TEAM SHELBY FORUM

in-car track video

OK finally got it figured out. The size/time limits were a chore to deal with, hence the delay.

Anyway, here's #1 of 2 clips of the same video:

Clip 2 of that video is still loading. Then I'll be working on editing the video from inside my brother's GT500.

Since I'm polluting his clip with non-stop barking direction from the passenger seat, I think I'll find a couple of decent songs to lay over the clip. ;)

Stay tuned on that.

As for my clips, this was the 2nd session of 5 runs total. This was the first time I've been on the track with my non-intercooled Paxton. The blower didn't run nearly as hot as I expected it to. I didn't think I'd be able to run it all, but I was wrong, the car ran fast and cool. My brother was forced off the track in this same session, due to heat soak. ;)

This was also the first test of the functional hood scoop. It seemed to help with the under hood cooling, but I don't have any real data to point to. I noticed zero lift issues and the car felt as solid as ever. All in all, it was a perfect day at the track.

Ken

MF1A5625.jpg

My video description:

"This is my first attempt at in-car video on the track. The center gauge cluster makes it difficult to see, but there's still some good action. The car in front of me is a race-prepped Lotus. You'll see a yellow Porsche Carrera, a Roush 427R Mustang, among others.

The Audi that passes is a sponsor driven demo car dropping in our group. The blue Z06 isn't. He simply dusted me. "

Nice! Very cool indeed. Wished I was out there with ya Ken. Thanks for posting up the vids.

I've raced at our local road course track, Firebird Raceway and have been lucky enough to race at the Miller Motorsports Park in Utah and both the oval and road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. But never with my GT500 - just got it 3 weeks ago. I raced with race prepared Mustangs at both Firebird Raceway and Miller Motorsports Park (along with shifter carts on their 1/2 mile track), a Lexus ISF at the road course in Vegas and open wheel Indy cars on the oval at Vegas. I have a Lightning that I drag race as well. But I bought the GT500 to be able to road race more. When I saw your thread I had to click on it and catch the fever again!

Ken

Thanks for the comment Ken. Sounds like you've got quite a few track hours under your belt. I'd love to put my SGT on Miller in Utah sometime soon, that's for sure.

Good luck with your GT500. With the right equipment, that car is a complete beast on the road course.

Ken

Looks like you had a blast Ken. Great vids, thanks for posting. What group were you running in?

Andy

Thanks Andy. I was in the B group - intermediate. I need tires, brakes, and a few more laps out there before I move outta that run group. :shift:

Great vids, Ken!

I want to hook up with you in the future. (Maybe after I get my car back from SAI. Around end of August!)

That looks like so much fun!

A couple points...

It looks like your gauges don't move. Are they hooked up?

Maybe mount your camera a little higher to get the full view.

I would rather hear the sound of the V-8 as opposed to the music... It is music to MY ears!

Since I'm only about 40 miles away, we should get together for a photo-op.

Dan

BTW... your 08 looks very fast for one of the "slower" colors! :stirpot::hide:

Great vids, Ken!

I want to hook up with you in the future. (Maybe after I get my car back from SAI. Around end of August!)

That looks like so much fun!

A couple points...

It looks like your gauges don't move. Are they hooked up?

Maybe mount your camera a little higher to get the full view.

I would rather hear the sound of the V-8 as opposed to the music... It is music to MY ears!

Since I'm only about 40 miles away, we should get together for a photo-op.

Dan

BTW... your 08 looks very fast for one of the "slower" colors! :stirpot::hide:

Hey Dan, thanks a lot man! We should definitely get together sometime soon. It would be a lot of fun to get a caravan of Shelbys up to the track one of these days.

As for my gauges, they all worked until Thursday night before I installed the new Metco fuel rails. My fuel rail adapter block (where that gauge harness plugs into) won't fit on the new fuel rails. So I just left it unhooked for the track, but have it figured out now. That's the far right gauge. The center gauge is oil pressure and it didn't move a lot all day, which is a good thing. ;)

The oil temp gauge crept up to 200* or so, which wasn't too bad considering how hot it was out there.

As for the camera, I'm looking into a window mount now. With that center stack, I'm not sure if I can ever quite get the footage I want. But I dig the gauges, so I don't want to rip the whole thing out just yet. :)

Anyway, I'm up for a meet anytime man. Just let me know day/time and I'll be there. Talk at ya soon

Ken

Nice vids. She looks right at home on the road course. What tires are you running on the roard course? Track days are interesting because you spend a few hundred to get in some laps. Then a few thousand on car set up. At least thats been my experience.

Nice vids. She looks right at home on the road course. What tires are you running on the roard course? Track days are interesting because you spend a few hundred to get in some laps. Then a few thousand on car set up. At least thats been my experience.

It's definitely not an inexpensive hobby.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. A night/day improvement over the stock BFG's, but I'm still in the market on a real track tire.

Ken

It's definitely not an inexpensive hobby.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. A night/day improvement over the stock BFG's, but I'm still in the market on a real track tire.

Ken

Yes Ken you do need a set of track tires and brakes. Next time lets put the cam in my SGT and I'll fallow you and check out you line on the track.

Yes Ken you do need a set of track tires and brakes. Next time lets put the cam in my SGT and I'll fallow you and check out you line on the track.

That's a good idea Carl. I'm thinking about getting one of the Hero Cams on order too, so that I can get footage from the front of the car.

That's a good idea Carl. I'm thinking about getting one of the Hero Cams on order too, so that I can get footage from the front of the car.

That is an impressive looking little camera. The cycle gear shop here had them on sale for $99 with an SD card. They had a nice display with race footage from the camera playing. I want to pick one up eventually after I get some other stuff for the car.

That is an impressive looking little camera. The cycle gear shop here had them on sale for $99 with an SD card. They had a nice display with race footage from the camera playing. I want to pick one up eventually after I get some other stuff for the car.

That's a smokin deal. I think I'll go with the Hero cam 'wide' though. It's supposed to have better video quality apparently.

My cruisecam mount would be ideal if I didn't have this giant gauge pod in the way! :doh:

Thanks for the ride along !!!

I will be trying mine out at Sebring this year. I have done a lot of Drag Racing, but never a road course, I wonder how 60 + rookie will do? :hysterical3::shift:

Ken,

This stuff is so cool to me. In my past, when I was early 20's I raced a Kawasaki ZX6R in the AMA and WERA. I love road courses and all things related to it. I really need to get back out there, I stopped because my last race at Road Atlanta a saw a guy killed on the track. (Motorcycles) After getting home from the long weekend, I sold all my motorcycles and moved on from it. I started getting back into Mustangs and bought a 1996 Mystic Cobra, later a F150 Lightning and then the SGT. I know I'm rambling, but my point is I have a past in Road Racing and watching your video's has really started a new fire burning to get back into this sport. I would love to see your Brother's video without the music and hear the advice and support you were giving him. Anyway, thanks again for the great video's!

Jim

Thanks for the kind words fellas. My advice to anyone with an SGT - road race the hell out of it. That's what these cars were built to do!

Since I've started tracking this thing, I've slowed way down on the street. I don't race unless I have a helmet on in a controlled environment. Before, I'd race any punk with a rice burning 4 banger just to get my kicks. Now it's unnecessary and seems insane. I've never had more fun in my life than the fun I have on the track and I really look forward to improving my skills and improving my ride in the months/years to come.

I'm glad some of you guys have taken in an interest in it as well, especially from these clips! I hope to see lots more videos like this on TS soon. :)

Ken

Archived