TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Service Contracts - Five Oh B - any recommendations?

owenkelley

I was curious if anybody purchased Extended Service Contracts for their GT500. I am planning on buying one for mine that will extend the number of years that it will be covered, but I don't plan on putting a whole bunch of miles on the car, so I'm thinking along the lines of a 6 year 36,000 mile Service Contract with the high tech coverage. I used to sell them when I was in the retail car business a few years back and I am convinced of their value, but I haven't checked to see what is available for them yet. Maybe Five Oh B can give us a lttle info?

I was curious if anybody purchased Extended Service Contracts for their GT500. I am planning on buying one for mine that will extend the number of years that it will be covered, but I don't plan on putting a whole bunch of miles on the car, so I'm thinking along the lines of a 6 year 36,000 mile Service Contract with the high tech coverage. I used to sell them when I was in the retail car business a few years back and I am convinced of their value, but I haven't checked to see what is available for them yet. Maybe Five Oh B can give us a lttle info?

There are several competent warranty companys out there. Based on the information you have provided I would go with the Ford ESP plan .. premium care.

In the state of Florida its regulated ... and they offer a 6yr/360000 at a very reasonable price.Lastly .. if your in the state of florida ... would love to earn your business ! :hyper:

I work for a Ford store.

don d

why are you considering another when the Shelby comes factory with a 5yr 60k mile warranty? (powertrain)

3yr 36k bumper to bumper and a loaner car

I purchased the Premium Care policy which extends the warranty out to seven years. Not that I thoroughly understand the policy but with that much horse power and all the gizmos under that hood, it's a low cost insurance policy for years six and seven. I paid $1635 for the policy, didn't have to pay an ADM. I did the same for a Lexus LS400 I bought in '95 and sure enough in year seven the car had a few emission control module problems--- they were covered by the extended policy. Just my opinion.

I purchased the Premium Care policy which extends the warranty out to seven years. Not that I thoroughly understand the policy but with that much horse power and all the gizmos under that hood, it's a low cost insurance policy for years six and seven. I paid $1635 for the policy, didn't have to pay an ADM. I did the same for a Lexus LS400 I bought in '95 and sure enough in year seven the car had a few emission control module problems--- they were covered by the extended policy. Just my opinion.

+1 - I agree. The drive train is automatically covered for 5 years and 60,000 miles. Everything else only has coverage for 3 years/36,000 miles. With a high performance car like this you can't go wrong...theres a lot of technology in this car and we are basically getting the same coverage as if we had a Taurus...even though they stopped making them. Go for it...you won't be sorry!

+1 - I agree. The drive train is automatically covered for 5 years and 60,000 miles. Everything else only has coverage for 3 years/36,000 miles. With a high performance car like this you can't go wrong...theres a lot of technology in this car and we are basically getting the same coverage as if we had a Taurus...even though they stopped making them. Go for it...you won't be sorry!

Your two warranty options are: A Ford ESP plan that will be worthless at the first sign of major trouble just like the factory warranty, they will blame ANY mod to the car as the reason for the failur and force you into litigation for any coverage. Oh sure they will cover the ac and a window motor if you can stomach having the local high school dropout working on your car....but major component coverage is as useless on this car as the factory warranty. Ford has proven this time and time again. Go spend some time in the Lightning forums or the 04 cobra forums...

Your other option is a much more direct route. Buy an aftermarket warranty and the company will file bankruptcy in some carribiean island long before you will need any major claims paid. Your money will be well invested into the Warranty company's owner retirement plan.....

Forget the extended warranties, they are a profit scam for the seller from the word go. Put your money away and save for a rainy day. If it comes, take the car to a competent mechaninc that has been working on your cars for years at the same service outlet and has far better knowledge of the systems than any of Ford's 'Techs' Ford simply will not pay what it takes to hire and keep competent help for warranty service.

Your two warranty options are: A Ford ESP plan that will be worthless at the first sign of major trouble just like the factory warranty, they will blame ANY mod to the car as the reason for the failur and force you into litigation for any coverage. Oh sure they will cover the ac and a window motor if you can stomach having the local high school dropout working on your car....but major component coverage is as useless on this car as the factory warranty. Ford has proven this time and time again. Go spend some time in the Lightning forums or the 04 cobra forums...

