TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with my dilemma

OK, I am sure many of you went through some considerable thought before laying out this type of cash, so I need your input. I am blessed to have a 40th packaged '07 vert and I bought the red '08 to go for the high horsepower setup.

When I consider that, realistically, I am going to spend $40K for a 725 HP setup and a few options, I am struggling with it. I am leaning toward spending less than $15K and building a 725+ HP machine with my own style and approach. Now, while I never think of these cars as an investment, I do consider how to mitigate my losses to the greatest possible extent. There is no question that a car modified by Shelby will be worth more than a car that I modify, but if I spend $25K less to begin with, I have to consider the value of that money not spent.

It isn't all about dollars though...On one hand, doing it myself I can design every detail the way I want and enjoy doing the work myself, but on the other hand it won't wear the name of the baddest mustang ever built.

Ugh...I just can't decide. Sorry for the long rant, but I do appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

If I were to build a house would I hire an architect or design it myself? If I thought I could design it better than an architect I would design it myself.

With the SS I am buying a package designed by Carroll Shelby who has a lifetime legacy for designing cars. If I thought I could design a car better myself I would not have bought the SS package. When I take my car to a car show and see the crowd that gathers around the car, that speaks for itself.

You have to want to own a Shelby or you don't. It's about as simple as that.

Snake it. Not to say its a GOOD investment, but I believe its less of a bad one. If you go to resale a SUperSnake you will get most of your money back. If you go to sell a hopped up GT500 it will most likley sell for less than a stock GT500.

If I were to build a house would I hire an architect or design it myself? If I thought I could design it better than an architect I would design it myself.

With the SS I am buying a package designed by Carroll Shelby who has a lifetime legacy for designing cars. If I thought I could design a car better myself I would not have bought the SS package. When I take my car to a car show and see the crowd that gathers around the car, that speaks for itself.

You have to want to own a Shelby or you don't. It's about as simple as that.

Man ain't that the truth. Pop the hood and stand back.

If is not an investment, then do it yourself. (Or as one person put it, if you are not that qualified, have a local shop that you trust add the parts you want.) Honestly, you can buy almost all the exact same parts and have them installed at a non-shelby certified installer and save a lot of money. Also, on the investment side, do like a lot of resto-mod shops do and mod it up and keep the originals for collector purposes. Either way, do what makes you want to drive the hell out of it, and have some fun.

If is not an investment, then do it yourself. (Or as one person put it, if you are not that qualified, have a local shop that you trust add the parts you want.) Honestly, you can buy almost all the exact same parts and have them installed at a non-shelby certified installer and save a lot of money. Also, on the investment side, do like a lot of resto-mod shops do and mod it up and keep the originals for collector purposes. Either way, do what makes you want to drive the hell out of it, and have some fun.

The reason I said Snake is that you will NOT save a lot of money if you were to do everything they do to a SS........then, with the SS you end up having a true limited production car.

Archived