TEAM SHELBY FORUM

In Vegas this week

twobjshelbys

I got some good shots again - things are moved around but pretty much the same cars as last time. There was a cool video over by the Dodges.

Got a new t-shirt and cap.

I'll unload the camera later tonight and post some pics.

Cheers,

Tony

I walked by there I saw someone with a TS CLub shirt on, was it you? It looked good.

I thought you guys were all gone to SAAC. I was wearing the yellow/orange Shelby shirt with the big camera hung around my neck.

We all waved at the web cam.

Saac ended yesterday we are back to work today. I was the girl with the Blue Cobra shirt on hanging up signs.

Here are some of the pics:

The Cobras were rearranged to be more grouped:

DSC_4490.jpg

DSC_4493.jpg

I had pictures of the Mustangs from before, although they were moved to be more "in order" (GT350 to GT500). The Dodges were where they were before but I got some better pictures because there weren't as many people around when I got there.

DSC_4494.jpg

There is a video of the Dodge cars. Some cool history and good shots:

DSC_4495.jpg

DSC_4496.jpg

DSC_4497.jpg

DSC_4498.jpg

I'd seen this cycle around and managed to catch the spec/price slide just during a transition:

DSC_4499.jpg

DSC_4500.jpg

I'm in Vegas this week and yesterday I took a day to go to visit Jenni at the Carroll Shelby Foundation (formerly the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation). It had been set up for a while and part of the trip was a walk through Carroll's "warehouse". Steve Thornton (shelbymotorsports) was my gracious host. We went for lunch afterward.

I got to take pictures, but only for personal use. I'll check with Steve for clearance to post a couple that don't give too much info away.

All I can say is WOW!!! Carroll has some really nice cars. He actually doesn't have very many of the old ones, but there were several Cobras (of course) including a very sweet original 289 slabside.

Some of the cars there belonged to others. Amy has a couple of sweet oldies too!

I also got a tour of the engine plant. It's amazing to watch the process of a raw cast aluminum block become an operating engine. The engineer took over and I had to watch. When we were leaving for lunch the milling machine started up and I went back to watch it. It's messy inside one of these things. Oil and aluminum flying everywhere.

One more thing - if you wonder some times why it takes so long to get Carroll's signature on your (whatever), I can tell you. On the way in we walked through the staging area. There were probably somewhere around 500-600 (maybe more) individual items waiting to be signed. Jenni told me that Carroll had been in on Monday and signed for a couple of hours, and it looked like he'd barely made a dent. On the way out two guys were packaging the previous day's stuff. There was alot left.

Thanks Steve!

I also got a peek at a small company that is a startup that shares space in the engine facility. Their lead engineer is a master (if not by title, then in practice) machinist and has his own small CNC machine for their company. He helps set up complex CNC programs for some of the engine parts when they get a custom order.

Here is a picture from their web site:

R0100006.jpg

There is more info at their site, but I spotted this one since it has a an aluminum cobra reflected in the mirror!

What is amazing about this is that it as extremely high torque, low RPM engine - 350FtLb at 400RPM. It's not an automobile engine. It's also an 8-cylinder but has only two plugs. Quite unique design. I don't think I should mention the specific application they were working on. More info here:

http://www.ox2engine.com/

Tony

It was great having you visit. Jenni again apologizes for not being able to make the lunch part but don't worry I'm sure we can work out something at one of the B-J auctions or the January Vegas Bash.

Posting a few pics should be fine but email them to me first just so I can be sure they're ok to post. As I mentioned a few of those cars belong to others and sometimes there are cars from celebrity friends of Carroll's back there. It's best for those pics not to be posted publicly or the "suits" will be after my rear.

Your generous donation to the Shelby Foundation is greatly appreciated and I'm glad you were able to see how the foundation operates on a daily basis. Something new and exciting is always going on over there.

Steve

"One more thing - if you wonder some times why it takes so long to get Carroll's signature on your (whatever), I can tell you. On the way in we walked through the staging area. There were probably somewhere around 500-600 (maybe more) individual items waiting to be signed. Jenni told me that Carroll had been in on Monday and signed for a couple of hours, and it looked like he'd barely made a dent. On the way out two guys were packaging the previous day's stuff. There was alot left."

One of them must have been mine! My airbag cover arrived today! :bandance: :bandance:

Archived