Your other option is a much more direct route. Buy an aftermarket warranty and the company will file bankruptcy in some carribiean island long before you will need any major claims paid. Your money will be well invested into the Warranty company's owner retirement plan.....

Forget the extended warranties, they are a profit scam for the seller from the word go. Put your money away and save for a rainy day. If it comes, take the car to a competent mechaninc that has been working on your cars for years at the same service outlet and has far better knowledge of the systems than any of Ford's 'Techs' Ford simply will not pay what it takes to hire and keep competent help for warranty service.

Unless you put a pulley on your car or come in with drag radials i totally disagree. Based on my 11 years with ford thats just not true. Ford will stand by their product.

Understand, the service department doesnt make any money if they cant get your claim approved. Thats why on my shelby car I will never put anything on the car that could jeoperdize the factory warranty ... ie a pulley or different blower .. etc.

Ford isnt in the business to arbitarily turn down claims.

dond

Unless you put a pulley on your car or come in with drag radials i totally disagree. Based on my 11 years with ford thats just not true. Ford will stand by their product.

Understand, the service department doesnt make any money if they cant get your claim approved. Thats why on my shelby car I will never put anything on the car that could jeoperdize the factory warranty ... ie a pulley or different blower .. etc.

Ford isnt in the business to arbitarily turn down claims.

dond

Here is another spin on this for the dealers. What about the guy who has a tune in the car. When he goes to bring it in is that a warranty breaker or does the stock tune need to be reinstalled.

I am with you Don on the upgrades but to gain like 60hp by a tune would be very nice.

why are you considering another when the Shelby comes factory with a 5yr 60k mile warranty? (powertrain)

3yr 36k bumper to bumper and a loaner car

Because I know I'm going to keep this car for much longer than three years. I want to be able to take it to a Ford Dealership if I'm travelling and have problems. The Premium coverage used to cover sound equipment and almost everything covered under the bumper to bumper warranty except wear items, I'm assuming that is still true. 3 years coverage is not enough for me.

I disagree with your statement. Having worked at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership for ten years I saw the Service Contracts save people a ton of money, and I saw some people buy them and never have to use them. They are insurance, and I'd rather have it than not. I would not personally choose an after-market company, especially for a car like the GT500. It sounds like you had a bad experience with Ford Warranty in the past, but that was probably an issue with the dealership rather than Ford Corporation.

My wife and I both work at a Ford dealership. She and I buy genuine Ford PremiumCare ESP's for our cars. If you change your mind later or sell the car, you can get a pro-rated refund back in your pocket. When my friends and families buy cars (here or elsewhere) I always encourage them to buy the manufacturers' sponsered extended warranties, too. Why? I've had way too many customer benefit from them, with only a few tell me that they felt that they wasted their money. My wife and I have had very good experiences with the Ford ESP's. As long as you buy the plan within the first year, the price is still the same as new. After the first year has elapsed, Ford charges a $100 surcharge. And, prices vary from dealer to dealer, so shop around to find a fair dealer. You do NOT have to buy the warranty from the same dealer you bought the vehicle from.

Modded cars are protected by the Moss Magnuson Act. Do a google search for details. Essentially, you cannot be denied warranty coverage unless there is a clear cause/effect relationship between a modification and a failure.

I raced and modded my 2003 Mach 1 openly and blatently and our service department knew it. I had a half dozen different types of repairs done under warranty as they were in no way related to mods or racing. You have to use common sense, though. Have your GT500 towed into service with drag radials or slicks on the car with a broken axle or ring gear, and you'll be paying the bill. Even if you remember to put the factory tires back on, but don't clean the shoe polish off your windows from your dial-in #'s, or have burnt/sprayed tire rubber melted in your wheel wells, you're paying the bill. Be a grown up and take responsibility for your actions: if you break it, pay for the repair. If it is a legitimate claim, then Ford will pay for the repair. It's that simple.

Click here for details on Ford ESP's straight from the source.

Here is another spin on this for the dealers. What about the guy who has a tune in the car. When he goes to bring it in is that a warranty breaker or does the stock tune need to be reinstalled.

I am with you Don on the upgrades but to gain like 60hp by a tune would be very nice.

I personally dont have issues in a factory tune and CAI ... which is about where my HP mods will stop.

