TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Care and Feeding of the Super Snake

Set aside the daily feeding of ZR1's, Challengers, Camaos, etc., for our Snakes verocious appetite, was there supposed to be a "maintenance or service manual" provided by the Shelby company to maintain the high performance equipment installed? Besides the obvious oil and air filter changes, etc., a service manual explaining maintenance of the equipment would be worth it's weight in gold.

I've read all the posts regarding problems, etc., but an owner could sure benefit from having a service manual for this rare super car. Warnings and cautions would be of great value while obtaining the maximum performance from the installed equipment.

I did recieve the Kenne Bell installation manual, but it doesn't give specifics for maintenance to keep the supercharger running at it's peak.

Anyone recieve such a manual? :headscratch:

Jim

08SS0215

Set aside the daily feeding of ZR1's, Challengers, Camaos, etc., for our Snakes verocious appetite, was there supposed to be a "maintenance or service manual" provided by the Shelby company to maintain the high performance equipment installed? Besides the obvious oil and air filter changes, etc., a service manual explaining maintenance of the equipment would be worth it's weight in gold.

I've read all the posts regarding problems, etc., but an owner could sure benefit from having a service manual for this rare super car. Warnings and cautions would be of great value while obtaining the maximum performance from the installed equipment.

I did recieve the Kenne Bell installation manual, but it doesn't give specifics for maintenance to keep the supercharger running at it's peak.

Anyone recieve such a manual? :headscratch:

Jim

08SS0215

i agree Jim

mine did not come with manual.

How is your NEW SS?

Ron

I did not receive anything either.

I do know my air Filter is beginning to look bad, and I guess I go to Kenne Bell for a new one as their name is on the current one.

Do we need to change rear fluid?, Intercooler fluid?, I have put high temp brake fluid in.

Due an oil change soon as well.

Should we have the rear over flow tank?

I have also installed the 1 gallon Moroso intercooler resevoir and the aFCO iNTERCOOLER tRIPLE COIL to pervent heat soak.

i agree Jim

mine did not come with manual.

How is your NEW SS?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I haven't had much time to enjoy the car yet, as I was down with the plague all last week; must have been the guy sitting behind me on the flight back as he was hacking, sniffing, throwing up, complaining for a doctor on board to check him out for flu, etc. Haven't been that sick in years!

Okay, I'm gonna rant and complain about SAI's customer relations in the following paragraphs, some may not agree to my open forum of comments (I'm not pleased after a $46K facelift!). These items have already been brought to the attention of SAI personnel. There are other owners in this forum like me, and then there are owners who will think otherwise, but part of this forum is for all of us to express our outlook and experiences with these rare super cars and the company who builds them.

I'm not a whiner; spent 30 years active duty in the USMC (no whiners allowed), but I was pretty upset that after a $46K total face lift, SAI couldn't / wouldn't correct a problem with the car (see below).

The SS is a beauty obviously, but upon inspection at SAI and lifting the hood, the driver's side cooling tank was not perpindicular with the other engine components; I was not overly upset, but was irritated that the entire Tech Crew and final inspector (the same Shelby rep you had)overlooked this. That person said it would be fixed. The attaching hose had been cut too short, so the only way it could be mounted correctly was to install a new factory hose and this is what I requested. I was told the repair had been made and the car was ready and was shipped, but upon arrival and inspection, the tank is still off set and looks like a very unprofessional install. A buddy of mine noticed this as soon as I lifted the hood for his inspection. The SAI final inspector never called me back to ensure I was satisfied and that kind of follow-up is the true mark of an elite company who has customer relations at the tip of their spear. I'm continuing a very thorough inspection the car.

Quite frankly, once the car was delivered and I drove it home, I felt like SAI was signaling to me that, "well, we have your money now, it's out of our hands." I asked the driver for a list of items that he was delivering, "Ah, I don't have one." He handed me many loose parts not in boxes, and what was packed in the boxes was loose as well; nuts and bolts, metal parts loose, rattling inside, etc. I noticed that one of my brake caliper dust shields was missing. No 427 NASCAR Model or any of the other memorabilia that is supposped to be included in that kit (I know the bottle of Tequila is scratched; not a concern for me), but a notice of when the remaining parts of that package would be arriving would have been appropriate.

