TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My race against a Terminator

Secondo

Just got back from cruising in the GT500 and I wanted to share this story with you guys as you will appreciate it. As some of you may or may not know me, I bought my GT500 to drive, race, show and be proud of owning a Shelby automobile. I usually race at Lebanon Valley Dragway, NY.

Right before last year's cruising season ended I talked with a dude that had a nice Terminator. He explained that he had alot of work in the motor like ported heads, cam, full exhaust, pulley, etc. and it makes 550RWHP. I have a lot of respect for them.

Due to the current lack of competition from the "Brand-X" boys, I see the dude up ahead in his "Termie" so I follow him. We arrive at the "deserted highway south of the border." He sees my snarling S197 and slows down to let me next to him. We both downshift to third and slow down some more to about 35-40mph. We hit it and its dead even for a few short seconds to about 85 then I hear him shift. He falls back slightly to my rear bumper and then starts pulling on me. Now it's my turn to shift as I've reached 6000rpm at about 105. As I shift, he gains some ground but I'm right next to his rear bumper. We keep going to about 140 and I'm still aligned with the rear bumper of the Terminator.

We both leave the highway and get to the light. "Nice run," I say. He says "Yeah nice run, beautiful car." "Yours too." He looks really happy. He won the race.

But it was so close. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my motor was bone stock. :D

(If you are offended, please do not respond. Thank you! :) )

That's very heartening for a fellow owner of a stock Condor. It also goes to show that you never know what you'll find out in the real world. There may even by Foxes out there with the goods to run with us.

By south of the border, do you mean Mexico?!? 140MPH is getting on it!

Good run.

I'll do my sig soon.

'08 GT500 Torch Red with full stripe delete.

Bone stock

If I read correctly the OP lost, as he said he was at the back bumper of the teminator?

There is much hate for GT500's among the Cobra crowd. Many are sure Cobra's are faster stock and of course modded as well. Seems like a highly modded Cobra would have no trouble with a stock GT500 but as the above example shows, that is not the case. I asked a Cobra lover to show me runs in the low 11's from upper pulley only Cobras as I have seen from GT500's and he never was able to produce them. Many owners use a combo of upper/lower pulleys which is still fairly rare in GT500's as many feel that is overspinning the stock blower.

That's very heartening for a fellow owner of a stock Condor. It also goes to show that you never know what you'll find out in the real world. There may even by Foxes out there with the goods to run with us.

By south of the border, do you mean Mexico?!? 140MPH is getting on it!

Good run.

I'll do my sig soon.

'08 GT500 Torch Red with full stripe delete.

Bone stock

Hey cobranole welcome to Team Shelby!

Yes, Mexico (wink, wink!)

Lets see some pics of that red beast!

I can't understand how you could beat a 550hp Termi, STOCK. If you did, you got one helluva factory freak! :yup:

He won the race. (Maybe it was driver skill that kept me so close, Haha!) And it was from a 35-40mph roll, not from a full stop- so the race most likely would have been very different. But 3rd-4th gear on these cars are incredible!!

I never had my car dynoed yet but I do have an Evolution Stage 2 in my garage waiting to be installed, just waiting for the pulley tool. That should be a very nice boost in power!!

If I read correctly the OP lost, as he said he was at the back bumper of the teminator?

There is much hate for GT500's among the Cobra crowd. Many are sure Cobra's are faster stock and of course modded as well. Seems like a highly modded Cobra would have no trouble with a stock GT500 but as the above example shows, that is not the case. I asked a Cobra lover to show me runs in the low 11's from upper pulley only Cobras as I have seen from GT500's and he never was able to produce them. Many owners use a combo of upper/lower pulleys which is still fairly rare in GT500's as many feel that is overspinning the stock blower.

Yes I lost, I was at his back bumper. Today I am wondering how the race would have went if it started from a complete stop.

I've felt the hating too, mostly from Fox owners. Jealousy maybe. Well not me, I gladly sold my old '72 jalopy to buy this car. The Terminator Cobras are quick but like you I'm not really sure just how quick. I know they're lighter but less cubic inches, our 5.4's got more torque.

Justin from VMP Tuning says that the 10% O/D lower and smaller upper pulleys work with the GT500. He sells a kit called GT500 Ultimate Stock Blower Package that includes both pulleys.

Many are sure Cobra's are faster stock and of course modded as well.

The Cobras are crazy easy to mod, but stock for stock vs. the GT500? The trap speed of the stock cobra is closer to my SRT8 than to the GT500. ET's are traction dependant, so lots of mixed results there on all sides.

