 Stock Category in the Solo Rules says:

“Cars running in Stock Category must have been series produced with normal road touring equipment capable of being licensed for normal road use in the United States, and normally sold and delivered through the manufacturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States.”

Since it’s not delivered and sold through the Ford dealer as a complete car, it’s not allowed in Stock. An example is the pre-2006 MINI Cooper S JCW. Before 2006, the JCW package was installed by the dealership service technicians after the car arrived at the dealership; so it was not eligible for Stock. Beginning in 2006, the dealer could order a MINI Cooper S with the JCW package already installed; that made it eligible for Stock. Even though a 2005 Cooper S JCW was exactly the same as a 2006 Cooper S JCW, the 2005 car is not eligible while the 2006 car is allowed according to the Solo Rules. This may not seem to make sense, but it could be a “Pandora’s box” of classification problems if after-delivery, installed packages were allowed in Stock. The possibilities could be endless considering all the different car models sold in the US.

Looks like you need to locate the category that allows the components of the Terlingua package and the class in that category for the Mustang V6. From a Hot Rod article http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrd...percharger.html, it looks like there is a rear axle gear ratio upgrade. If your Terlingua Mustang has a different gear ratio than the standard Mustang V6, your car would be eligible for SM. I know this may seem pretty stout, but Stock, Street Touring, and Street Prepared categories do not have a non-standard final drive gear ratio allowance.

...........and from another email he writes..............

The Solo Rules are basically a set of allowances, not restrictions. One of the best ways to interpret the Solo Rules is, “If it doesn’t say you can, you can’t.” Since gear ratios and modified hoods are not mentioned in STU, then they should be standard 2006 Ford Mustang V6. Street Modified is the “first” category you come to in the Solo Rules that allows non-standard gear ratios per section 16.1.D of the Solo Rules (page 101 of 2008; we’re expecting 2009 any day now): “Drivetrain and related components are unrestricted…”

Tin-top production cars are not required to have roll bars or roll cages. Roll bars/cages are not required in convertibles entered in classes that require DOT-approved tires (including competition DOT tires, AKA DOT R-compounds). If you’re in a convertible without a roll bar/cage, you can use a competition lap belt only and/or the standard 3-point lap/shoulder belt; no competition-type shoulder belts or upper torso straps. Prepared and Modified categories (which allow non-DOT racing tires) require a roll bar/cage in convertibles and specials. However, roll bars/cages are recommended in all cars.

Section 1.1 of the Solo Rules allow SCCA Regions to classify cars as best for their programs. I suggest that you ask the local Region Solo officials if they would let the Terlingua Mustang participate in ESP (Street Prepared class E). This is basically a pony car class (a lot of V8 Mustangs/Camaros). Even with a non-compliant rear gear ratio, I think the other ESP competitors may welcome you. If you just let the other competitors know about the non-compliant items, they are typically OK with it. And the reason I suggest ESP rather than STU or STX (or even SM) is because a Mustang is not an ideal car for Street Touring or Street Modified; it’s just bigger and heavier than the better ST and SM cars. But I don’t suggest entering a Divisional or National Solo event in ESP or STU; competitors are a bit more concerned about compliance issues at those types of events.

Doug Gill

SCCA Solo Competition Manager

I hope this helps explain how/why the SCCA will classify the Terlingua

They can classify it as a tin can for all I care as long as we get to run and have some fun :happy feet: As long as the fun meter is up, all will be well with the world.

/listens to his Vert with SLP Loudmouths and smiles

Drive time!

Just tryin' to help :sos:

Didn't want you to get blind-sided by a group of rabid "F-Stock" autox'ers. Some of those guys are way too serious and very anal about the classification thing.............. :gang:

I"m with you guys, I just want to show up, drive and have fun at stuff like that. :party:

Just tryin' to help :sos:

Didn't want you to get blind-sided by a group of rabid "F-Stock" autox'ers. Some of those guys are way too serious and very anal about the classification thing.............. :gang:

I"m with you guys, I just want to show up, drive and have fun at stuff like that. :party:

Thank you for you help. I could tell by reading the rules that it could get complicated. At first I was even unsure about taking the car out there until I knew what class it was in. I have been trying for over a week to talk to a local person about the event and about the classes, then I just decided who cares, just let me run the car wherever they think it fits. Your post did help. I finally talk to someone today an he said we would probably be in the SM class. I'm also planning on taking my SGT out also. That one is F Stock and should run well.

You can just BANK on this being a lot of fun!!!

Jeff, thanks for the clarification on the classification :headscratch: I think since this is not for the points it's merely a fun factor element.

DeWane, Chrstine, Rick and I have a lot of miles to spread around Texas this weekend.....

For starters on saturday (early) my wife and I will meet up with DeWane and Christine to go meet Rick and others for a memorial cruise for a very dear and close friend and fellow Mustang enthusiast (MCA Original Director/Chairity Director, and board member) whom was murdered recently, which will entail a 100 mile cruise through some of the best winding hill c ountry roads the Austin and surrounding areas has to offer, and stop for dinner and a stroll through a kick ass little toy store (don't tell me you're not still kids), where after the cruise DeWane, Christine will head back to Houston, followed by Rick, I'll go drop off the GT and pick up the Terlingua already pre-loaded on the trailer, with all our gear, and head east to our house, getting up at 3am to have coffee and make breakfast for my wife so we can head out by no later than 4am to arrive at GGP at 7ish am in the morning.

Register, tech and race, then possibly stop by the Hooters in Clear Lake again for the regular car gathering, and grab some dinner (Sherri ????) and then settle in to the saddle for a three hour trip back home, to turn around and get back up at 4:30am to goto work, I'll be solo that morning as I already got the memo everyone is calling in.

So.......... who else want to join in this mayhem, COME ON DON"T BE A WENNIE!!! :baby:

Jeff

You can just BANK on this being a lot of fun!!!

Jeff, thanks for the clarification on the classification :headscratch: I think since this is not for the points it's merely a fun factor element.

DeWane, Chrstine, Rick and I have a lot of miles to spread around Texas this weekend.....

For starters on saturday (early) my wife and I will meet up with DeWane and Christine to go meet Rick and others for a memorial cruise for a very dear and close friend and fellow Mustang enthusiast (MCA Original Director/Chairity Director, and board member) whom was murdered recently, which will entail a 100 mile cruise through some of the best winding hill c ountry roads the Austin and surrounding areas has to offer, and stop for dinner and a stroll through a kick ass little toy store (don't tell me you're not still kids), where after the cruise DeWane, Christine will head back to Houston, followed by Rick, I'll go drop off the GT and pick up the Terlingua already pre-loaded on the trailer, with all our gear, and head east to our house, getting up at 3am to have coffee and make breakfast for my wife so we can head out by no later than 4am to arrive at GGP at 7ish am in the morning.

Register, tech and race, then possibly stop by the Hooters in Clear Lake again for the regular car gathering, and grab some dinner (Sherri ????) and then settle in to the saddle for a three hour trip back home, to turn around and get back up at 4:30am to goto work, I'll be solo that morning as I already got the memo everyone is calling in.

So.......... who else want to join in this mayhem, COME ON DON"T BE A WENNIE!!! :baby:

Jeff

I met you last weekend, didn't I? I'll deff head on down to Hooters if you guys are going. Let me know.

I met you last weekend, didn't I? I'll deff head on down to Hooters if you guys are going. Let me know.

Hey Sherri,

You met Jeff last weekend or something like that. He had his daughter with him at the time. We're going to Hooters afterwords for sure.

Rick

In the tradition of Terlingua, give'em hell, Rick! :shift:

Always do :shift:

Archived