The CAI itself shouldnt create any issues at all ... and the tune can be reprogrammed to stock if u are having a drive train or engine issue.

i dont think 600 hp should be a issue for these motors or the drive line train

dond

I personally dont have issues in a factory tune and CAI ... which is about where my HP mods will stop.

The CAI itself shouldnt create any issues at all ... and the tune can be reprogrammed to stock if u are having a drive train or engine issue.

i dont think 600 hp should be a issue for these motors or the drive line train

dond

What you 'think' and what Ford will use to deny payment of your claim are very different. A tune and CAI, even one from Ford Racing and installed by your dealer, give Ford all the ammo they need to deny ANY powertrain warranty claim. The higher the bill, the more likely they are to deny. Heck they have denied major claims like engine failures for nothing more than a K&N filter.

You folks are right, does not VOID the warranty, just gives them the out they need. Moss warranty act is useless for aftermarket mods and equally useless when arguing in a service department. A judge may someday listen but will cost you big bucks to ever get that far and Ford knows it.

As I said before, minor claims will be paid and even a few major ones until Ford clamps down. And they will when the costs go up. Have in the past on other vehicles. The dealer looses money on every warranty claim and Ford reviews each major claim before authorized. Do you really think they cannot tell you had a tune and CAI installed? If they even suspect they will claim you did. ANY mod that adds HP or changes the factory tune negates the warranty for that part and any other part it effects.

Heck even the new Shelby GT comes with an already voided powertrain warranty and a Shelby supplied replacement coverage. The new owner must sign a statement agreeing to that and understanding the car has already been modified before delivery. Ford is covering thier bases. Do what you will with your money, I only posted here to get folks considering the ext warranties to think about these things and what they plan to do with the car before purchasing.

Just my 2-cents worth, but I've always passed on the extended warranty as I take such good care of my vehicles that they haven't been needed 90% of the time. I know sometimes they are worth it, but I've done ok without them.

CC

I make sure to take great care of my cars and my wife's car, too, but her car recently had the instrument panel electronics fail, but is was covered under the Ford PremiumCare ESP we purchased for her rig. What can you possibly do to prevent something like that failure? It's not a maintenance item. That one single repair almost justified the entire expense of her ESP, and I'm sure that by the end of the 75K mile coverage something else will likely come up.

I used to sell cars at our dealership back in 1999 and 2000. I sold one particular couple several cars during that time. All new except one used Mercury Grand Marquis. They bought a Ford PremiumCare ESP for peace of mind on this used car. Saw them in our service department a year later. ABS module & some related hardware had gone bad (again, not a maintenance item, so it doesn't matter how good you take care of the car - that piece is not maintainable). The repair bill for parts & labor was well over $3,000, but all covered by the ESP they purchased for just a small fraction of that price.

Most of Fords have been bullet-proof, and I don't always end up getting any use out of some of them, but the times I have used them have more than made up for the cars that didn't need them. Of course, I'm the kind of guy that likes peace of mind, so I have good medical and life insurance, and a lot of coverage from Aflac. I likely spend a lot more for insurances and warranties than the average person, but feel better knowing I'm covered for most catastropies.

jcthorne, I know there are plenty of cases of dealer service departments denying warranty coverage, but there are just as many cases of dealer service departments bending over backwards to get claims approved - even under questionable circumstances. A good shop can tell whether a modification really had any legitimate affect on another component. If you go to a shop that seems really unreasonable or is lacking common sense on the application of the Moss Magnuson Act, then take your car elsewhere for a second opinion.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 10 2006, 01:59 PM) 72771[/snapback]

jcthorne, I know there are plenty of cases of dealer service departments denying warranty coverage, but there are just as many cases of dealer service departments bending over backwards to get claims approved - even under questionable circumstances. A good shop can tell whether a modification really had any legitimate affect on another component. If you go to a shop that seems really unreasonable or is lacking common sense on the application of the Moss Magnuson Act, then take your car elsewhere for a second opinion.

That dealer does not exist in Houston. Been to most all of them. The reality is that a good competent mechanic can make far more money and have better working conditions, benifits and stability working for an independent in this town than at a Ford dealer. This causes the dealers to go to great lengths to avoid warranty work. Heck, I had great difficulty getting a valid TSB for squeeling accessory drive belt on my Superduty done. Took 3 dealers and a zone rep appointment twice to finally get it approved. Guess what, problem was solved just like the TSB indicated but they refused because they 'could not replicate the problem' Problem was, they refused to try, only happend under load on very hot days. They refused to drive the truck with a loaded trailer attached on a 100deg day even though I actually volunteered to bring the truck by so loaded. It was just excuses to avoid doing 20+ hours of work at rates lower than what labor and overhead cost here.

