TEAM SHELBY FORUM

owner supercharged-SGT registry

For all those with a blower (or turbo) but without a factory installed GT/SC tag, check in here.

Feeling left out of all the 'official' fun? Find a shoulder in the 'Owner Supercharged-SGT Registry' thread. :lol:

Why didn't you get yours done at Shelby Autos? Any regrets?

08SGT1292 - Paxton - kahmann

I love getting a first reply!

I have an Edelbrock Supercharger and I love this car all over again. I don't have any regrets, truth is, there won't be a big return on investment for 10-20 year or more. Plus, after all my research, I love the design of the Edelbrock and Shelby wouldn't have installed it anyway.

post-20282-1250851283_thumb.jpg

post-20282-1250851283_thumb.jpg

I love getting a first reply!

I have an Edelbrock Supercharger and I love this car all over again. I don't have any regrets, truth is, there won't be a big return on investment for 10-20 year or more. Plus, after all my research, I love the design of the Edelbrock and Shelby wouldn't have installed it anyway.

Nice, but time to clean that engine compartment!

:rant2:

Ken,

Hope I am allowed in here. ;) I don't know why I did not pick up on the fact you are Paxton supercharged. My question is how you did that given that Paxton is not C.A.R.B. certified for 2008. You already know the Paxton was my first choice so I am really interested in how you pulled it off.

Jim

I have the Whipple 400. I put it on myself which to me gives me a good feeling every time I drive the car. The main reason I didn't have Shelby do it or Tasca was the pricing. I saved about 3K by just buying it and putting it on. I don't have one regret at all. To each his own I say.

The car is about fun for me and not what it might be worth in 30 years. It's not in my retirement portfolio.

08SGT1190

post-20110-1250858057_thumb.jpg

post-20110-1250858057_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Hope I am allowed in here. ;) I don't know why I did not pick up on the fact you are Paxton supercharged. My question is how you did that given that Paxton is not C.A.R.B. certified for 2008. You already know the Paxton was my first choice so I am really interested in how you pulled it off.

Jim

you can still buy the Paxton unit and do the install your self (like Ken did) or have it installed at a performance shop

Last year Tasca Turbo Charged my SGT it was nice but after driving the GT500/SCJ I wanted more power. So we decided on the Techco 5.0 engine and the Techco 3.0SC. After some set backs Tasca rebuilt/stroked the Techco 5.0 and all seems to be coming together real nice. Both my Shelby's were one off builds by Tasca with complete documentation for my records, no regrets at all. It refreshing that some can still build/mod the Shelby's like it was done in the old days.

you can still buy the Paxton unit and do the install your self (like Ken did) or have it installed at a performance shop

Understood... but I'm with Jim in that there is still some confusion over whether

the Paxton Novi kits are CARB legal for 2007-2008 V8s. According to the Paxton

site, it says all kits are CARB legal except where noted, but I can't find where

that notation exists. My feeling is that is still isn't legal for Calif. (note that CARB

hasn't stopped Ken from doing mods to his car), so SAI won't touch it. Won't

stop me either, since I like the vintage look and don't need the /SC part of

the stripe (also more vintage correct, except for one single exception).

So kudos on starting this thread.

-Tom

Understood... but I'm with Jim in that there is still some confusion over whether

the Paxton Novi kits are CARB legal for 2007-2008 V8s. According to the Paxton

site, it says all kits are CARB legal except where noted, but I can't find where

that notation exists. My feeling is that is still isn't legal for Calif. (note that CARB

hasn't stopped Ken from doing mods to his car), so SAI won't touch it. Won't

stop me either, since I like the vintage look and don't need the /SC part of

the stripe (also more vintage correct, except for one single exception).

So kudos on starting this thread.

-Tom

this is vintage

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paxton-Supe...sQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAXTON-TWIN...sQ5fAccessories

sorry :backtotopic:

I installed the Paxton myself !! Yes, I would rather have an SAI Whipple SC; however, the self-installed Paxton made economical sense, several thousands worth.

