TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 SGT BJ Edition - On The Way To T-Town

Glenn Greenwell

I just purchased a new 2008 SGT Convertable Barrett Jackson edition from a Chandler, AZ Ford dealer today and it will ship to Texarkana, AR next week. Took me about 3 weeks to make up my mind and buy this nicely equipped 2008 SGT. I sold my 05 GT last year. Couldn't stand it anymore without a mustang and a GT/CS just wouldn't do it for me.

If anyone follows this model, I wonder how you tell which number of the 100 built for Arizona Ford dealers you have. This one had been on the ground for 500 days or so and is new with 185 miles on it. I guess the market got saturated or the economy in AZ was an issue. I couldn't believe there were this many still unsold in AZ. I am told they did not build very many automatics and I was lucky to find one.

I remember when they first came out in 2008 they had the huge ADM issue on the price and I passed.

I guess I need to change my aviator on this site, been a long time since I have been tuned in, was trying for a GTH, but they all seemed to expensive and rode hard and put up wet, so when I fell into this deal I was pretty happy. There are still several in Phoenix at a Ford dealer, all are standards. I just wanted an automatic.

May have some questions and need some help from some of you who have had yours for awhile. I've been following mustangs since I was 17, now 57 and this is my first Shelby. Have traded e-mails with a few of you. I still haven't retired yet.......

Just Checking in, Cheers... GG

I had the first two on this forum - 08SGT2228 and 08SGT2247. I still have 47. #28 went to the Barrett Jackson auction in January with proceeds to the Shelby Foundation.

They were sequential VIN numbers, #28 was a 5 speed, #47, an automatic. Both verts.

Fun car. Especially with a Kenne Bell supercharger.

I had the first two on this forum - 08SGT2228 and 08SGT2247. I still have 47. #28 went to the Barrett Jackson auction in January with proceeds to the Shelby Foundation.

They were sequential VIN numbers, #28 was a 5 speed, #47, an automatic. Both verts.

Hi all,

I swore the last time I tried to upload a picture to a forum would be my last, some of you have the gift, I personally never have had much luck, but I am going to try just one time. This is a picture at Earnhardt Ford prior to shipping. Shipment was delayed due to scheduling, not sure how that works, but I am told pick up is Monday or Tuesday for shipping to Texarkana, AR. I will be taking advice from forum members and will have camera in hand. The local Ford Lincoln Mercuy Dealer have told me I can have my car dropped off at their dealer lot and they will have a mechanic that is a Mustang fanatic look at it off the truck. Well here we go, I personally don't expect the picture upload to work

I have already called the service department manager and spoken to them about reprinting the window sticker and Shelby window sticker, which has a small tear according to the salesman. Service deparment manager states this is not an issue, am I missing anything on Shelby paperwork that should go with the car.

God Grief after six edits I think I made it, I still didn't get the picture so it was open when you read the post, so I guess I missed a step, but I did upload a file.......

GG

------------------------

Well the car ships out Tuesday and I have no way of knowing about the stripe issue. The scoop and stripe issue have given me pause, but I wanted what I believe is a rare Shelby out of the total run of SGTs in 2008. I'm not looking to make money, just drive and have some fun with a nice convertable automatic that I believe will turn heads.

I have to just wait and see, depend on the warranty and local dealer follow up. So far the selling dealership has been very good to work with. I have already looked at the Oasis report on the car and it showed nothing but the air bag repair. I plan on waxing the stripes to protect them. The selling dealer states their convertables were kept under a tent in Chandler, AZ.

I'll check in with everyone on delivery, hopefully I'm thinking Phoenix to Texarkana in 3-4 days with delivery on late Friday or Saturday, don't have a clue, never bought out of state before. Yes I am excited, but even though the car was detailed today, it will have road grime on it and its suppose to rain from AZ all the way to Arkansas later this week, bummer. I have a lot to learn about Shelby Mustangs and still depending on those of you that have the real experience to help me.

Just my thoughts...... GG

Tony,

It appears you have the longest ownership of an SGT/BJ on the forum, can you share your experience with the stripe issue and/or hood scoop on your car.

GG

Congrats on your new car. BJ cars are very nice.