He won the race. (Maybe it was driver skill that kept me so close, Haha!) And it was from a 35-40mph roll, not from a full stop- so the race most likely would have been very different. But 3rd-4th gear on these cars are incredible!!

I never had my car dynoed yet but I do have an Evolution Stage 2 in my garage waiting to be installed, just waiting for the pulley tool. That should be a very nice boost in power!!

Secondo... I must have TOTALLY misread your first post, I apologize! :doh:

I did a 45 roll with a Termi one day, and THAT thing had me by a car length by 110mph - that car was on CRACK! Talking to him later... he had full exhaust, pulley, CAI, and tune...

And yes... just makes you so antsy to get a Stage II, because when you DO.... look out Termi's!! :yup:

Great story...here's what I don't understand. If your GT500 is bone stock, the average RWHP ratings have been around 420-450. His car was 550 RWHP and it is lighter... and you only lost by half a car length? Maybe your car is a factory freak? Do you have a tune or anything else done to yours beyond what's in your sig? I promise, I am not flaming, just asking. I am very impressed!

Yes I lost, I was at his back bumper. Today I am wondering how the race would have went if it started from a complete stop.

Not very well. I ran a buddy of mine in his '03 Termie with intake, pulley and tune. From a roll it wasn't close and I pulled on him easily. From a dead stop he ate my lunch, at least up through 2nd gear. (I was on stock tires at the time with my current power level) Since we weren't South of the border, we needed to shut it down after a couple gears, but it would have been interesting if we had 1/4 mile to run it out. Now with the Nittos out back we'll have to head to Mexico and see how it goes from a stop.

Great story...here's what I don't understand. If your GT500 is bone stock, the average RWHP ratings have been around 420-450. His car was 550 RWHP and it is lighter... and you only lost by half a car length? Maybe your car is a factory freak? Do you have a tune or anything else done to yours beyond what's in your sig? I promise, I am not flaming, just asking. I am very impressed!

secondo was running hard in 3rd/4th gear. our cars pull like freight trains in 3rd/4th gear. that is our sweet spot where the gt500 just seems to glide through its power curve. on the other hand, as cloud9 indicated, from a dead stop, the modded termies are a bit of a challenge. they weigh 3665 lbs vs our 3920... that is a "significant" weight advantage. physics takes over...

Secondo... I must have TOTALLY misread your first post, I apologize! :doh:

I did a 45 roll with a Termi one day, and THAT thing had me by a car length by 110mph - that car was on CRACK! Talking to him later... he had full exhaust, pulley, CAI, and tune...

And yes... just makes you so antsy to get a Stage II, because when you DO.... look out Termi's!! :yup:

I've seen a lot of Fox bodies in car accidents during my travels. Trust me, you don't want to be in one. On the othe hand, the S197 is significantly better. So if you plan on racing it's better to be in a S197.

That's a good question. I only have what's in my sig, as of 8/9/09 just a heat exchanger and poly bushings. Stock tune. Maybe it was the Ford Racing oil filter and oil change I did for the car just a few hours before!! :hysterical:

I think cloud9 and gt50035 are right, he probably would have beat me even worse from a stop instead of a 40mph roll.

But not for long- soon I'll have my Evolution Stage 2 installed and I'll pull a sneaky one and race him again!! Yes man we pull like freight trains in 3rd-4th gear!! :happy feet:

i don't know about anybody else, but if i am running hard against somebody at 40mph i drop down to 2nd gear (4,000rpm or so). i think 2nd gear is awesome! :drool:

Second gear in these cars is freaking scary! As the man said in Jurrasic Park, "Hold on to your butts."

i don't know about anybody else, but if i am running hard against somebody at 40mph i drop down to 2nd gear (4,000rpm or so). i think 2nd gear is awesome! :drool:

Yeah I agree with you, 2nd gear- but I was running at about 3-3500rpm in 3rd when we lined up and I knew we were going for the long haul way into the triple digits :shift:

Second gear in these cars is freaking scary! As the man said in Jurrasic Park, "Hold on to your butts."

Oh yeah- I'm running stock Good for a Year F1 tires too and I didn't want to burn through second gear- that's another thing I had in mind when I used third gear instead.

Oh yeah- I'm running stock Good for a Year F1 tires too and I didn't want to burn through second gear- that's another thing I had in mind when I used third gear instead.

Maybe you guys can answer that question for me. I have come to believe that Goodyear tires in general just suck after about 6-9 months regardless of tread. Every car I have had was unable to get traction with them including several 5.0 Mustangs, LT1 Corvette, several Lightnings. My question is, does anyone with either the Griggs suspension or coilovers have any better luck with the stock tires?