I did have some issues with the initial tune but QP fixed me up :)

No regrets...BTW I like being a stealth SGT/SC, no markings ;)

PICT0775.jpg

i have the whipple 550. The reason i did not take it to shelby was time, i was hearing about the ppl not getting there cars back for months and months at a time and since mine is daily driven i couldnt have that much down time for it and plus i had a local shop do it for alot cheaper. the only regret is i really want that side stripe and the sgt/sc faux gas cap!!!! :-(

s1.jpg

all217.jpg

I have a 400hp whipple my dealer installed for me. I saved some money but I have a great relationship with them and they had their best tech install it and meet with me. Wish it could go in the registry and have a plate for it but oh well. Some of you will flame me but I did have the GT/SC stripes made and I put them on.

post-21375-1250875313_thumb.jpg

post-21375-1250875327_thumb.jpg

post-21375-1250875313_thumb.jpg

post-21375-1250875327_thumb.jpg

Cool parts... OK, since you took us off topic, here is my vintage link:

http://www.nvsaac.com/gallery/1966_shelby11.htm

The supercharged example is about mid-way through the gallery.

The stripe exception I mentioned previously belonged to 6S051 with the funky "S"

described at the bottom of the page.

-Tom

I purchased the 400HP kit really cheap and did the install at the shop. I dont worry about value of the car because my kids will see the value when Im gone. I too put on the GT/SC stripes. And a few other goodies. As for being a imposter I dont worry because its all Genuine Shelby I just didnt spend the coin on the labor from Shelby. Now Im not knocking shelby, there is just no local mod shops to get the work done. Plus Im impatient, I want the work done yesterday. LOL

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

I purchased the 400HP kit really cheap and did the install at the shop. I dont worry about value of the car because my kids will see the value when Im gone. I too put on the GT/SC stripes. And a few other goodies. As for being a imposter I dont worry because its all Genuine Shelby I just didnt spend the coin on the labor from Shelby. Now Im not knocking shelby, there is just no local mod shops to get the work done. Plus Im impatient, I want the work done yesterday. LOL

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

Nice job on the lettering. Your SGT is always so clean... May I ask what is the name of the font and size?

I have the Edlebrock E-Force supercharger too.

After studying the Superchargers in great detail I chose this one for a few reasons:

1. Edlebrock has the best customer service I have ever encountered..

2. The SuperCharger has the best HP gains with the least ammount of pressure, superiror design. less pressure means better reliability.

3. Eforce can be "Dialed" in up to 1000 Hp.. (boy don't I wish my drivetrain could handle it) COSMIC ULTIMATE POWER (in a little bitty space)

4. Installation Kit was a complete kit, I did not need to purchase anything, not even a tube of sealer!

5. final install looks great! IMO better than a whipple!

6. Budget constraints, my install total was $5700

7. My location; No authorized Shelby mod shops within 10,000 miles...

8. Time: Like everyone else, I could not wait for the install,, N-E-E-D S-P-E-E-D------------------NOW!!!!!

9 the best part: Virtually undetectable outside the vehicle, even under boost! this is due to the lower pressure..

I did not go with the stripes, what I did was not a Shelby upgrade, though I do understand what the other guys did... I went with a more Ahem,,,,subtle approach. If your unfortunate to get beside me (like that silly Skyline GTR) and your eyesight isn't that great,,,,well, this pic speaks for itself.. :drool:

gnb

post-24335-1250902733_thumb.jpg

post-24335-1250902733_thumb.jpg

07SGT4986

550 Whipple'd

Andy Shaw Ford (now out of business), registry did not excite me, wanted to stay local, wife would have wondered where the hell the car went, instead she thinks it went in for an oil change.

web.jpg

Lovin' every minute of it !

Take Care

Andrew

Ken,

Jim

Hey Jim, yeah man I went with the Paxton for the heritage, potential gains, style, and price tag. Paxtons are still sold everywhere. SAI just won't install them.

That was one of the leading factors in my decision not to ship it off to SAI actually. I'm glad I did the install myself. I learned a lot about my car and didn't have to wait very long for it to be done. :)

I'm definitely envious of the underhood tag from SAI, however. I compensated for that partially by finding a vintage Shelby American/Paxton tag. ;)

DSC07021.jpg

AZ, I have no idea what font it is. I went to my local decal guy who makes all of my business decals, cards, and so on. I brought in a couple of Shleby pictures and a Shelby book that shows the stripe very clearly and twenty minutes later it was done.

