TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Clip Removal

I just removed the front clip of the car to install the high capacity heat exchanger I ordered from Evo. Dude, it was SUPER easy. Just a few (like 11) small bolts, 2 on top and about 9 underneath, and the thing pops right off! It's very, very simple so if any of you are hesitant like I was about doing the new heat exchanger...don't be. It's a piece of cake. I have included some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

post-25606-1250993301_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993309_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993315_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993323_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993301_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993309_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993315_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1250993323_thumb.jpg

Wow Justin!!! You don't waste anytime... :hysterical: Did you get your Stage Zero in also? Will totally transform car. It's amazing what a pulley and tune do to these GT500's. Enjoy!!!

I'm waiting on them to be shipped overnight. Should have the stuff on Tuesday. I just ordered it then went out into the garage to start trying to figure out how to remove the front clip. It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how the thing is attached to the car, then it took about 5 or 10 minutes to get it off once I figured it out. I'm super excited and can't wait to get the kit!

Very informative post Justindewoody. While I'm not intending on doing any modifications to my car...It's still great to know things that might come in handy somewhere down the road. It does look scary however with that whole front end off the car - even though I know it's not that drastic in reality.

Gotta love this S197 platform...Ford made it real easy to work on. The 07-09 comes off just as easy!!! The previous Mustangs I've had were not this easy to remove or replace, a manual was a must and patience. Good luck with install Tues.!!!

Here's a picture that has arrows pointing to the bolt locations. They are small screw type bolts and are silver in color with a large washer at the head. The 9 arrows pointing to the bottom of the panel are underneath the car. The 2 arrows at the top are on the top of the front bumper under the hood. Also, there are 2 bolts and 1 screw in each wheel well that must be removed. They hold the bumper to the wheel well. It's very easy.

post-25606-1251081384_thumb.jpg

post-25606-1251081384_thumb.jpg

justin, are there any special tools that one wouldn't already have in their toolchest that are needed? And wiring, for this ehat exchanger I believe some wiring needs to be changed, does this look like it will be hard? My toolbox is not overflowing with tools, lol. Thx!

No special tools required...just basic stuff like a ratchet and/or small wrenches. Very simple. No wiring changes for the heat exchanger...that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...
There is no wiring to be done or to be changed with the heat exchanger I ordered, right?

So Justin, one question...

When you took off the front clip, which bolts come out first? :headscratch: Also, did you have to remove the black plastic chin splitter first? Or does it stay attached as one piece? I am nervous about removing this thing... :fear:

So Justin, one question...

When you took off the front clip, which bolts come out first? :headscratch: Also, did you have to remove the black plastic chin splitter first? Or does it stay attached as one piece? I am nervous about removing this thing... :fear:

I was also very apprehensive and nervous about it, but once I got into it, I realized just how very simple it is. Don't be scared of it. It's SUPER EASY. Here's what you do...remove the 2 bolts on the top of the clip under the hood. They are the ones that hold the grille onto the radiator shroud. Then you remove the 3 screws/bolts in the wheel well on each side. Then you get underneath the front end of the car and you will see 9 small silver colored hex bolts...remove them. This allows the panel underneath to become free from the fascia. Remove the panel. Then you need to grab the side of the bumper/front clip at the wheel well where it meets the fender...and pull. It will pop loose. It is just kinda clipped in. Do this for both sides. Then your entire front clip is free. Just pick it up and it comes right off the car!

I was also very apprehensive and nervous about it, but once I got into it, I realized just how very simple it is. Don't be scared of it. It's SUPER EASY. Here's what you do...remove the 2 bolts on the top of the clip under the hood. They are the ones that hold the grille onto the radiator shroud. Then you remove the 3 screws/bolts in the wheel well on each side. Then you get underneath the front end of the car and you will see 9 small silver colored hex bolts...remove them. This allows the panel underneath to become free from the fascia. Remove the panel. Then you need to grab the side of the bumper/front clip at the wheel well where it meets the fender...and pull. It will pop loose. It is just kinda clipped in. Do this for both sides. Then your entire front clip is free. Just pick it up and it comes right off the car!

Thx Man, I may be doing it today if time allows...

And love the new pic of your baby.

Thanks so much for this very infomative thread. I too am doing the HE (along with pulley, intake, plugs, idler and some suspension stuff) on my next free weekend so it makes me feel much better. BTW, I'm custom tuning it on a Mustang dyno that day so it should be interesting..... . I'll keep ya posted.

• 3 months later...

Archived