TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why does everyone want to race me??

Ok..I really haven't driven my car much since my huge roadtrip, but I took it out a few times recentlly and I get the impression that everone either wants to race me, or pull up close just to see more of the car, or just see what the Shelby can do? I'm flattered by people just keeping up with me to get a better look. I had this one GT follow me for miles just to see the car and that was all good. But it just seemes that there are a lot of cars that are no match to the GT500, that will catch up to me and try to get me to race. Heck I even had a 09 GT-R get up on me and drop it down a few gears. Now we me and the GT-R driver know I can't beat him, but I dropped it a few gears but there was too much traffic to go anywhere. Has this happened a lot to other drivers?? I feel like just dropping the hammer everywhere I go!..lol..but I actually drive her easy in the streets (too many yahoo drivers to go too fast!) and I'm not into street racing. Just courious if this is going on in your area??

Well...people are always looking and wanting to see my car up close. I expected that. These cars are new and rare...combine that with Grabber Blue color and the attention getting racing stripes...people are always going to staring.

I haven't really had ANYONE wanting to race me however. I've driven my car around more than you have from the sounds of it. (minus your roadtrip) I've seen lots of older mustangs (94's-09's) - nice ones, mind you and generally the driver puts their head down and pretends that they don't see me - same with the new Camaro and Challenger drivers.

I don't street race either - and I never will...just not worth it or my type of thing. I bought this car for myself only....not to impress some other person who I don't know.

But really...I DID expect the car to attract attention...It's beautiful after all.

Last night when I was coming home from the woodward dream cruise I had a dude in a new SS that was foolish enough to come up on me, he never had a chance!

A few weeks ago I let a friend drive for a minute, we're sitting at a stop light just before our highway on-ramp, a Viper rolls up, so my buddy got to play with him until we got to the ramp, it was nose to nose the entire time, only a few hundred feet, I was jealous. :P

...and generally the driver puts their head down and pretends that they don't see me...

I've had this happen many times. Its really kind of funny!

No one has wanted to race me either. A fart can Subie took off fast when he saw me once (in the opposite direction). Most of the time I get a wave.

I have the opposite problem. Nobody wants to race me. :(

Eh....take it as a nod that you are King of the County! :shift:

I've had this happen many times. Its really kind of funny!

No one has wanted to race me either.

Again..this is just confirmation that you rule all! LOL! They know better.

Last night when I was coming home from the woodward dream cruise I had a dude in a new SS that was foolish enough to come up on me, he never had a chance!

A few weeks ago I let a friend drive for a minute, we're sitting at a stop light just before our highway on-ramp, a Viper rolls up, so my buddy got to play with him until we got to the ramp, it was nose to nose the entire time, only a few hundred feet, I was jealous. :P

What year was the viper because if it was an 08 these cars are moving :happy feet:

Well now that I said nobody wants to race me it seems a crotch rocket tonight. I was following him on the highway and when it was wide open he just took off. I didn't think he wanted to run so it caught me off guard. I nailed it and he never gained ground until I backed off around 130.

I've been "tailed" quite a few times, mostly folks want a closer look. And I've caught some folks snapping pics with camera phones. I am not a street racer, too dangerous on NJ roads, however I DO have a leadfoot and I will give em a show if traffic allows.

HOWEVER, I got chased by 2 young honeys in a Jeep softtop, and when they saw me cruising the Garden State Parkway, top down, well lets just say they were jealous that I was the only one "topless".

What a treat that was!

:drool::drool::drool:

The worse ones are the ones going the opposite way and reving on you. I just hate it when I am sitting at a light and a car either turning or coming the opposite direction and they would slow down and rev and then continue on their way, if you really want to race turn your car around and get next to me. But for those that does get next to me and rev, I just show them my badge and they sh*t in their pants.

The worse ones are the ones going the opposite way and reving on you. I just hate it when I am sitting at a light and a car either turning or coming the opposite direction and they would slow down and rev and then continue on their way, if you really want to race turn your car around and get next to me. But for those that does get next to me and rev, I just show them my badge and they sh*t in their pants.

:hysterical:

Maybe you should change your plates to "Manboob"

get used to it - 4 some reason big pickup trucks make a point to go by me full throttle

I've had no one challenge me either except for a couple of diesel pickups.

I've been "tailed" quite a few times

Just had an encounter with one of those behemoth diesel pick up trucks...ridiculous....this idiot tailgated me for about 3 miles through town..where the speed limit is 25 mph and there are traffic lights at every other intersections. What a jerk - he kept speeding up til he was right on top of me and weaving side to side. :rant: I finally decided to just turn off to let this jackass go past me...of course he yelled some kind of juvenile, asinine comment while hanging out his window as he sped away.

I can't say that I didn't wish he didn't immediately crash into a telephone pole...does that make me a bad person? :headscratch:

Ha..great stories. Yes I think most of the attention is positive on these cars. Of course there are still a few haters that think their cars are faster. I've also noticed a lot of cell phone cameras as well. The last time I drove her though, which made me write the thread, was a V6 05-09 Mustang that caught up to me and got next to me to floor their automatic and putt off. I just laughed and didn't even react. That's not worth the gas! Speaking of gas, what is everyone getting in the city? I'm getting about 10 to 12 mph in the city, was getting oaver 19 on the HWY at 90mph on way home from my trip! Freeway was great, but city is horrible!

Ha..great stories. Yes I think most of the attention is positive on these cars. Of course there are still a few haters that think their cars are faster. I've also noticed a lot of cell phone cameras as well. The last time I drove her though, which made me write the thread, was a V6 05-09 Mustang that caught up to me and got next to me to floor their automatic and putt off. I just laughed and didn't even react. That's not worth the gas! Speaking of gas, what is everyone getting in the city? I'm getting about 10 to 12 mph in the city, was getting oaver 19 on the HWY at 90mph on way home from my trip! Freeway was great, but city is horrible!

Hi Silversnake2001,

Hmm...I'm doing pretty good as far as MPG. I do all my driving in the city. I'm getting around 14.6 MPG at the moment.

Not bad...But I swear it's less than that...like 5 MPG.....Maybe. It seems I'm stopping at the gas station nearly every other day now. LOL!

Archived