TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tire pressure sensors

albinorhino

I changed my 18 inch stock wheels for some nice 20 inch wheels. The guys can't figure out how to put the tire pressure sensors on the new wheels since they are on an 18 inch band in the stock wheels. Does anybody know how to do this or if the sensor can just be cancelled since I am carrying the full sized front wheel and tire in the trunk in case of a flat.

The bands are "one-use-only" so you have to buy a new set of bands in order to move the sensors to new rims even if they're 18". And no you should not (cannot?) disable the sensor system. I have read (in my search for an answer to this very question) that it is a violation of federal law to tamper with or disarm a factory installed TPMS.

As others have (tongue-in-cheek, maybe) pointed out to me; you can just ignore the constant warnings and lights.....not

I changed my 18 inch stock wheels for some nice 20 inch wheels. The guys can't figure out how to put the tire pressure sensors on the new wheels since they are on an 18 inch band in the stock wheels. Does anybody know how to do this or if the sensor can just be cancelled since I am carrying the full sized front wheel and tire in the trunk in case of a flat.

There are quite a few previous threads about this issue. I can tell you that I got new bands and the cradles for the TPMS's from Discount Tire. They were very cheap and can be re-used if necessary.

I put new wheels on my car a week ago and the warning light and buzzer has only gone off maybe 3 times. It took me 2 seconds to hit the reset button and I was good to go.

Why would you carry a full size spare in the trunk, thats just more weight, and we all know we don't need any more weight in our cars. If you get a flat, just call for roadside assistance. :idea:

The extra 50 lbs doesn't make any difference performance wise other than helping with the traction. I have a full size spare also in the spare tire well. I feel a lot better with it knowing I can change a flat and not ruin a tire and senso. Also, I hate the idea of someone trying to tow this car if they don't know what they are doing.

I put new wheels on my car a week ago and the warning light and buzzer has only gone off maybe 3 times. It took me 2 seconds to hit the reset button and I was good to go.

Why would you carry a full size spare in the trunk, thats just more weight, and we all know we don't need any more weight in our cars. If you get a flat, just call for roadside assistance. :idea:

If you use roadside assistance you will be waiting 30 minutes for the tow truck, then another 30 at the tire store to get the tire fixed, assuming it's during business hours. What if it's 1 AM when you have your flat? Have them tow the car to a shop, drop it and let it sit overnight? I don't think so. In that case I'd have it towed to my house, take the tire off myself, and drive it to the shop later.

If I have a flat I'll either use the Science kit in the trunk or carry a spare...undecided at this point.

Dave

Archived