+1 frazier..

actually secondo could've dropped down to 2nd very easily at a rolling 3500rpm doing 45mph and launched like a rocket. he left some serious gear/torque on the table but as he stated he was being a little conservative and hitting it while still in 3rd. i have dropped down to 2nd doing as much as 65mph being careful to match accelerator with clutch just to max out my gear/torque. but doing that you have to be ready to shift hard to 3rd very quickly since 2nd gear usually maxes out at about 83mph (redline) but man is it a treat...

+1 frazier..

actually secondo could've dropped down to 2nd very easily at a rolling 3500rpm doing 45mph and launched like a rocket. he left some serious gear/torque on the table but as he stated he was being a little conservative and hitting it while still in 3rd. i have dropped down to 2nd doing as much as 65mph being careful to match accelerator with clutch just to max out my gear/torque. but doing that you have to be ready to shift hard to 3rd very quickly since 2nd gear usually maxes out at about 83mph (redline) but man is it a treat...

+1

I was driving about 65 and thought we'd hit it then so I tried 3rd gear which would have been right on the money but he slowed down some more and at that point I wasn't sure when we would go for it. When we both got comfortable it had gotten down to about ~40. More practice on my part will help and I'll keep this advice in mind for the next encounter.

I'm still getting used to the car as I've only been driving it for about 4-1/2 months total and haven't really raced it much. The Stage 2 is next, then some drag tires and I'll be bringing it to the drags to see what it'll do in October.

As far as the Goodyear tires go, I agree- in my experience they don't last. Good handling performance and traction up to a point then they let go like they're on ice. They also pick up every rock, pebble, dirt, sand and anything on the road and throw it up on the car which bugs the heck out of me. On the positive side, recently I got caught in a torrential downpour and to my surprise the tires gripped very well in the rain, better than I expected- which was a relief for me.

I haven't much experience with Goodyear performance tires, but everything else I have has Goodyears--in one form or another on them. Truck tires, (normal) passenger car tires, van tires, I just won't have much else. I agree, I hate them picking up rocks and such, but they seem to be one of the best all-around performance tires I've had in a while.....uh, well, the only performance tires I've had on a 500 horsepower car!

• 1 month later...

Update- I had a rematch with this Terminator. Since the original race I installed an Evolution Performance Stage 2 kit and the Termie had on new wheels with new drag radial tires.

On the very same deserted stretch of highway, rolling start about 35MPH. This time I downshift to 2nd and it looks like he did too. I let him get a jump on me then I mash the pedal. My car is fishtailing with the stock tires spinning away. We're dead even. I shift into 3rd and start pulling hard on him about 2 car lengths to about 110 and was still pulling away! :happy feet: The Stage 2 kit is sweet!

Also, since the original race, I saw the Termie at a car show and took a pic of the engine. Looks like he's also got a pulley, CAI, full exhaust and more.

DSC04674a.jpg

DSC04674a.jpg

Hey cobranole welcome to Team Shelby!

Yes, Mexico (wink, wink!)

Lets see some pics of that red beast!

I've felt the hating too, mostly from Fox owners. Jealousy maybe. Well not me, I gladly sold my old '72 jalopy to buy this car. The Terminator Cobras are quick but like you I'm not really sure just how quick. I know they're lighter but less cubic inches, our 5.4's got more torque.

Justin from VMP Tuning says that the 10% O/D lower and smaller upper pulleys work with the GT500. He sells a kit called GT500 Ultimate Stock Blower Package that includes both pulleys.

I have justin c/l intake 2.65 upper with his tune /373 gears it ran great , today I installed his updated tune, and I.W 10/od ballancer also .iT pulls like my frends pullied tvs I could not be more pleased THANKS JUSTIN 428CJ

Hey, how ya been ?? +1 on the drop to second at 35 to 40mph. If secondo would have gone to second he would have pulled ahead at the start and finished a 1/2 a car or better a-head :) Those cars do very well.had I've had two run ins in the two years I've had my Shelby the 1st time I was stage 2 and it was very close at a 40mph roll. The second time was after the Whipple and it was no problem :happy feet:

1st and 2nd gears are useless now with the Stage 2 and stock tires. I just ordered a new set of 305/35/18 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials to help take care of that problem!! :happy feet:

Secondo, thats the m/t I run and they will stick with a stage 2 set up in second gear. All I can say is hold on :drool:

Archived