TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua tire size

Shelby2809

I am looking at new wheels for my SGT and have talked to a few Shelby owners lately, what I wondering is why the Terlingua came with 20's? It is a road course car, why would 20's be standard on a road course car... also, how does it handle? 20" wheels are beautiful on 2005+ Mustangs, but everyone I've talked to says go with 18's. Anyway, please feel free to enlighten me, I look forward to reading your responses.

Jim

:headscratch: I know the 20's are needed on the Terlingua to fit over the front brakes they use...as far as handling on a road course, the Terlingua's are kicking ass...whatever they lose on the 20's, I guess they make up with the bigger brakes :happy feet:

20's are cheap and they fit over the Shelby big brakes. That's the main point of it. The whole thing to remember about the Terlingua, it's an ENTRY LEVEL Shelby. To make it a track car that can last 30 minute sessions, some modifications need to be made. Now don't get me wrong, price point wise, the Terlingua kicks the crap out of just about everything out there and runs great. We're going to rebuild a V6 and turn it into a race engine. Our expected HP is between 350-400 RWHP. This has already been done repeatedly. We're going to do it to the Terlingua.

1. Cooling system. The Vortech/Paxton cooling tanks are a joke. Plastic over the exhaust manifold?

2. Radiator. Upgrade. Needs to be bigger just like we are doing with the GT500's.

3. Better wheels...in 18" so that you can run slicks.

Those are the major ones.

The 20's only come with the performance package (ie: Big brakes & Vortech s/c). Our base package Terlingua came with the 18" razors and 235/50's. I personally like the 18's for serious track duty. Our base model kicked butt at the Mid-America meet; passing GT's, Bullitt's, Mach's & a couple of Cobra kit cars (actually lapped them in one session). Ours is a "No-Options" V6 with no ABS, no TCS, and just about no "anything" LOL. So it is about 200# lighter than the fully-optioned Performance Terlingua's out there. And on a tight course, I'll take that any day. :idea::rockon:

Archived