TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Going Rates - Long term investment?

My search didn't come up with any relative, by that I mean recent, info on the value of the GT-H verts. It could be that the info is out is out there but user couldn't find, so this post may open a new or old can of worms. I have sent some PM's an emails out to a few members, but this would be my first post, so sorry for the engaging topic out of the gate. Hi, my name is Mike and I drink and...ooh, sorry wrong sharing session.

Short of it is, I'm kicking tires on 2007 GT-H and GT500 verts. This topic solely about the GT-H and why I can't seem to steer away from the thought of spending the same money on an aguably less optioned version of the same basic car with not only more but harder miles on the odo when comparing examples of similar condition.

I also struggle with the belief that there is still a significant ROI risk with the GT-H. Not to be the newbie black sheep, but I would guess that if there wasn't the "investment" metric on the part of the current owners we would probably see several modified versions. Fact is that it's not that difficult or expensive to drop in a T-56 and if there is any car that deserves to be driven with a manual it is a Shelby and let's face it, even GT500 owners can't resist adding more power. Not that I would count on a late model car a an investment, but it would be nice to loose less and that in itself is satifaction. I do empathize for the GT500 owners who bought them new in early '07 before Ford release their production plans, but then again maybe these are the next '70 B2, which may be more comparable in the long run than we think.

That said, I have found a prime example of the GT-H for sale. Good news it's a damn near showroom new car with 1,500 on the ticker, bad news is I want a car I can drive and can get a GT500 vert for the same price. So you are all smart, you know what this car can be had for, is it worth it or in years down the road it won't really matter if I spend the extra $ buy one today with 1,500 miles or hold out and spend much less for one with 15,000 miles on it?

mfield2a, Welcome to the Team Shelby forums.

From what you posted my suggestion to you is to purchase a higher mileage 2007 GTH in the $25k range. You should be able to get one with under 36k miles so that you'll have a last chance at any warranty repairs before the 3/36 factory warranty expires.

I would then mod the car as you see fit with the suggestion of saving any removed parts just in case.

My opinion is that too many of these cars have been put away already so why not enjoy the car now and let others gamble on using these cars as investments.

Steve

Hi there mfield 2a.

I think I know which car you are talking about. The dealer has it listed for $49,900 on their website. Anyway, if it's the same one I am thinking about I talked to the dealer ship about 9 months back. I wound up buying a 07 GT-H manual instead. I think you should completely forget about the "return on investment" question and just buy the Vert you really want. You see I have an 08 GT500 to compare against the GT-H and they both have great qualities, BUT, ask your self, do you want the horse power of the GT500 or do you want something a little rarer like the GT-H.

Both cars are great. I think you can't go wrong with either.

QSS

If it's the potato farmers then it the same car. I have harrased the agent and they are willing to come down to a more reasonable price. Probelm is I will hate the auto tranny, which is why I posed the ROI question. Good investing goes a long way, I think that is why owners acualy like their GNX's. Manual GT-H verts are not exactly falling off trees, but if one came about I would consider over a GT500 in a heart beat. If nothing comes up I may go the GT500, but first I will have a talk with Shelby Auto's to see what their interst would be on registering a GT-H/SR with a period correct tranny. You can't push these things, but I'm looking to have the empty slot filled in the garage by next spring.

If it's the potato farmers then it the same car. I have harrased the agent and they are willing to come down to a more reasonable price. Probelm is I will hate the auto tranny, which is why I posed the ROI question. Good investing goes a long way, I think that is why owners acualy like their GNX's. Manual GT-H verts are not exactly falling off trees, but if one came about I would consider over a GT500 in a heart beat. If nothing comes up I may go the GT500, but first I will have a talk with Shelby Auto's to see what their interst would be on registering a GT-H/SR with a period correct tranny. You can't push these things, but I'm looking to have the empty slot filled in the garage by next spring.

buy them both :)

Look at it this way - how much would you be dropping for a GT500 convertible? If you are looking for a drop top, be realistic about what the true comparison costs are. If you are looking for the extra 100 - 200 horsepower, then there is no question - go with the GT500.

As for ROI (and I admit, I don't own a GT500), I seriously doubt that a GT500 will be an "investment" because of the high production volume. Even if you get a GT-H and put some miles on it, one would think the exclusivity would mean something down the road. And in the meantime, you have a car that is extremely rare. Of the 500 built, figure a dozen or so were probably totalled and many more are sitting in vacuum sealed garages someplace. I can count on two fingers how many I've seen on the road since they were sold to private buyers (other than my 06 GT-H, I've only seen two of those, too).

Good luck either way. You are basically picking your favorite slice of pizza, and there are no bad choices.

