TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs. Viper - 510 hp 505 ci

1FSTHRSE

no video unfortunatly but I do have my slip.

it was a blast. he said he was stock, but I,m not sure. looked like after market air cleaners. he bought it used and said did not know if it may have had a tune or not.

Does anybody know if his numbers look good for stock or a bit better than stock?

thanks

mike

post-2678-1250006881_thumb.jpg

post-2678-1250006881_thumb.jpg

Great Job Mike! I've been anxious to run up against one and always wondered how it would go! Excellent times as well. When you coming out here to give me a driving lesson :hysterical:

I was at a local speed shop last week and they had a full race-prepped Viper on the dyno. This thing looked and sounded WICKED. Dynoed at 668 rhwp and 680 rwtq naturally aspirated! The guy runs in the Viper series and money must be no object. He was having a bunch of things fixed from the last race including a new hood at $18k! He put the driver's side front wheel into the passenger compartment but fortunately wasn't injured. He owns a roofing company.....guess I'm in the wrong business!!!! :banghead:

no video unfortunatly but I do have my slip.

it was a blast. he said he was stock, but I,m not sure. looked like after market air cleaners. he bought it used and said did not know if it may have had a tune or not.

Does anybody know if his numbers look good for stock or a bit better than stock?

thanks

mike

These look better than stock. I've never seen a magazine review under 12 seconds. Even if you do not trust the mag's, it still looks fast.

The stock 500's I've seen run have serious problems hooking out of the hole. the 1.8 60ft time tells me you hooked better than most.

None the less, that was a great run!

SLC

Good run - the vipers I have seen at the track run a higher mph and I have yet to see one run with drag radials- I watch them blow the stock tires off the car for a couple of runs but the good drivers always manage to give up a little at the launch but make it up in the end. At my track to pull a 1.8 60 ft you would have to have drag radials on a gt 500. My guess- just from watching- a viper with the ability to hook up should run mid 11s at around 127-129. My only bragging rights came to be when I beat a Z06 on one match up run but he also figured out the traction issues and ran in the 11s. My biggest loss was to a vw that was vw powered at the rear that left me like I was standing still and ran in the 10s. At the track you never know what is loaded into the gun at the strarting line with you. I run low to mid 12s and see a lot of tail lights before I reach 1320ft but that's ok because I drive the car to the track and drive it home- usually with the air blowing and a good song coming out of the speakers. Hope I get a chance at a Viper I bet it was a ball.

Great Job Mike! I've been anxious to run up against one and always wondered how it would go! Excellent times as well. When you coming out here to give me a driving lesson :hysterical:

I was at a local speed shop last week and they had a full race-prepped Viper on the dyno. This thing looked and sounded WICKED. Dynoed at 668 rhwp and 680 rwtq naturally aspirated! The guy runs in the Viper series and money must be no object. He was having a bunch of things fixed from the last race including a new hood at $18k! He put the driver's side front wheel into the passenger compartment but fortunately wasn't injured. He owns a roofing company.....guess I'm in the wrong business!!!! :banghead:

yes, is sure sounded and looked good. but you know the second sentence out of him was how hot inside it is, it's like sitting in a 'pizza oven' when driving this thing around.

this was my first time out with the 'raptor' shift light installed. sure does make it easier to drive well. the two stage option is priceless. light comes on at your desired launch rpm and at shift rpm, this will add consistency for sure. Just be sure to program it properly :banghead: . my fisrt run against him i messed up the programing and ran right into the rev limiter - you cant make up that much wasted time. I was going to catch him at the big end, but with the wasted time on the rev limiter he crossed the line first. wild thing is i still had a lower ET than him, but his better reaction time saved him.... :closedeyes:

mike

Well I happen to own a Viper and a GT500 and I can attest that Vipers are a bit trickier to launch than just about any other car. It also depends on the year. GTS or SRT. Most Vipers have K&N intake and some type of exhaust mod. Simply put stock they are strangled both with the intake and the exhaust, except for the 2008+ where they opened them up a bit more. Running 11's with a stock Viper 2008 is easy. 2003 to 2006 stock will run high 11's. GTS bone stock will run a 12 flat. Vipers suffer greatly from Traction issue's much more than just about any other car.

From looking at your sig, you have the car setup quite a bit for drag racing. I would expect a GT500 with that setup to beat a stock Viper. Now a TT Viper or even a supercharged Viper would be more like comparing apples to apples.

Archived