Man I'm liking that hood and spoiler, I have been considering both, but with this being a special run car, I guess I'll just stand pat. I am going to buy an aftermarket OEM factory black spoiler just in case the feeling hits me. I do like your car and am thinking about the GT-H driving lights as a future mod, just need to get it here.

I suppose everyone has mixed feelings about modifications but I always liked the GT-H extras, you should be proud of your car, I started out looking for a GT-H Vert and ended up with an SGT/BJ.

GG

Man I'm liking that hood and spoiler, I have been considering both, but with this being a special run car, I guess I'll just stand pat. I am going to buy an aftermarket OEM factory black spoiler just in case the feeling hits me. I do like your car and am thinking about the GT-H driving lights as a future mod, just need to get it here.

I suppose everyone has mixed feelings about modifications but I always liked the GT-H extras, you should be proud of your car, I started out looking for a GT-H Vert and ended up with an SGT/BJ.

GG

Thanks. Car just got picked up for Paxton SC install at SAI. Should arrive on Thursday. Only other mod I will do is the TCI shifter. Neet to see the 1966 with the paxton and now the 2006 with the new version.

Mods are OK, just don't go overboard. Maybe I did. However, in 40 years I will mostllikly not be here.

Tony,

It appears you have the longest ownership of an SGT/BJ on the forum, can you share your experience with the stripe issue and/or hood scoop on your car.

GG

It's not a pretty picture. I bought two. At the time I had a spec house with a three car garage - to BJ SGTs and a Case 1845C ("Bobcat") parked inside to keep the f***n HOA happy.

I drove the automatic. It saw sun and outside (but not much rain). The stripes got scrunched. The 5-speed saw the light of day only a few times - when it was built, stored on the parking lot at Shelby, and at my place for about 5 hours. It didn't matter - the scoop still scrunched the stripes.

I had both shipped to Bud (I personally delivered them to him - seriously) for Kenne Bell Supercharger installs and he was gracious enough to get the scoop/stripes fixed. The one I have is still perfect and it was literally a year ago that I picked it up - and the CSCF car was perfect when I inspected it at the BJ auction in January. However, SAI is not a stripe factory. Bud fixed mine coincidentally because they were there for the supercharger. They are not a stripe/scoop shop. For that you should go through your local dealer.

The next issue is the hood pins and lanyards....

I just purchased a new 2008 SGT Convertable Barrett Jackson edition from a Chandler, AZ Ford dealer today and it will ship to Texarkana, AR next week. Took me about 3 weeks to make up my mind and buy this nicely equipped 2008 SGT. I sold my 05 GT last year. Couldn't stand it anymore without a mustang and a GT/CS just wouldn't do it for me.

If anyone follows this model, I wonder how you tell which number of the 100 built for Arizona Ford dealers you have. This one had been on the ground for 500 days or so and is new with 185 miles on it. I guess the market got saturated or the economy in AZ was an issue. I couldn't believe there were this many still unsold in AZ. I am told they did not build very many automatics and I was lucky to find one.

I remember when they first came out in 2008 they had the huge ADM issue on the price and I passed.

I guess I need to change my aviator on this site, been a long time since I have been tuned in, was trying for a GTH, but they all seemed to expensive and rode hard and put up wet, so when I fell into this deal I was pretty happy. There are still several in Phoenix at a Ford dealer, all are standards. I just wanted an automatic.

May have some questions and need some help from some of you who have had yours for awhile. I've been following mustangs since I was 17, now 57 and this is my first Shelby. Have traded e-mails with a few of you. I still haven't retired yet.......

Congratulations. Don't forget to check for the Shelby floor mats. 2 for the front seat only. These seem to turn up missing on alot of these Shelby GT's. You can not get replacements for them.

Enjoy your new baby

It's not a pretty picture. I bought two. At the time I had a spec house with a three car garage - to BJ SGTs and a Case 1845C ("Bobcat") parked inside to keep the f***n HOA happy.

I drove the automatic. It saw sun and outside (but not much rain). The stripes got scrunched. The 5-speed saw the light of day only a few times - when it was built, stored on the parking lot at Shelby, and at my place for about 5 hours. It didn't matter - the scoop still scrunched the stripes.

