TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Suspension

So I need to soften up the ride on the SGT which means the FRPP stuff is coming off. I see SAI is pushing Eibach at the top of one of the pages and QP is telling me to go Bilstein.

Any input? I know I can't be the only one.

Of course this not being a political thread I will be surprised if I get any responses at all! :hysterical:

I run the FRPP springs with Tokico D specs and the ride is great for a lowered car.

I started with Eibachs, then Saleen, then BMR - all rode like buckboards.

The Ford springs and the D specs are the best combo IMO

I run the FRPP springs with Tokico D specs and the ride is great for a lowered car.

I started with Eibachs, then Saleen, then BMR - all rode like buckboards.

The Ford springs and the D specs are the best combo IMO

I was thinking Tokico was the supplier for the FRPP suspension on the car as received from SAI?

I was thinking Tokico was the supplier for the FRPP suspension on the car as received from SAI?

You are correct, but they are not D Spec adjustables.

D Specs have a single adjustment point for compression and rebound. They work exceptionally well and go for around $500 for front and rear.. A serious bargain IMO.

So I need to soften up the ride on the SGT which means the FRPP stuff is coming off. I see SAI is pushing Eibach at the top of one of the pages and QP is telling me to go Bilstein.

Of course this not being a political thread I will be surprised if I get any responses at all! :hysterical:

How much of the FRPP stuff do you think you need to remove? Is a GT ride soft enough?

Here are the GT take off parts:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt_coupe..._2005-2008.aspx

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt_front...-2008_pair.aspx

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt_rear_...-2008_pair.aspx

But of course this raises the car back up etc., and not ideal....just an FYI!

I have an '06 GT with all the "soft parts" you need...Wanna trade pieces?

No regular GT parts. I don't want a land boat just needing to smooth out the "buckboard" ride as mentioned previously.

And I'm keeping my original parts....

No problem...The ride can feel a bit harsh at times!

No regular GT parts. I don't want a land boat just needing to smooth out the "buckboard" ride as mentioned previously.

And I'm keeping my original parts....

My theory is like those above: best compromise will be the Steeda Sport springs and D-Specs; I would add the H&R 26mm rear anti-sway bar and see if that meets your needs. I had that setup on my V6 convertible, and it was a corner-carving machine with just a little ride quality deterioration. Noticeable but not harsh.

A lot of any harshness comes from the tire/wheel combo. With standard tires almost unnoticeable. With 18x8.5 SVT "Fanblades" and 245x45 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, stuck like crazy, but hard-riding. With 19x9/10 Saleen PJ Editions and 275x35 Pilot Sport PS2s, stuck almost as well, rode a lot better (expensive tires not strictly intended for competition tend to do that), but still a little quirky. With the 10-inch rims on the back, it was necessary to used a lot of D-Spec adjustment and a stiffer front anti-roll bar (Steeda adjustable) to recover neutral steer.

The H&R bar is currently on the rear of the GT/CS coupe, and makes a world of difference to the sensation of improved handling, especially upon turn-in: much more responsive and lots less lean. I might try that with the standard springs (or the Steeda Ultra Lights) to do a from-stock-to-satisfactory-compromise transition incrementally.

My old bones need a bit more coddling these days, so I'm not going to mess with the springs right away. Will hold to the philosophy evinced by the 1966 Lotus Elan: you don't have to have stiff springing to gain actual cornering power. Anti-sway bars will do a great deal for you, without jarring your teeth loose, or even having much influence on ride sensations in a straight line.

I would install the D-spec adjustables before anything else.... you can adjust the ride to your standards

Check with Stage3 Motorsports for pricing----- free shipping

=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

I would start by adding the adjustable D-Specs as well. My GT-H has the full FRPP Handling Pack and the ride is rough. My convertible has Steeda Ultralite springs, D-Spec Struts / Shocks, and Stillen swaybars. The convertible rides just like a stock GT, but the handling is comparable to the GT-H. The difference in ride between the GT-H and the convertible is very noticeable.

Looks like I'll be going with the D-Specs.

I looked them up and they come pretty highly rated all over the place.

This is an interesting post.

We traded an 06 GT for the 07 Shelby and the ride is more than noticeably different.

It is perfect for me when I am by myself. I don't mind it at all, in fact, I LOVE how it drives 100%, but it can be harsh when out for a drive with my wife. It is a little too harsh for her when she is by herself as well, though she isn't really complaining about it. Sometimes, when returning home after a weekend though, and bucking along on a rough concrete road for 50-60 miles, it can be a little much, I admit.

I will likely not ever change any of our suspension, but with the Shelby having a suspension that is said to be 60% firmer than the standard GT (and I believe every bit of that!), a "recipe" for a smoother ride that is still lowered the same amount would be interesting to know about.

I would install the D-spec adjustables before anything else.... you can adjust the ride to your standards

Check with Stage3 Motorsports for pricing----- free shipping

=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

I agree, if you're looking to keep it under a grand.

If you have the dough, however, ditch the damper setup altogether and go with adjustable coil overs.

When I set my Griggs stuff up on the softest street setting, the SGT is much smoother, better handling, and much less harsh than with the OEM FRPP stuff.

With the turn of a wrench, it morphs into a Porsche killer. Best of both worlds IMO.

Good luck.

Ken

We traded an 06 GT for the 07 Shelby and the ride is more than noticeably different.

It is perfect for me when I am by myself. I don't mind it at all, in fact, I LOVE how it drives 100%, but it can be harsh when out for a drive with my wife. It is a little too harsh for her when she is by herself as well, though she isn't really complaining about it. Sometimes, when returning home after a weekend though, and bucking along on a rough concrete road for 50-60 miles, it can be a little much, I admit.

I will likely not ever change any of our suspension, but with the Shelby having a suspension that is said to be 60% firmer than the standard GT (and I believe every bit of that!), a "recipe" for a smoother ride that is still lowered the same amount would be interesting to know about.

:happy feet: I love the ride and handling of my SGT. Your wife drives your SGT ? Brave man are you. For smooth comfort and the "land cruiser" ride I bought a Ford 500 (oops Taurus), for fun and driving enjoyment it's the SGT, you just have to learn how to hold the old Starbucks to avoid spilling. :shift:

... and bucking along on a rough concrete road for 50-60 miles, it can be a little much, I admit.

If our roads were better it probably would not be a problem. Most of the time the back roads we live on look like they were bombed. We crawl the two miles to the main road but even then that is no gurantee. My wifes old 2000 Eclipse GT cracked 3 of it's wheels on the horrible road surface here in Kaufman. We complained to the city and all they said was "bill us but it probably wont get paid".

Guest hfrosso

I love the ride of my SGT, i have an 08 convertible,the only thing is that the convertibles somehow seems to have a little higher ride compared with the coupe.

i would like to have my car lowered an 1" more, but everyone i talk to don't know what i can do (because the FRPP stuff i already have)

maybe someone in here knows more about suspension and can give some ideas.i,m not looking to replace the entire suspension set up, or a softer ride .

maybe i can replace the shock only ???? :shrug: if so can someone recomend me a good one??

thank's .

Archived