I think SAI needs to go back and review what this car is all about; it's just not about horsepower, mods, and looks, it's about the customer and what a customer should expect as a valued Shelby enthusiast when investing a huge amount of coin on one of their cars to begin with. SAI is a fantastic company that produces a very rare car, but the "rare" should be experienced by the buyer, and customer relations policies need to be reviewed over and over to ensure that problems like this don't occur. It is the sign of our times, when money is everything, and customer expectations and satisfaction are being overlooked.

I'm sure SAI will take care of my needs, but this after purchase odessy is not what I expected from a high caliber company like SAI.

Okay, I'm done. Let the dialogue begin.

Jim

08SS0215

Vista Blue Coupe

Hi Ron,

I haven't had much time to enjoy the car yet, as I was down with the plague all last week; must have been the guy sitting behind me on the flight back as he was hacking, sniffing, throwing up, complaining for a doctor on board to check him out for flu, etc. Haven't been that sick in years!

Okay, I'm gonna rant and complain about SAI's customer relations in the following paragraphs, some may not agree to my open forum of comments (I'm not pleased after a $46K facelift!). These items have already been brought to the attention of SAI personnel. There are other owners in this forum like me, and then there are owners who will think otherwise, but part of this forum is for all of us to express our outlook and experiences with these rare super cars and the company who builds them.

I'm not a whiner; spent 30 years active duty in the USMC (no whiners allowed), but I was pretty upset that after a $46K total face lift, SAI couldn't / wouldn't correct a problem with the car (see below).

The SS is a beauty obviously, but upon inspection at SAI and lifting the hood, the driver's side cooling tank was not perpindicular with the other engine components; I was not overly upset, but was irritated that the entire Tech Crew and final inspector (the same Shelby rep you had)overlooked this. That person said it would be fixed. The attaching hose had been cut too short, so the only way it could be mounted correctly was to install a new factory hose and this is what I requested. I was told the repair had been made and the car was ready and was shipped, but upon arrival and inspection, the tank is still off set and looks like a very unprofessioanl install. A buddy of mine noticed this as soon as I lifted the hood for his inspection. The SAI final inspector never called me back to ensure I was satisfied and that kind of follow-up is the true mark of an elite company who has customer relations at the tip of their spear. I'm continuing a very thorough inspection the car.

Quite frankly, once the car was delivered and I drove it home, I felt like SAI was signaling to me that, "well, we have your money now, it's out of our hands." I asked the driver for a list of items that he was delivering, "Ah, I don't have one." He handed me many loose parts not in boxes, and what was packed in the boxes was loose as well; nuts and bolts, metal parts loose, rattling inside, etc. I noticed that one of my brake caliper dust shields was missing. No 427 NASCAR Model or any of the other memorabilia that is supposped to be included in that kit (I know the bottle of Tequila is scratched; not a concern for me), but a notice of when the remaining parts of that package would be arriving would have been appropriate.

I think SAI needs to go back and review what this car is all about; it's just not about horsepower, mods, and looks, it's about the customer and what a customer should expect as a valued Shelby enthusiast when investing a huge amount of coin on one of their cars to begin with. SAI is a fantastic company that produces a very rare car, but the "rare" should be experienced by the buyer, and customer relations policies need to be reviewed over and over to ensure that problems like this don't occur. It is the sign of our times, when money is everything, and customer expectations and satisfaction are being overlooked.

I'm sure SAI will take care of my needs, but this after purchase odessy is not what I expected from a high caliber company like SAI.

Okay, I'm done. Let the dialogue begin.

Jim

08SS0215

Vista Blue Coupe

Well Jim,

Sorry to here you were ill. Sorry you have such a dim view of SAI. First I have heard of these issues on your vehicle. Maybe you would like to contact me before you assume too much. There is a different path you had available to you to have your concerns addressed.

Call me anytime 702.942.7325 extension 145

Roger

Well Jim,

Sorry to here you were ill. Sorry you have such a dim view of SAI. First I have heard of these issues on your vehicle. Maybe you would like to contact me before you assume too much. There is a different path you had available to you to have your concerns addressed.

Call me anytime 702.942.7325 extension 145

Roger

Well Roger,

Thanks for chiming in. Dim view? Not quite; just reality.