I had both shipped to Bud (I personally delivered them to him - seriously) for Kenne Bell Supercharger installs and he was gracious enough to get the scoop/stripes fixed. The one I have is still perfect and it was literally a year ago that I picked it up - and the CSCF car was perfect when I inspected it at the BJ auction in January. However, SAI is not a stripe factory. Bud fixed mine coincidentally because they were there for the supercharger. They are not a stripe/scoop shop. For that you should go through your local dealer.

The next issue is the hood pins and lanyards....

Tony,

Well I take it all back, low and behold upon talking to the salesman at Chandler yesterday (Tueaday evening) prior to shipment they tell me the car was restriped by Chandler Ford because the stripes were bad and my car is missing a hood pin so we are shipping it with one missing. They did order me a new set from Shelby to be shipped to my house, I suppose I'll find something locally to work until the replacements come in the mail. For some reason I thought the scoop issue was resolved on the 2008 run of cars. I'll look at the scoop and lanyards upon delivery also.

Still excited about delivery this week. I pressed the dealer for complete details and why no one told me about the stripe issue, they threw in a free premium warranty bumper to bumper 5/60,000 miles extra and a free convertable boot cover that was not part of the deal so I can't complain.

All in all I think the price of the car with extras and shipping was good for me. Hoping the detail was done correctly and the engine bay is free of the AZ dust. If I had to do it again I think I would have invested money in a ticket to Phoenix on Southwest airlines for an inspection, but that is hindsight.

Anyway thats what warranties are for, my 05 GT, which I had for three years never saw service other than oil changes and a throttle body sensor repair. Thanks for your reply.

GG

Tony,

Well I take it all back, low and behold upon talking to the salesman at Chandler yesterday (Tueaday evening) prior to shipment they tell me the car was restriped by Chandler Ford because the stripes were bad and my car is missing a hood pin so we are shipping it with one missing. They did order me a new set from Shelby to be shipped to my house, I suppose I'll find something locally to work until the replacements come in the mail. For some reason I thought the scoop issue was resolved on the 2008 run of cars. I'll look at the scoop and lanyards upon delivery also.

Still excited about delivery this week. I pressed the dealer for complete details and why no one told me about the stripe issue, they threw in a free premium warranty bumper to bumper 5/60,000 miles extra and a free convertable boot cover that was not part of the deal so I can't complain.

All in all I think the price of the car with extras and shipping was good for me. Hoping the detail was done correctly and the engine bay is free of the AZ dust. If I had to do it again I think I would have invested money in a ticket to Phoenix on Southwest airlines for an inspection, but that is hindsight.

Anyway thats what warranties are for, my 05 GT, which I had for three years never saw service other than oil changes and a throttle body sensor repair. Thanks for your reply.

GG

I would change the oil the very first 10 miles you put on it. Take it to the Ford dealer. 5W20 or 5W30 (I forget which) is recommended. It's a Ford synthetic blend. It's been sitting too long, even for Arizona which doesn't get the low condensing temps, but warm it up good and dump what's in there.

I'm so sorry to hear that this deal turned sour. It sounds like the dealer made some "convenient repairs" to make it look good instead of preserving the original car. It's really too bad. Good luck in finding another cool car!

I am really bummed out over this, I think I could have resolved the stripe issue, but when the general manager did a walk around the car and said I would not be happy that was the final straw and I pulled the plug and he ageed they should give my money back, I really not sure what happened with the car......

GG

I am really bummed out over this, I think I could have resolved the stripe issue, but when the general manager did a walk around the car and said I would not be happy that was the final straw and I pulled the plug and he ageed they should give my money back, I really not sure what happened with the car......

GG

My guess is a good detailer could have resurrected it. The car has been in unmerciless sun for about 18 months, and coupled with the desert sandblasting, it is going to take a toll. Chances are that a good detailing and getting the stripes painted on would make it worth while, but the dealer isn't likely to want to put that money into it. Also, I'd then be concerned about the interior - that heat would have been beaten pretty badly too and that isn't likely to come back.

I think you probably made the right choice.

If you're still looking for a '08 SGT check with Michael Morris here - he might be able to locate one somewhere where the weather wouldn't have been so hard on it. I though tthere was one at a local Ford dealer but it didn't show up yesterday when I looked.

• 3 months later...

It took me a little while to find this post. Mine is #2293

Mustangs007.jpg

Archived