My search didn't come up with any relative, by that I mean recent, info on the value of the GT-H verts. It could be that the info is out is out there but user couldn't find, so this post may open a new or old can of worms. I have sent some PM's an emails out to a few members, but this would be my first post, so sorry for the engaging topic out of the gate. Hi, my name is Mike and I drink and...ooh, sorry wrong sharing session.

Short of it is, I'm kicking tires on 2007 GT-H and GT500 verts. This topic solely about the GT-H and why I can't seem to steer away from the thought of spending the same money on an aguably less optioned version of the same basic car with not only more but harder miles on the odo when comparing examples of similar condition.

I also struggle with the belief that there is still a significant ROI risk with the GT-H. Not to be the newbie black sheep, but I would guess that if there wasn't the "investment" metric on the part of the current owners we would probably see several modified versions. Fact is that it's not that difficult or expensive to drop in a T-56 and if there is any car that deserves to be driven with a manual it is a Shelby and let's face it, even GT500 owners can't resist adding more power. Not that I would count on a late model car a an investment, but it would be nice to loose less and that in itself is satifaction. I do empathize for the GT500 owners who bought them new in early '07 before Ford release their production plans, but then again maybe these are the next '70 B2, which may be more comparable in the long run than we think.

That said, I have found a prime example of the GT-H for sale. Good news it's a damn near showroom new car with 1,500 on the ticker, bad news is I want a car I can drive and can get a GT500 vert for the same price. So you are all smart, you know what this car can be had for, is it worth it or in years down the road it won't really matter if I spend the extra $ buy one today with 1,500 miles or hold out and spend much less for one with 15,000 miles on it?

I struggled with the same thoughts you're having. I bought a 2006 GTH coupe that was car number 007 with less than 12,000 miles. I wanted a car to drive, not let set in my garage. Being from the old school of thinking, I couldn't force myself to put a lot of miles on such a low numbered car. So I sold that car and bought a new 2007 SGT in April 2008. I did a lot of homework, mainly following Ebay auctions, and got both cars when the market bottomed out. I bought the 2007 NEW for $33,600. My thoughts on your decision would be to let the low mileage car go to a collector, and buy one of the higher mileage GTH convertibles, and have fun. I now have 13,000 miles on my SGT and drive it everyday, including vacations, and never think about miles or modifications. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, did you make any decisions? Do you pick one up?

QSS

Well, did you make any decisions? Do you pick one up?

QSS

if you are buying a GT H with 1500 miles it means it must not have been put into rentel service which makes it all more valuable then the other 490 plus that were beat to death in rental service. My 86 buick grand national has only in the last 2 years started going up in value. Keep that in mind.

if you are buying a GT H with 1500 miles it means it must not have been put into rentel service which makes it all more valuable then the other 490 plus that were beat to death in rental service. My 86 buick grand national has only in the last 2 years started going up in value. Keep that in mind.

Shelbyite

As a previous 86 GN owner I can say that nice GN's have been selling for above MSRP for many years now. In fact its the only NEW car I 've ever purchased that has gone up in value.

I suspect there are enough Hertz cars put away with less than 1500 miles that will be more than enough for the collector auctions down the road but I do agree that one with 1500 miles has more value than one with 15,000 miles. How much more value? Thats up to the buyer to decide.

Steve

Shelbyite

As a previous 86 GN owner I can say that nice GN's have been selling for above MSRP for many years now. In fact its the only NEW car I 've ever purchased that has gone up in value.

I suspect there are enough Hertz cars put away with less than 1500 miles that will be more than enough for the collector auctions down the road but I do agree that one with 1500 miles has more value than one with 15,000 miles. How much more value? Thats up to the buyer to decide.

Steve

I have to agree with you on this Steve. Why speculate on the future value of these cars, life is way too short to worry about the dollar value of these cool cars, drive it and enjoy it. My 07 had 777 miles on her when I picked her up this spring and I plan on putting 1000 miles or so per year on her. THEN, in 20 or 30 years, IF (and thats a BIG "if") I want a museaum piece, my plan is to buy one of the wrapper GT-H's that come up for sale, that way I don't have to deal with storage and "Driving Envy" that comes with storing a cool car. Kinda like having a super model wife and not wanting to give her wrinkles from "USE". :D

But you know, my tastes may have changed and in 2028 I will be buying the 60th anniversary electric GT5000 that comes with 1540HP and a built in "pee bag" for my old arse bladder. That probably would be a factory option but I probably would go for it, you know, just in case.

QSS

Buy it drive it. The way things are going we all may not be able to drive tommorrow. Not nitpicking. Look back at other so called investments we all have or had. Comic books as a kids, don't touch or read, cars, don't drive just look, or whatever. When the time comes if ever, we/you may not even reap the benefit. For me the investment from the on lookers or people that ask me everyday, wow what it that can I see it, plus the enjoyement of driving my cars, far surpasses anything thay MAY happen in the future.

