TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I could have cried when I saw my car today!!

Joe Frito

After a year of fighting with the install shop that put 3M protection on the front end of my car, I received resolution directly from 3M to replace sub quality film. I was able to take my car into another shop that uses 3M and he recommened it be replaced immediately after seeing my car. Great news right? Well I took the car in today to have the film replaced and received a call about an hour later that part of one hood stripe lifted and tore when they removed the old 3M film from the car. I went down to look at it and while I was pissed, I could tell that the owner (who was the person working on my car) truely felt bad.

Here is my question for everyone. These stripes are really expensive, and the shop will be ordering factory replacements. With the damage only being on one stripe, would you still insist that both be replaced or just the damaged one. I would think that there could be a noticable difference between putting a new stripe beside one that has 18 months in the elements (especially on the hood), but on the other hand do I really want to take the risk that they will be perfectly positioned and aligned if both are replaced. I would appreciate your comments on what you think I should do.

Buy two, replace one and see if they look the same. If not replace the second one. If you are OK with the way it looks then return it.

It's actually the shop the is replacing the 3M that is on the hook for the stripe, so they are not too excited aboout spending an extra $300 on a stripe that doesn't need to be replaced. I would think that the new stripe will look close to the existing one after a couple of washes, but I wanted to get some opinions from other members.

Sorry 2 hear. This crowd is a bunch of articulate perfectionists :) so u will get the 2 stripe recommendation but I think the idea Mrfarmdog is worth a try. Good luck 2 u. Mine is lifting a tiny bit on the rear fascia under the license plate (not 2 mention my hood scoop stripes r wrinkled in 5 or 6 places. Someday I will probably get them painted on.

After a year of fighting with the install shop that put 3M protection on the front end of my car, I received resolution directly from 3M to replace sub quality film. I was able to take my car into another shop that uses 3M and he recommened it be replaced immediately after seeing my car. Great news right? Well I took the car in today to have the film replaced and received a call about an hour later that part of one hood stripe lifted and tore when they removed the old 3M film from the car. I went down to look at it and while I was pissed, I could tell that the owner (who was the person working on my car) truely felt bad.

Here is my question for everyone. These stripes are really expensive, and the shop will be ordering factory replacements. With the damage only being on one stripe, would you still insist that both be replaced or just the damaged one. I would think that there could be a noticable difference between putting a new stripe beside one that has 18 months in the elements (especially on the hood), but on the other hand do I really want to take the risk that they will be perfectly positioned and aligned if both are replaced. I would appreciate your comments on what you think I should do.

Not to be an ars, I would have made you pay for the stripes your self or at least had you sign a note stating that I'm not responsible for such . The fellow who is installing the 3m film is not at fault here ,he is removing something you had installed somewhere else which is an adhesive based product over top of another sticker. I guess be glad he is willing to eat one stripe. I would not think he will be so about the other. JMHO

Couple things, one is the stripe install is a bear on a stock hood, the power buldges present some issues, and I am told the stripe has to be "molded" around the buldge to get it right, some shops use heat

to make this happen, in the end I had mine painted on, and based on many other comments about, chip here peel there, am very happy I did.

Also if you get a bumper nick in the near future, the film will have to be removed for the body work, with likely the risk of the same issue.

The other if considering an option of painting the stripes in the future, there will be some work to remove the new 3M, adding to your cost.

Just some of the thought process I went thru before I had mine painted on.. sorry to hear that you tried to protect you car and had an unfortunate issue, good luck and keep us posted,

Phil

Couple things, one is the stripe install is a bear on a stock hood, the power buldges present some issues, and I am told the stripe has to be "molded" around the buldge to get it right, some shops use heat to make this happen,

A cute girl put the stripes on my car!! Her hands steadily sliding the stripes in place over the power buldges...

:lurk:

It's actually the shop the is replacing the 3M that is on the hook for the stripe, so they are not too excited aboout spending an extra $300 on a stripe that doesn't need to be replaced. I would think that the new stripe will look close to the existing one after a couple of washes, but I wanted to get some opinions from other members.

It seems like 3M would have to cover the cost. They have already admitted the original material was bad so I don't see how they are not liable for any damage that may occur from removal. That being said, I would also order both and see how they match your remaining existing stripe.

UPDATE - I ordered both stripes (shop paying for one, me the other) and had the damaged one replaced today. The installer did an outstanding job getting it right, but there was a quality issue with it that we noticed after it was installed. There is a noticable difference in color from the existing stripes, and it amost looks like there is a blue tint to the stripe (looks like a really dark purple). The defect is there are some small blue (almost grabber in color) dots in a few ares of the stripe that are underneath the clear of the stripe. Does anyone know what the base color of the vinyl is before the color is added?

The second thing I noticed is the new stripe almost looked like a satin finish versus the other stripe which is shiny, but the installer said that the stripes are fairly porous when new and will change in appearance and contract and tighten up with heat from the sun. He applied heat to a piece of black vinyl that he had in the shop and you could notice a difference in appearance. Can anyone who has installed new factory stripes confirm the same thing?

THe new stripe is being removed and sent back due to the defect, and he will be installing both new stripes tomorrow. Hopefully no other issues and both new stripes are a close match.

I have my factory stripes still but if ever an issue with my 3-m or stripes I will paint them on and be done with it. Whenever the vinal comes off the whole car gets them painted on. (one note I should mention is that I can do it my self )

Archived