I am glad you have had good experience with a dealer service department. I have had a few in small towns when traveling but never in Houston. If the claim is minor, I will PAY my mechanic to do what ford should be doing for FREE just to avoid the dealership hassels and additional damage that always comes with it. Yes, I am negative but Ford earned this over many years of thier own doing.

I truly cringe at the thought of taking my new GT500 to any of the local dealers for a repair. Expecially as I could not buy it in Houston. I did try. 25kADM is not a valid offer.

I will leave it there. Was just trying to present the other side of the coin so folks will think before plunking down thousands of $$ on an insurance policy that is more than 50% sales profit.

Just my 2-cents worth, but I've always passed on the extended warranty as I take such good care of my vehicles that they haven't been needed 90% of the time. I know sometimes they are worth it, but I've done ok without them.

CC

CC, I don't understand. What does taking care of your car have to do with the warranty? The warranty is to cover defects in materials and workmanship...how can taking care of your car help that?

Dave

I Like Fords and have owned several. My personal experience with them is that the electronics are prone to problems after a few years (electric door locks, power mirrors, etc.). We purchased one of these for our Expedition and it has paid for itself in repairs hands down. I will most likely get one for my GT500 (if I ever get one).

CC, I don't understand. What does taking care of your car have to do with the warranty? The warranty is to cover defects in materials and workmanship...how can taking care of your car help that?

Dave

Well, obviously some cars are lemons and it doesn't matter how well they have been taken care of, and some components like electronics have failures not related to maintanance (as Five Oh B pointed out) so I understand the reasons why some would opt for an extended warranty. On the other hand, in my experience good care has resulted in good reliablity hence I haven't needed an extended warranty. Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe it's KARma?

CC

Was just trying to present the other side of the coin so folks will think before plunking down thousands of $$ on an insurance policy that is more than 50% sales profit.

Ford has a suggested MSRP for ESP's, just like they do for new vehicle prices. ESP pricing is very negotiable and you do NOT have to buy your ESP from the same dealer you bought your vehicle from. Shop around.

On a side note, I've only been in the car biz since 1999, but have been a car consumer since 1982. I've owned 6 Mustangs, 3 Thunderbirds, 2 Windstars, 1 Escape, and a bunch of non-Fords. I've had service work done at most of the local Seattle/Tacoma Ford dealers and always had very good experiences. Never denied service - warranty or self-pay. Only sour note was in 1989 right after I purchased a brand new 1989 Mustang 5.0L LX. Took it back to the dealer I bought it from after 2 months and asked their service department about replacing the 2.73 rear end gears with 3.73's. They refused to modify a brand new car. I guess that's their call, but how hard can a ring and pinion swap be? Plus, it would have been full shop rate.

Ford's quality has improved dramatically over the last few years. So much so, that our technicians aren't nearly as busy as the good ol' bad quality days. Our techs are more than happy to do any job - warranty or otherwise - as they need to make a living. We attract and retain high quality techs, and have super low turnover. You know what pays worse than warranty? Employees! But, as an employee, I still always take my cars to our shop as they do great work even at the reduced employee rate. Just had our shop install 4.10 gears in my 2007 Mustang GT a few weeks ago. They installed 4.30's in my 2003 Mach 1 and 4.10's in my '93 Thunderbird 5.0L. I wouldn't have anyone else touch my cars.

I've just been lucky, maybe it's KARma?

CC

Confuscious say....

"Don't let your karma run over your dogma" :hysterical2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 11 2006, 04:05 PM) 73204[/snapback]

I wouldn't have anyone else touch my cars.

Great post Mr. Hawaii Five Oh.

It's not surprising that some people have lousy experiences and some have great ones. People have different personalities and expectations. I know people who have cancer and every time I see them they are smiling. On the other hand, I know people who drink a 12 pack every weekend, then complain that their stomach (or their head) hurts the next day. :rolleyes:

It's all about attitude. Is your glass half full? Half empty? Or...are you satisfied that you even have a glass. :happy feet:

Dave

Archived