TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got my car delivered with left front HID headlight out

RRsaleen06

My front left light does not work. I bought the car in Denver, had it delivered on a truck to front door in Los Angeles. Turned on lights the first night I had it, and left front HID did not work. I am not happy that a local dealer has to take off the front bumper to put in a whole new light. Ford should have designed it better, as the 1999-2004 mustangs had 2 long metal pins that pulled right out, and the light popped right out. So easy. I am afraid the dealer will scratch my bumper, or it will not light up properly. Does anyone know if it can be repaired without taking off the bumper? If it is just a bulb can they just go in through the hood. This sucks!

Isn't it possible that something just came loose? Especially since it was delivered all the way from Denver? Have they actually determined that the light is defective?

I'm sorry I really don't know what has to be done to reach the headlight assembly. Hope things get straightened out for you quickly and easily.

Isn't it possible that something just came loose? Especially since it was delivered all the way from Denver? Have they actually determined that the light is defective?

I'm sorry I really don't know what has to be done to reach the headlight assembly. Hope things get straightened out for you quickly and easily.

I agree with BBlue; Are you sure that it is not just a bad/lose connection? HIDs are pretty robust. So much so that I know in Europe the laws for roadside bulb serviceability do not apply to HID equipped lamps. This rational may have been part of the reason why they made the decision for this type of construction, as this type of assembly also leads to improved fit/finish of the Headlamp to Fascia/Fender.

Regards, Ian

When my GT 500 (non HD) was delivered the driver backed it down the ramps and stopped. We did some paperwork and I jumped in for the ride home and drove through a shopping center to a main road, turned right and the left front light bulb went POP and blew. There is still light bulb dust coating the inside of the entire lens. Gotta have the bumper off to replace the bucket assembly. There is also loose glass on the inside of the bucket. The bulb is an easy replacement.

The bumper has to come off, period. The H.I.D. ballast is mounted directly onto the lamp housing, so if it is just a loose connection, you should be able to see that and reconnect the connector from the top without removing the bumper. If the ballast is out (which happens with H.I.D.'s), then the whole lamp assembly will need to be replaced. You state that you live in L.A. If it's not too far for you to travel, I recommend that you take your car over to Galpin Ford and have them do the repair. I have seen them pull a bumper cover off in less than 10 minutes, and they will not cause any damage to the cover in the process.

post-4213-1250835773_thumb.jpg <------ H.I.D. lamp assembly for a 2008 GT500. Even though the 2010 housing is different, the ballast is still mounted onto the lamp housing.

post-4213-1250835939_thumb.jpg <------ Rear of housing showing connector to the H.I.D. capsule (bulb).

Hope this helps.

post-4213-1250835773_thumb.jpg

post-4213-1250835939_thumb.jpg

It sux that the bumper has to come off but it really isn't that big of a job. Look at the threads on how-to replace the heat exchanger. I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Son of GT, great post, and thanks for the info. Yes I am taking it to Galpin. I live in Valencia, as a matter of fact, I met you at the route 66 grill cruise in, in Canyon Country about one month ago. I had my 07 tungsten gray shelby for sale then. Sold it, and got the 10. I am going to look at it this weekend, and see if something is just loose. Hopefully I can just reconnect it. I know taking the bumper off is not that big of a job, but, I prefer it to not be removed for obvious reasons. Thanks for all the imput.

Question for you : Are you able to tell if a HID lamp is "burned out" (for lack of a better term - don't know that applies to HID's) by simply looking at it?

No because H.I.D. capsules are charged gas (like a Plasma TV) and do not have a filaments in them to burn out. H.I.D.'s are great, and I love them to death, but their inherent problem is that they dim ever so slowly over time. Depending on how much they are used, H.I.D. capsules will generally fade out somewhere between 7 to 10 years.

