TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painting the Underside

War Eagle

I have an appointment next wednesday to get all of the bare metal under my car painted. Right now it is not too bad but will get worse. I am taking it to Orangeman Custom Cars here in town They do great work at a very reasonable price. I am leaving it overnight and he will clean, treat the metal, prime and paint the parts black.

He told me to bring it back when I want it to go faster and he can take care of that also. He does a lot of work on mustangs in our Mustang club and just finished putting a cam and other goodies in a 2008 Bullit. It dynoed 375 HP at the rear wheels.

Will take some pictures when he is finished with the painting of my car.

On another note I took my car in this morning to have the hood adjusted, it was raised up just a little on the right side but it only took 10 minutes and it was perfect.

Steve

Steve Im sure it'll come out nice--are they ging to use a frame black,flat??I personally like the look of a gloss black so it really stands out from all the dull surfaces underneath.I just hit mie with inhibitor and cleared it--but black will last longer.Suggestion, there are alot of variuos labels/tags/paint spots underneath---you might consdier asking him to tape them over with clear tape,so 10 years from now they'll still look good.It only took me 30 minutes with a lift to do that

Steve Im sure it'll come out nice--are they ging to use a frame black,flat??I personally like the look of a gloss black so it really stands out from all the dull surfaces underneath.I just hit mie with inhibitor and cleared it--but black will last longer.Suggestion, there are alot of variuos labels/tags/paint spots underneath---you might consdier asking him to tape them over with clear tape,so 10 years from now they'll still look good.It only took me 30 minutes with a lift to do that

Great suggestions. This morning he mentioned black but did not specify gloss. I will find out next week. I forgot about all of those tags under there.

Steve

Sounds like a great idea, War Eagle. Is there a lot of bare metal underneath? I know all about the rusty "rear end"....is there substantially more rusty parts? I haven't crawled underneath mine yet...I'm spending too much time the drivers seat to do that! hehe.

From what we could see it did not look that bad. the car was not on a lift and he is charging me parts/supplies /labor don't know the total yet. I trust the guy he does great work for all of our members and I think it will probably be pretty nice when he is done.

Steve

I have an appointment next wednesday to get all of the bare metal under my car painted. Right now it is not too bad but will get worse. I am taking it to Orangeman Custom Cars here in town They do great work at a very reasonable price. I am leaving it overnight and he will clean, treat the metal, prime and paint the parts black.

He told me to bring it back when I want it to go faster and he can take care of that also. He does a lot of work on mustangs in our Mustang club and just finished putting a cam and other goodies in a 2008 Bullit. It dynoed 375 HP at the rear wheels.

Will take some pictures when he is finished with the painting of my car.

On another note I took my car in this morning to have the hood adjusted, it was raised up just a little on the right side but it only took 10 minutes and it was perfect.

Steve

How much if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to get mine done and wonder what I should expect.

Great suggestions. This morning he mentioned black but did not specify gloss. I will find out next week. I forgot about all of those tags under there.

Steve

Steve--one more suggestion, i noticed after i started spraying that some of the aerosol spray was getting on the wheels,and going thru--just happend to see weird spots on the wheel.So i cleaned that off,and then covered the inside of the wheels with newspaper,taping it up so nothing would touch the inside or outside of the wheels.

If he's using black he has to spend alot of time coverig the whole car with a painters cloth and tape it to the frame--I did my GTO underneath once,and didnt do a great job of covering EVERYTHING and got black overspray in a lot of places.I think the current balak plate on the rear is semi-gloss,that would look good too

Steve--one more suggestion, i noticed after i started spraying that some of the aerosol spray was getting on the wheels,and going thru--just happend to see weird spots on the wheel.So i cleaned that off,and then covered the inside of the wheels with newspaper,taping it up so nothing would touch the inside or outside of the wheels.

If he's using black he has to spend alot of time coverig the whole car with a painters cloth and tape it to the frame--I did my GTO underneath once,and didnt do a great job of covering EVERYTHING and got black overspray in a lot of places.I think the current balak plate on the rear is semi-gloss,that would look good too

Oops, I just looked at the date he gave me and it is this wed. at 10:00. I was concerned about overspray and want to review with him exactly what he will be doing. We will put the car up on a lift and review everything before he starts. I also do not want any overspray at all on any other components anywhere under the car. I want it to look like a factory job.

Steve

I would like for it to look this good. This Classic car was a frame off restoration five years ago. I may buy this car for my wife.

Steve

looks like he used semi-gloss.I think Grabber has some after shots posted after he painted everything black.Good idea to watch these guys.If you get access to a lift,its a pretty easy job,once youv got everything masked off--bob

Drove over to the shop this morning and talked in detail abou how I wanted the painting done and he could not/would not handle it the way I wanted. I will be doing it myslef as soon as I can find a lift.

Steve

Steve,

You don't need a lift. Here's how I tackled the job:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=11229&hl=

Steve,

You don't need a lift. Here's how I tackled the job:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=11229&hl=

Thanks Grabber, I will probably take it out to my aircraft hangar where I will have more room. I only have a two car garage and it is reallly tight in there. I learned a long time ago that no one will ever do something as well as you will. I think I can move my plane over a little to the left and back some and have plenty of room to jack it up and take my time and do a really nice job on it. Also my wife does not like me working on stuff in the garage next to her Lincoln MKX. I really need to get more garage space built on to the house.

Steve

Wise choice--you'll do a better job,and it'll only be the cost of the paint.Since its not rusty yet,you might want to uase an enamel based rust inhibitor first,let it dry for a day,then paint it watever color you decide.I use Eastwood for my paint pruducts for the car.Good luck

I did this almost two years ago. Got underneath to install springs, panhard bar/brace and axle girdle a few weeks ago - a little dirty, but the paint is still holding up good. You'll get some satisfaction from doing the job yourself. I know - I know - those LCAs have to go.

Installed.jpgnew_panhard.jpg

I did this almost two years ago. Got underneath to install springs, panhard bar/brace and axle girdle a few weeks ago - a little dirty, but the paint is still holding up good. You'll get some satisfaction from doing the job yourself. I know - I know - those LCAs have to go.

6-Speed, man that looks great. I hope mine comes out as well as yours and Grabbers.

Steve

looks like a mixture of semi-gloss and gloss- on different pieces-very nice job.Ill see how my clear holds up,but im thinking it'll go black,looks excellent-

All satin, but two different black paints, one type for the axle & brackets and another for the axle weights. The center pumpkin was already painted from the factory so I left it alone except for the exposed lip under the cover, where I applied some silver primer. One manufacturer's satin is another's glossy I guess.

even though you didnt do it on purpose,the contrast is very eye-appealing.Was the silver just primer or did you seal it with clear.Eastwood makes what they call Aluma,which looks very similar,but not quite as "silvery".

even though you didnt do it on purpose,the contrast is very eye-appealing.Was the silver just primer or did you seal it with clear.Eastwood makes what they call Aluma,which looks very similar,but not quite as "silvery".

The silver primer I used was MasterSeries Silver; it's good stuff for sealing metal against rust. I applied a couple of coats on the axle tubes prior to the top coat.

Archived