Thanks for the offer to assist, but I will wait for the POC to solve the problems. I'm waiting for an e-mail me back (he doesn't accept phone calls according to his voice mail). I'm sure if the issues are not solved, you will make things crystal clear with my $98K Super Snake.

I would suggest publishing an owners manual for the SS to assist owners with maintenance of these super cars; many on the forum would appreciate this manual and this gesture would make the finished product that much better.

Jim

I'm sure many of the 40th Anniv. cars, since they have many of the SS upgrades, would appreciate one of these SS manuals as well.

Just got off the hook with Roger. He said an Detroit Ford Engineer who wrote the KR manual will produce an owner's manual for each type of SAI built car, i.e., 40th Anniversary, GT500, with the 725 HP package or the 605 HP package, etc. Each individual manual will explain all of the performance parts; how they function, limitations, safety aspects, maintenance, etc.

This is outstanding news Roger and thanks for the phone call.

Thanks.

Jim

Just got off the hook with Roger. He said an Detroit Ford Engineer who wrote the KR manual will produce an owner's manual for each type of SAI built car, i.e., 40th Anniversary, GT500, with the 725 HP package or the 605 HP package, etc. Each individual manual will explain all of the performance parts; how they function, limitations, safety aspects, maintenance, etc.

This is outstanding news Roger and thanks for the phone call.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for posting and SAI and Roger, thanks for listening to us...... :happy feet:

Jim,

Thanks for posting and SAI and Roger, thanks for listening to us...... :happy feet:

Alexandros,

This is the least I can do; these cars are so complex; owners and potential buyers need to know the operational and limitations aspects of each component and their threshold's to ensure we obtain maximum performance and at the same time we can keep from damaging these components.

Roger has his hands full and he is listening and monitoring the forum daily. He will take care of these issues for the Shelby community.

Jim

Alexandros,

This is the least I can do; these cars are so complex; owners and potential buyers need to know the operational and limitations aspects of each component and their threshold's to ensure we obtain maximum performance and at the same time we can keep from damaging these components.

Roger has his hands full and he is listening and monitoring the forum daily. He will take care of these issues for the Shelby community.

Jim

Couldn't agree with you more....I met Roger in person at Tasca Ford...I know he works hard and is very busy....I am very confident that SAI and Roger will not let us down..... :happy feet:

Update.

We will be working on a Super Snake supplimental manual. We will keep you all updated on progress.

Roger

Will they have a charcoal leather bound cover with gold embossed printing on it?

Will they be consecutively numbered?

Will they have metal "book plaques" mounted on the inside front cover with Carroll's signature etched in them?

Will Carroll write the forward on the manual?

Will the word "Shelby" be spelled correctly?

Will the cover have a Super Snake stripe running across it? How about the Cobra logo?

Will the book have 10" or 11" wide pages?

What kind of font will you use to print the pages?

If I donate to the foundation, will Carroll sign my manual?

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Will they have a charcoal leather bound cover with gold embossed printing on it?

Will they be consecutively numbered?

Will they have metal "book plaques" mounted on the inside front cover with Carroll's signature etched in them?

Will Carroll write the forward on the manual?

Will the word "Shelby" be spelled correctly?

Will the cover have a Super Snake stripe running across it? How about the Cobra logo?

Will the book have 10" or 11" wide pages?

What kind of font will you use to print the pages?

If I donate to the foundation, will Carroll sign my manual?

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Halarious! Yeah, you'll get all of that, plus a ride in a "BIG FAT GOODYEAR BLIMP!" :drool:

As an early owner 07ss0038 I am thrilled to hear about a manual. I don't put a lot of miles on the car but regular maintanance is vital. Please include tire pressure and tire warrenty info.

Thanks

JS,

Roger (Shelby SAI Department Head) and I have a plan. I will post a new thread with instructions for owners of all type SS's to send their input to the manuals. Yes, tire pressure, warranty, etc., is an excellent example of what we will annotate in the Owner's Series Manuals.

jim

Great Jim...

this will give us all an opportunity to be part of the SOLUTION... rather than just bitching about it!

I'm sure the input of some of the early SS owners will be helpful. I'll chip in what I can as well.

Thanks for getting the idea out there and thanks, Roger for listening!

Ron

Archived