And the capsules and ballasts do not like power spikes either. You may not necessarly blow a ballast or a capsule completely, but power spikes in the circuit will age those components faster than normal. Excessive power spikes could shave 1 to 2 years off the life of those components.

What do I mean by power spikes in this case? Let's say you have installed aftermarket H.I.D. lamps in your car (my 72' Bronco has them), and you stall and restart the car with the headlamp switch in the on position; that's a power spike. The remedy? You should always make it a point to turn off the headlamps before you start or restart the car, and that holds true for jump starting too. Having said that, most/all factory installed H.I.D.'s have built in circuitry that closes that circuit (the lamps go off) if the car is started whenever the lamp switch is either in the on or auto lamp position.

Just one last FYI for those who may not be aware already, but H.I.D. capsules use less power and burn cooler than standard Halogen light bulbs do.

Son of GT, great post, and thanks for the info. Yes I am taking it to Galpin. I live in Valencia, as a matter of fact, I met you at the route 66 grill cruise in, in Canyon Country about one month ago. I had my 07 tungsten gray shelby for sale then. Sold it, and got the 10. I am going to look at it this weekend, and see if something is just loose. Hopefully I can just reconnect it. I know taking the bumper off is not that big of a job, but, I prefer it to not be removed for obvious reasons. Thanks for all the imput.

Yes, I remember meeting you, and it's great to hear from you again! Good luck with your headlamp issue, but don't be concerned, Galpin really knows their stuff about these Mustangs.

In case you don't already have a service writer lined up yet, I highly recommend contacting Nelson Buss. Nelson is quite knowledable about all Shelby's, and I know that he will take care of you and your car with the utmost of professionalism.

Tell Nelson that I sent you to him, and say hello to him for me.

Oh, one last thing. Are you aware of this show? If your able to attend, you should sign up as soon as possible...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...=45695&st=0

It would be great to have a 2010 at the show, and I believe that you would be the only person there with one.

No because H.I.D. capsules are charged gas (like a Plasma TV) and do not have a filaments in them to burn out. H.I.D.'s are great, and I love them to death, but their inherent problem is that they dim every so slowly over time. Depending on how much they are used, H.I.D. capsules will generally fade out somewhere between 7 to 10 years.

And the capsules and ballasts do not like power spikes either. You may not necessarly blow a ballast or a capsule completely, but power spikes in the circuit will age those components faster than normal. Excessive power spikes could shave 1 to 2 years off the life of those components.

What do I mean by power spikes in this case? Let's say you have installed aftermarket H.I.D. lamps in your car (my 72' Bronco has them), and you stall and restart the car with the headlamp switch in the on position; that's a power spike. The remedy? You should always make it a point to turn off the headlamps before you start or restart the car, and that holds true for jump starting too. Having said that, most/all factory installed H.I.D.'s have built in circuitry that closes that circuit (the lamps go off) if the car is started whenever the lamp switch is either in the on or auto lamp position.

Just one last FYI for those who may not be aware already, but H.I.D. capsules use less power and burn cooler than standard Halogen light bulbs do.

Thanks for all the info, Son of GT. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the info, Son of GT. Greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, and it's my pleasure.

Son of GT, thanks, Nelson has taken care of me before. John Fidelabus is taking care of me this time, as he has with my clutch TSB on my 2007. I did not know about the show, and I am interested. I will register. Maybe we could caravan to the show. Let me know. Thanks.

We could caravan, but it would be a short drive. I'm only 5 minutes away from the pier. :hysterical:

Besides, I have to get there before everyone else does, as I volunteered to help with the event set up. But definately sign up quickly and attend, it's a great venue and show.

We could caravan, but it would be a short drive. I'm only 5 minutes away from the pier. :hysterical:

Besides, I have to get there before everyone else does, as I volunteered to help with the event set up. But definately sign up quickly and attend, it's a great venue and show.

Son of GT, I misunderstood, I thought you lived in the Santa Clarita area. I will see you at the show. Thanks.

Archived