TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 SGT Purchased Out of State and Shipped

Glenn Greenwell

I'm depending on those of you who have purchased or ordered and taken delivery of your SGTs over the past year to give me a heads up on what to look for upon delivery. My SGT-BJ Convertable ships from Chandler, AZ to Texarkana, AR this week and the dealer has pulled the car off the lot and have it in a secure building.

I asked the salesman to test drive the car and give it a full detail prior to shipment including making sure the engine compartment was free of all the AZ dust. In looking at the DORA it appears the car was on the ground for about 500 days prior to sale with 185 miles on it.

I am depending on prior owners who have had theirs for awhile to help me with any issues the cars will have. I hate to even mention, the hoop scoop issue, the stripe problems, and hood pins, but that seems to be what many had issues with.

I took a giant leap of faith in buying a car uninspected and depending on a salesman to ensure everything is right. My 05 GT went three years with just over 21,000 miles with not even a trip for service, so needless to say I am a little concerned about delivery issues and would the dealer have performed any updates, recalls, etc. prior to shipping.

Did the 08SGT seem to resolve any of the issues with the early production black and white SGTs. This is asking alot, but there is a great deal of owner knowledge on this forum and I would like to tap into it.

Also, how do I obtain production information about how many cars in 08 were produced and your thoughts on how helpful Shelby would be in replying to e-mail requests for info. If I missed this in the search option on the forum, just point me to the thread.

Thanks in advance for your help/assistance....... GG

Also, how do I obtain production information about how many cars in 08 were produced and your thoughts on how helpful Shelby would be in replying to e-mail requests for info. If I missed this in the search option on the forum, just point me to the thread.

Email Bud at budm@shelbyautos.com for this info. He's awesome and will get to you asap with all the detail you'd ever want.

Other than stripes and scoop, you shouldn't have any issues hopefully. Congrats on the new SGT!

Ken

If the car is coming via covered transport (which I would hope it is) then chances are other than the normal issues, I would ensure the transport company secured the car correctly on the trailer, get up there as soon as it arrives and inspect. I had a car transported and they wrapped the axle instead of the tiedowns.

Also ensure the securing points were not over tightened and torqued out of original position (bent etc)

If they ship via open transport which is a cheaper way, check for paint damage etc and compare to the dealers listing prior to shipping, he has to fill it out prior to departure.. Now, most transport companies will say you have so many days to file a report of damage, DO NOT WAIT! If you see damage that was not listed by the dealer before leaving, do not let the driver leave without signing the damage claim form. If you do it will be your word against his..

Do a thorough inspection prior to the truck pulling away..

Hope this helps.. I have had vehicles shipped all over the world, so I have been there..

Good luck!

GNB

I did this one time...................and never again. I don't want to scare you but just make you aware. Look the car over very well and take it for a test drive. I bought a BMW Z3 from a dealer in Texas sight unseen, well, I saw the pictures and of course they looked good, off e-bay and ended up getting the royal screw job. Turns out the ABS systemwas defective $2000, the rag top was in terrible shape and had to be replaced $2500. Other than that the car was great. Luckly I was able to buy a used ABS unit on ebay for 150 bucks and installed it myself, but what a pain. The rag top I just covered with the boot and only put it up when it rained so nobody saw it anyway. The up side was that I did get a very good price, not enough of a deal to have a dealer install the ABS and the top.

The buyers Shelby is a brand new car purchased from a Ford dealership and will have the full factory warranty so its not really fair to compare his deal to a used ebay sale ;)

Regarding the OP's question if it was me I would meet the truck personally with camera in hand and take plenty of pics starting with the Shelby still on the truck showing its positon, how it was tied down, cleanliness, etc.

Once the Shelby is off the truck you basically want to look for cosmetic damage INCLUDING THE INTERIOR.

Why the interior you ask? Well a lot of times when cars are transported the doors can not be opened so the driver climbs in thru the window complete with his nasty ol boots, wallet chain, buck knife and many times his 300 lbs of girth. It's very easy for the interior to recieve a cut or two, broken knob, grease stain, etc from this way of entry. Any damage found should be photographed and noted on the delivery paperwork.

Once the cosmetic lookover is done the next step is to make sure nothing is missing. Check for owners manuals, floor mats, spare tire or inflator, key for any wheel locks, etc. Again make a notation on the delivery paperwork of any missing items.

Oh and don't forget to check the cars mileage and have it noted if it doesn't match what it should be. Its not unusal for a dealership employee to use a sold out of state car for lunch runs, date night, etc nor is it unheard of for a truck driver to take a car out for a spin while in route.

Generally you should be concerned about cosmetics. Mechanical stufff should be covered under warranty. Common sense and a camera will provide you the most protection.

Steve

I did this one time...................and never again. I don't want to scare you but just make you aware. Look the car over very well and take it for a test drive. I bought a BMW Z3 from a dealer in Texas sight unseen, well, I saw the pictures and of course they looked good, off e-bay and ended up getting the royal screw job. Turns out the ABS systemwas defective $2000, the rag top was in terrible shape and had to be replaced $2500. Other than that the car was great. Luckly I was able to buy a used ABS unit on ebay for 150 bucks and installed it myself, but what a pain. The rag top I just covered with the boot and only put it up when it rained so nobody saw it anyway. The up side was that I did get a very good price, not enough of a deal to have a dealer install the ABS and the top.

Was it Texas Direct Auto? That's where I picked up my SGT, it was absolutely mint, exactly as described on Ebay. Weird

The buyers Shelby is a brand new car purchased from a Ford dealership and will have the full factory warranty so its not really fair to compare his deal to a used ebay sale ;)

Regarding the OP's question if it was me I would meet the truck personally with camera in hand and take plenty of pics starting with the Shelby still on the truck showing its positon, how it was tied down, cleanliness, etc.

Once the Shelby is off the truck you basically want to look for cosmetic damage INCLUDING THE INTERIOR.

Why the interior you ask? Well a lot of times when cars are transported the doors can not be opened so the driver climbs in thru the window complete with his nasty ol boots, wallet chain, buck knife and many times his 300 lbs of girth. It's very easy for the interior to recieve a cut or two, broken knob, grease stain, etc from this way of entry. Any damage found should be photographed and noted on the delivery paperwork.

Once the cosmetic lookover is done the next step is to make sure nothing is missing. Check for owners manuals, floor mats, spare tire or inflator, key for any wheel locks, etc. Again make a notation on the delivery paperwork of any missing items.

Oh and don't forget to check the cars mileage and have it noted if it doesn't match what it should be. Its not unusal for a dealership employee to use a sold out of state car for lunch runs, date night, etc nor is it unheard of for a truck driver to take a car out for a spin while in route.

Generally you should be concerned about cosmetics. Mechanical stufff should be covered under warranty. Common sense and a camera will provide you the most protection.

Steve

Oh and mine was a used ebay sale, 500 miles, still has full factory warranty on it, so says the dealer anyways. =)

Thank you to all that responded as I thought there was a great deal of knowledge here. I called about the airbag ECU issue today and they are checking for the TSB. I would not have thought about the camera and taking pictures etc. I am certainly going to do that, and the car is new under warranty so no issues there on it mechanically, the dealer salesman has test driven for me and has been in the business a while. A special thanks to Steve and Cobra Scotty as they seem to be in the know on Shelby issues that are new to me. I know mustangs, but a Shelby is way out of my comfort area right now. Shipping date hopefully Friday or Saturday of this week. Dealer stated they would make sure they inspected the loading of the car, I already know there will be an issue backing it off with the lower stance of the vehicle, hopefully we can get off without scraping the tail pipes. Again many thanks....

GG

Archived