Find it, buy it, drive it. Never look back. :shift:

Shoot if I would have put my cars on a shelf or hid them away instead of having a blast driving them, what memories would I have? None. Memories are all you truly get to keep in this life.

Food for thought- I just recently bought a super clean 2003 Larson 215 Escape deckboat. I mean immaculate. 18 hours on the engine. Never in the sun, or stored outside. Worth now about 28K. The owner bought new at 48K in 03. I paid him 13K cash. First thing he said is he wished he used the boat more , how much his family they had every trip. He didn't want to sun fade it or get it dirty. Who lost out?

My 2 cents. Good Luck.

• 3 months later...

Buy it drive it. The way things are going we all may not be able to drive tommorrow. Not nitpicking. Look back at other so called investments we all have or had. Comic books as a kids, don't touch or read, cars, don't drive just look, or whatever. When the time comes if ever, we/you may not even reap the benefit. For me the investment from the on lookers or people that ask me everyday, wow what it that can I see it, plus the enjoyement of driving my cars, far surpasses anything thay MAY happen in the future.

Find it, buy it, drive it. Never look back. :shift:

Shoot if I would have put my cars on a shelf or hid them away instead of having a blast driving them, what memories would I have? None. Memories are all you truly get to keep in this life.

Food for thought- I just recently bought a super clean 2003 Larson 215 Escape deckboat. I mean immaculate. 18 hours on the engine. Never in the sun, or stored outside. Worth now about 28K. The owner bought new at 48K in 03. I paid him 13K cash. First thing he said is he wished he used the boat more , how much his family they had every trip. He didn't want to sun fade it or get it dirty. Who lost out?

My 2 cents. Good Luck.

I bought #412 with 42000 on it and spent $2000 on making it Perfect Mechanically and cosmetically-at the local Ford Garage-it draws attention beyond belief cant stop anyplace without Questions and Admiration,I know i spent to much for it but it is only one of a kind and one of 500 made and have never seen another one in Central Wisconsin next spring i will replace the Performance tires with all weather tires so i can drive it most of the year-I just feel bad looking at it in the garage all covered.

I didnt purchase it for an investment.

I just picked up a GT H and will be driving it every nice, non rainy day. I got a good deal on it and am happy that there is not one at every street corner. Drive them often but care for them and the cars will appreciate in value.

I bought #412 with 42000 on it and spent $2000 on making it Perfect Mechanically and cosmetically-at the local Ford Garage-it draws attention beyond belief cant stop anyplace without Questions and Admiration,I know i spent to much for it but it is only one of a kind and one of 500 made and have never seen another one in Central Wisconsin next spring i will replace the Performance tires with all weather tires so i can drive it most of the year-I just feel bad looking at it in the garage all covered.

I didnt purchase it for an investment.

RIGHT ON, right on! I like you guys, your both very smart.

QSS

RIGHT ON, right on! I like you guys, your both very smart.

QSS

I bought one that was not a museum piece. 26,000 miles. Straight from the dealer that bought it at auction. Great price. I drive it every day in Chicago - snow, salt, rain and sun. I have snow tires on it. I figure it is more fun to drive than look at in the garage. Besides I already have a 66 mustang convertible, 68 GT/CS California Special and 36 Ford traditional hot rod that just sit in the garage over the winter. The Shelby is my daily driver to work in Chicago traffic - I love it. Getting one with extra miles on it brought the price down and I dont feel guilty driving it a bit. I love it! Casey

I bought one that was not a museum piece. 26,000 miles. Straight from the dealer that bought it at auction. Great price. I drive it every day in Chicago - snow, salt, rain and sun. I have snow tires on it. I figure it is more fun to drive than look at in the garage. Besides I already have a 66 mustang convertible, 68 GT/CS California Special and 36 Ford traditional hot rod that just sit in the garage over the winter. The Shelby is my daily driver to work in Chicago traffic - I love it. Getting one with extra miles on it brought the price down and I dont feel guilty driving it a bit. I love it! Casey

What brand of tire did you get?

Thanks for the info Don

Can you come on out to Grayslake area I could RELALY use a driving fix!

:shift:

I have to say, you and your snow tires may very well make you the coolest Shelby driver on this forum. And I can speak from my "Canadian snow tire drivin" expertise.

QSS

Thanks! That is the main reason I bought one with higher mileage - I dont have to treat it like a museum piece. And it was a lot cheaper. Now I get a real head turner year round.

One thing I did learn when I moved to Chicago - advice from another car buff. Wash your car (undercarriage drive through washes work great) once a week in the winter whether they need it or not. This cuts down on rust. I have done it now for 10 years and can atest that it works. I have been seen driving through the local "Car Bath" in the middle of a snow storm and may look silly, but the once a week rule applies no matter what the conditions are (of course everyone washes their car when the sun is out.....but that is not the point of this reasoning). It works for those of use all-season drivers!

Casey

Archived