TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stamped Aluminum Map Light Accent

I picked up a stamped aluminum map light accent over the weekend from Quantum. When I installed it the light switch covers would not seat themselves all the away. Well in a effort to push them on I have some how broken one of the switches and now the light will not turn off and the switch covers are still not seated completely.

I understand I should have been more careful when pushing on the switch covers but it would have been nice to have some instructions explaining how to safely and securely install this kit, regardless of how simple it may be.

Obviously I'll need to completely replace the map light assembly, but I will also need to replace the aluminum accent if I still want this look.

Has anyone else had this same issue?

Any ideas if it would be worth the effort to try to get help from Shelby Performance Parts or Quantum on replacing one or both parts?

Attached is a photo of what I mean by the switch covers not seating all the way.

post-24566-1250020149_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1250020149_thumb.jpg

Same thing happened to me. I had the entire assembly replaced under warranty (after prying the metal covers off).

Then I threw the map light accent away. :)

Ken

As long as there are no warranty spies on here I think I'll give that a try. "I dunno warranty dude, it just stopped working." :shrug:

before you go the warranty route, why don't you pull the unit out of the car by pulling straight down on it...it will take some force, but it will come down...then unplug it and take it inside where you can inspect it closely...I doubt the switch is actually broken, you may be able to tell what is wrong once you remove the alarm unit from the top of it...may just take loosening the switch and re-seating it to get it to work again...

Sometimes you can find the units on Ebay...I have an extra that I bought for 10% of the original cost...just in case someday...

before you go the warranty route, why don't you pull the unit out of the car by pulling straight down on it...it will take some force, but it will come down...then unplug it and take it inside where you can inspect it closely...I doubt the switch is actually broken, you may be able to tell what is wrong once you remove the alarm unit from the top of it...may just take loosening the switch and re-seating it to get it to work again...

Sometimes you can find the units on Ebay...I have an extra that I bought for 10% of the original cost...just in case someday...

I tried that and could not find what was wrong. When I tried installing the covers I heard a loud snap. I pulled the light assembly off expecting to find bits of broken plastic but everything looked in order.

+1 I had the same problem when I installed and I continued to work with it with a little persuasion from a very small screw driver and have not had any more problems with it. Craig

I picked up a stamped aluminum map light accent over the weekend from Quantum. When I installed it the light switch covers would not seat themselves all the away. Well in a effort to push them on I have some how broken one of the switches and now the light will not turn off and the switch covers are still not seated completely.

I understand I should have been more careful when pushing on the switch covers but it would have been nice to have some instructions explaining how to safely and securely install this kit, regardless of how simple it may be.

Obviously I'll need to completely replace the map light assembly, but I will also need to replace the aluminum accent if I still want this look.

Any ideas if it would be worth the effort to try to get help from Shelby Performance Parts or Quantum on replacing one or both parts?

Attached is a photo of what I mean by the switch covers not seating all the way.

Ahhh - Nuts!!! :censored::censored:

Ive heard of that happening. Just hope you can get it fixed uder warranty, otherwise, I think I remember reading it cost over $300 to replace it

I did this, and it was broke. $631.00 for the one installed with active anti-theft. Luckily the service manager at the dealership I use is a good friend of mine. I wound up leaving the button covers off completely, as have others, not worth tearing up the car. you should remove the logo piece before you take it to the Ford lot, so they wont have any idea you jacked with it. Be VERY VERY careful removing it. they are not engineered to be removed and the chances that you are going to wad it up are great. Might have to buy another. Good luck

Chris

Edit 1.0: spelling errors

I removed the tape that came with mine and super glue it ,,worked great and looks good,,,why not just glue them on ,,do you plan on taking them off ????

I removed the tape that came with mine and super glue it ,,worked great and looks good,,,why not just glue them on ,,do you plan on taking them off ????

It’s not the face plate I have a problem with; it’s the light switch buttons.

I pulled the whole assembly off, removed the wire harness and took some needle-nose and lightly pulled on the effected switch. It seams to be working fine now, but I'm still not happy with the appearance of the switch covers because they do not completely cover the switch buttons; it looks cheap. I would pull them off if I wasn't worried I would damage the plastic underneath.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

There are other threads where members had the exact same issue. There are also a one where the member went into detail how to install them successfully. I can't put my finger on it though. Not sure if it was in here or someplace else. Maybe it was Grabber? Sorry!

Yeah a real piece of crap!!!

Last year I installed it on mine. Same darn thing happened. Busted one of the light buttons. Then the stupid top piece comes up at the corners---an absolute waste of $.

I am taking mine to the dealer to get it replaced under warranty after reading this thread.

Here are the instructions.

Also see post 14 and on for button install.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=38683&hl=

That's the story of my life, "too little, too late." But the moral of the story is "Read a few post before trying a new mod".

I will give the heat a try.

Had mine on for a year used a dab of R.T.V on inside of light covers & on the end of accent cover works great. You only need a little R.TV.

R.T.V? :headscratch: Is that like a B.F.H.? I have plenty of Big Frigin Hammers, but I think that’s a little over kill.

That's the story of my life, "too little, too late." But the moral of the story is "Read a few post before trying a new mod".

I will give the heat a try.

Follow my instructions and it will work out fine.

Archived