I am saving my funds and want to do the upgrade. I am not that mechanically savy, so I wont install it my self. I haven't asked around, but I am taking from the comments that it is cheaper install at a local performance shop vs. the SAI Mod Shop. Correct?

The registry would be nice, but lets not kid ourselfs, these cars have been around 3 years now, and they still dont have the registry out!! QP is omly 200 miles from me, but in this economy, money is important, dont want to waist it. I also want it done quickly.

AZ, I have no idea what font it is. I went to my local decal guy who makes all of my business decals, cards, and so on. I brought in a couple of Shleby pictures and a Shelby book that shows the stripe very clearly and twenty minutes later it was done.

I just found this and it looks right to me?

post-22352-1250956312_thumb.png

post-22352-1250956312_thumb.png

No regrets...BTW I like being a stealth SGT/SC, no markings ;)

The stealth point is well taken. I live in Southern California so, when someone asks, I tell them it is Southern California Edition. Don't laugh, it has worked so far.

I may be showing my age but, in the 60's, what is now called stealth we called a sleeper. Nothing like the other driver, as you disappear, saying, "What the hell was that?"

Jim

Hey Jim, yeah man I went with the Paxton for the heritage, potential gains, style, and price tag. Paxtons are still sold everywhere. SAI just won't install them.

But, Ken, how are you going to get your car to pass its emissions test without the C.A.R.B. certification sticker? If you can do it, then there is no bar to Paxton; you just won't have it installed by SAI which, if it came down to that, is not a deal breaker.

Jim

I would love nothing more than to send my car to SAI to have a Whipple 400 or 500 installed. Partly to have it in the registry. But financially speaking, this will most likely never happend for me.

I have one child just entering college and one more on the way there in a couple of years. Their future is more important to me for the next few years and they will take up most of our extra cash. I am not sure how long SAI will be installing SC's on these cars in the future. I may run out of time waiting for my kids to get out of college (it could be another 6 years). Heck, at this point in time we can't even change the wheels/tires and brakes.

So with that said...I may end up with a local shop installing an SC for me in the future...

Here is my take on it. I've owned without counting over 10 Mustangs of various breeds since I was 16. Not one was I ever concerned with sell back value and not one was I 100% satisfied with, 'ie' they just like now, needed some mods. Yes if you lived right near Shelby, Saleen, Roush etc it would be optimal to get some mods done there. I do most myself. My current ride I sent it down to Tampa Bay Shelby about 4 hours from me and had the 550 Whipple done. The work was 100% top notch. They are not a Shelby registry shop, but they do old Shelby Cobra restorations and quality work, and I would have to say that is better than SAI or any other car modifier could do, because they are quality, not quantity even if that amount is low for Shelby, Saleen Roush etc. Every car I ever owned was in better shape than when I got it and I sold it for more than KBB. So my modified Shelby GT with all it has, is clean, bad and I could care less about some documentation that says it's official. If you tint the window it's not the same. I make my cars what I want and how I think they should have been and enjoy them in the sunny days, I don't just look at them wondering what they will be worth 30 years from now like some do, I drive them. I was able to look at all the 60s era Shelby's, Dodge cars and all when I was a kid and now it's my turn to drive them for what they were meant to be.

Every car below modded to some extent;

-65 Coupe 200

-67 GT Fastback 390

-67 GT Fastback 289

-68 Coupe 302

-65 2+2 Fastback 289

-89 5.0

-93 5.0

and some

-Best of the best is the current 08 Shelby GT / 550 Whipple

:peelout::peelout::peelout:

But, Ken, how are you going to get your car to pass its emissions test without the C.A.R.B. certification sticker? If you can do it, then there is no bar to Paxton; you just won't have it installed by SAI which, if it came down to that, is not a deal breaker.

Jim

If the local smog shop searches the EO database, they'll find the Paxton as CARB compliant. It's listed in several places on the fed website.

Whether it's accurate info or not, I don't know. In my experience, however, local smog shops haven't been so sophisticated. If it passes the sniffer, it's good to go. Don't count on that being the case in your area. Just my own experience.

As for my car in particular, however, the Paxton isn't my problem. The cams and open exhaust are. By the time smog is due in a few years, this car will be pulled off the street completely anyway and dedicated to track use. :)

Ken

Archived