TEAM SHELBY FORUM

In need of some good advice

ok guys this is going to be a long one. let me just start by saying this has been going on since last november. here goes. i own a 2007 shelby gt i purchased brand new from a dealer that shall remain nameless for the moment. in november i was driving down a busy road here in town and my shifter came out in my hand, had to drive all the way home in 3rd gear. no big deal call said dealership they come and pick it up. when i go to pick up the car after they fixed the shifter i said to the service manager how i wasn't happy with the hood pins rusting and the stripes were getting like a moldy looking blotches on them, he tells me that it is all covered under warranty, i say great lets fix it. now this is when the car had maybe 3000 miles on it. ok parts come in i drop off the car. when i recieve the car back it had circle dents around the hood pin assembly and i guess the original stripes were to hard to take off so guess what, yes they put the new ones over the old ones, so as you can guess i was'nt happy and they got a third party to decide if it was a terrible job which of course he said it was. wait don't stop reading now it gets better. ok so this third party guy is going to do the stripes again, only problem was third party and dealer did'nt want to tell shelby what they did to the stripes that were sent to dealer to fix the first time they were to replace the stripes, so they just went and got any old stripes the the guy down the street which i did'nt know at the time. so he does the stripes and they somewhat fixed the dents , i guess with painless dent guy or something. anyway job looks pretty good, not great but good enough i guess. so 3 months later my stripes are turning orange everywhere the sun hits them i take it back to said nameless dealer who in turn tells me it is from my sprinklers well water hitting them. i don't have a well or sprinlers mind you. car has about 9000 miles at this point. so now i know i'm going to have issues with them fixxing the stripes again. so i call ford and i call shelby and i call anyone who will listen. shelby which has been great through this whole process by the way, says they are going to fix it under the customer satisfaction warranty. hold on here come the good part. so i take my car to another dealer 45 miles away in the big city. they get the car and take the stripes off only to find out the paint came off the bumper and the third party guy used a razor blade to make the second set of stipes strait i guess, so you can imagine what it did to the paint. so now shelby does'nt want to pay the monet to repaint the car, and i can't blame them. mean while my car has been at the dealer over a week now, waiting on who is going to pay for it. my question is how much value am i going to lose when the car has to be repainted. and do i have any legal obligations as far as taking the car back. the regional ford guy was supposed to get involved but i have yet to here from him, or anybody else for that matter as of lately. so i guess i am just sick of the whole situation. oh and i wish it was as easy as just dropping the car off at said nameless dealer, which i would have by now but, i traded a 2002 corvette that was almost paid off for this mustang. so if anyone has got any helpull insight as to where do i go from here it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

sincerly,

one pissed off shelby owner

Sorry to hear about. I just went through a three month issues getting the stripes and scoop replaced( the body shop that did it has told me they will never do another) I would push the issue with the regional Rep, get his name and number and call yourself.

Have you spoken with the General Manager or owner of the dealership that did the original work?

Mark

First off you must have saintly traits in your personality, I'd would have been in jail by now regardless of what kind of car it was.

This sounds like the bad news bears breaking training camp really who does stupid s**t like that to a car. And then they try and hide out on you, I'd personally make sure to collect all your tickets on what was done and when by the dealership as documentation for yourself. I'd want to be there when the rep inspects the car with my camera ready. And my two cents on getting a paint job is your due the dealer and the 3rd party messed things up they should put the money up.

As for hurting value its all relative in my personal opinion how much value you place on it in perfect A 1 condition my not be in line with someone elses idea of its value, I'd want my car right then I'd enjoy driving it.

thats just my humble opinion good luck with everything and I hope to hear all the wrongs have been righted.

kb67

ok guys this is going to be a long one. let me just start by saying this has been going on since last november. here goes. i own a 2007 shelby gt i purchased brand new from a dealer that shall remain nameless for the moment. in november i was driving down a busy road here in town and my shifter came out in my hand, had to drive all the way home in 3rd gear. no big deal call said dealership they come and pick it up. when i go to pick up the car after they fixed the shifter i said to the service manager how i wasn't happy with the hood pins rusting and the stripes were getting like a moldy looking blotches on them, he tells me that it is all covered under warranty, i say great lets fix it. now this is when the car had maybe 3000 miles on it. ok parts come in i drop off the car. when i recieve the car back it had circle dents around the hood pin assembly and i guess the original stripes were to hard to take off so guess what, yes they put the new ones over the old ones, so as you can guess i was'nt happy and they got a third party to decide if it was a terrible job which of course he said it was. wait don't stop reading now it gets better. ok so this third party guy is going to do the stripes again, only problem was third party and dealer did'nt want to tell shelby what they did to the stripes that were sent to dealer to fix the first time they were to replace the stripes, so they just went and got any old stripes the the guy down the street which i did'nt know at the time. so he does the stripes and they somewhat fixed the dents , i guess with painless dent guy or something. anyway job looks pretty good, not great but good enough i guess. so 3 months later my stripes are turning orange everywhere the sun hits them i take it back to said nameless dealer who in turn tells me it is from my sprinklers well water hitting them. i don't have a well or sprinlers mind you. car has about 9000 miles at this point. so now i know i'm going to have issues with them fixxing the stripes again. so i call ford and i call shelby and i call anyone who will listen. shelby which has been great through this whole process by the way, says they are going to fix it under the customer satisfaction warranty. hold on here come the good part. so i take my car to another dealer 45 miles away in the big city. they get the car and take the stripes off only to find out the paint came off the bumper and the third party guy used a razor blade to make the second set of stipes strait i guess, so you can imagine what it did to the paint. so now shelby does'nt want to pay the monet to repaint the car, and i can't blame them. mean while my car has been at the dealer over a week now, waiting on who is going to pay for it. my question is how much value am i going to lose when the car has to be repainted. and do i have any legal obligations as far as taking the car back. the regional ford guy was supposed to get involved but i have yet to here from him, or anybody else for that matter as of lately. so i guess i am just sick of the whole situation. oh and i wish it was as easy as just dropping the car off at said nameless dealer, which i would have by now but, i traded a 2002 corvette that was almost paid off for this mustang. so if anyone has got any helpull insight as to where do i go from here it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

sincerly,

one pissed off shelby owner

im tempted to say lawyer and sue said nameless dealer but that gets expensive...by the way whats the name. dont be stingy i want to know who has such horrible horrible service so i avoid them at all cost and they eventually go under for the crappy crappy service.

i'd keep calling ford, let shelby know what has happened. you need to bypass the regional guy and go to the top with ford. this kind of work they wont tolerate.

if your mad enough you should park your car across the street from said dealer and put a big sign on it that say "ruined stripes and paint courtesy of *dealers name here*" that really gets their attention.

EDIT: my response may be alittle over the top but things like this REALLY get my blood boiling. this kind of thing is just unacceptable

Sadly I have had much the same experience. The hood and roof stripes are VERY VERY hard to do properly and when the dealer messes up a warranty job the next set, and any other stripes, are on their dime! SPP stripes are VERY expensive so dealers will try to slip in a 3rd party vendor and material if at all possible as the entire job is coming out of their pocket.

Note to others: NEVER EVER EVER EVER allow this! If you want SPP stripes then make sure they buy them and tell the dealer where they can order them from, SPP (note at this point it's no longer a Ford Racing Warranty job), and get a order number that you will verify with SPP. A good clue are the infamous washer nozzles! SPP stripes have cut outs it's VERY rare a 3rd party striper will bother and instead run them under the nozzles instead. They look better that way BUT they are not SPP stripes and that's what you paid for.

Having said all this, there is nothing wrong with getting 3rd party stripes IF that's what you want to do, as I have, BUT if you want SPP stripes then that's what you should get and not be lied to as I was TWICE.

Lastly, the stripes are hard to keep 1" apart all the way down. So in desperation some people will use a single sheet of material and cut the center gap out with a razor. That's BAD BAD BAD! As you can see here so if you do ever decide to go the 3rd party route make sure they don't try that trick or you will find razor cuts into your paint.

If you haven't already please review the information and experiences in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37527

Please continue the discussion there.

Good luck and I hope it all works out!

-Jeff

P.S. Another issue those with 07s have when doing hood stripes only is the difference in materials. The 07's have a thin dull looking stripe where the 08's and above have a thicker more glossy metallic looking stripe. I was in a situation at one point where my car had three different kinds of stripes! Hence my having the entire car redone at my own expense.

P.S.S. The small circular dents you saw around the hood pins were most likely due to the screw going into the inner layer of the hood, screwed too tight, and pulling the upper layer downward. I did it on one screw when I swapped mine out. If you loosen the screw it should pop-back up similar to what happens when the riveted scoop is done incorrectly.

Archived