TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB Woes

chuckstang

I thought I would share, not to scare any away from getting the work done but maybe to help me figure out what's wrong with this TSB to keep going wrong with me.

In a nutshell my car has been at the dealer for just over 3 weeks. They had trouble getting the car to shift correctly even with the TSB performed. Claimed it was a bad clutch, I believe I am on the 3rd or 4th "new style" clutch, so I am thinking there is no way it could be the clutch again (keep reading)

But this past Wed, got the call that it was all set. Drove home, which consisted of lots of highway and well the only issues was getting into 5th and 6th but I actually said no biggy. But then I hit rush hour traffic and almost immediately tranny locked up and I could not really get in or out of any gear and each time I put the clutch down I heard a loud slapping noise and the pedal went limp, also heard some roational banging noise below me (tranny or drive shaft maybe)

So I limped it back to the dealer, they installed a new clutch and I went back to pick it up yesteday. Drove off and I was amazed, at how light the clutch pedal was, how smooth all gears shifted, I was in love.

Well, after that hour drive home on the highway, I got to my town, decided to break for a nice dinner and went back to my car an hour later and decided its a great cool night out I gota drive around town a bit before home with some nice back roads and such.

Well, after doing a bit of slow 1st and 2nd gear driving (busy night down town where I live) I finally got through it all, jumped on the main road, went for 5th and it resisted, so I got worried again but still thought no biggy.

I got home in my drive way and tranny froze up again, nearly impossible to get in and out of any gear. Also note that my clutch is very grabby, very, also releases higher than normal IMO.

So here is what I am thinking is happening, it seems that my flywheel is still warping due to heat or there is just something wrong with my tranny, but no way could this just be another defective clutch.

Curious to hear back from guys that have had this done and maybe had similar results.

The dealer I have had it at has been nice, and I have been very nice back but at this point I'd like to know who would be best to call at this point. I really demand a new tranny, whatever will be a permanent fix and took the least amount of time as my car was gone from me for over 3 weeks!

I have been looking at 2010s, I am sick of this, hoping for the best but I dont think the dealer can/will fix this issue.

I know some might come on here and bash me for praising the stock set up but guess what, for that hour I had no issues, it was the best gear box I ever rowed, just like the brand new z06 I had test drove and loved.

My guess is that they are messig up something in the clutch install, resulting in a clutch drag.

If it were tranny, they wouldn't be temporarily fix it with each clutch, just to have it go bad again.

Whatever the tech is doing wrong, it sounds like he keeps doing wrong, so maybe they need another set of eye's on this during the install?

Just my armchair guessing, based on what you have written.....

Did they do the full TSB at once? New flywheeel, synchros and clutch together at some point?

I do not think so, not all at once anyway.

They sort of replaced everything one at a fuking time thats why my car was there for 3 weeks.

But according to the receipt, the entire TSB was completed, about $4900 worth (I verified part numbers and the TSB # was listed)

Just drove it again, and it just feels sort of sticky, at least now I am really only noticeing problems going into 1st, and on occasion 5th and 6th and reverse as well. This is much better compared to last night when the whole tranny froze up again.

Rob told me to pump my clutch and brakes which I did, which perhaps helped and could be why I did not have as many issues as last night but I think I am just hoping this 1st gear issue will go away, and Im probably just dreaming.

Do these new parts break in and get better over time?

Clutch chatter seems about the same but it grabs much more abruptly, and higher on the pedal travel. I also notice that the pedal gets real firm as you get close to the ground making it tough to make nice clean to the floor shifts.

On occasion at very low speeds I hear a smacking sound coming from the clutch area when I use 1st or reverse, almost sounds like the 2 discs are smacking each other.

I may just drive it until the whole tranny wont drive no more and then just tow it back but I really dont want to get stranded so Monday morning I am calling Ford direct, I just got their number off their main website but if anyone has a better # to reach someone, please post up.

But even with this problematic TSB, I def realize that I needed the TSB, the car now when correct is nigh and day difference compared to pre TSB.

Lastly, if it is the clutch, why am I not having problems at least that I can tell in the middle gears like 3 and 4, never an issue, not ever, that sees odd to me. This makes me think tranny issue?

Chuck I'm sorry to hear about your situation - it must be VERY aggravating. I was out my 500 for over a month and a half, but for a different issue. Something is definitely not right in your car. What it is, I'm not sure, I don't have the experience on this car to help in that area.

I don't know if it will come to this for you... but one of the members recommended the following when I was reaching the end of my rope with the dealership. They were nice as well. Just remember, flying off the handle won't help the situation. This TS member suggested that I take the car back (when it was still having issues), and drive with the tech or service rep - have them acknowledge that a problem still exists, and kindly requesting that a field service rep from Ford come down to help figure out the problem, and get it fixed. This may make your dealership guys feel like their toes are going to get stepped on, but you have to keep in mind, it's their prerogative to satisfy the customer. The member continued to explain that if they denied my request to have a service rep come out, to simply call Ford directly and explain the situation to remedy the problem.

Hope this helps... Good luck with getting everything closed up. They will make it right, you watch! :salute:

Chuck my car was the same feeling with the clutch, when I got mine back from the second gen clutch and new trans. Now have about seven thousand miles on it, and it is sweet running, got that high grab with the clutch engage, but you will get used to it, I think it is due to the dual clutch design. But mine never locked up.

i am sorry for what you have been through, and i hope it will work to your liking, and IT WILL, you will put all that behind and enjoy the car.

Did they let a MASTER MECHANIC work on the car and perform the TSB?

and you may need to ask for Ford regional representative to be at the site and they will pin point it, most likely a new tranny, if it was not an issue with correct install or proper and complete bleeding of the clutch i believe the regional rep will authorize a new tranny, and you will put all this behind you!

Not all cars are created equal....and you've gone thru all of this grief :banghead:

it may be time to enact your rights within the "Lemon Law" and start with a new one...

I read the law for MA and it applies to only cars under a year old with less than 15k miles.

My car has 11k miles but is 2 years old

Do you know something I don't? maybe

I notice that there is much less hiss but at slow speeds coming from a stop or slowing down when going into and out of 1st or reverse, there is this squeaking noise coming from the clutch area.

It still is driving and quite frankly, unless it gets worse, I dont think they would say anything is wrong. But I just know these cars and my car and I can tell its just a matter of time and going to fall apart, leaving me stranded or in an accident because it dies or locks up while pulling out into traffic. Almost got rearend already, scary! Part of me was hoping for it cause then Id have a new car and sue Ford!

I notice that there is much less hiss but at slow speeds coming from a stop or slowing down when going into and out of 1st or reverse, there is this squeaking noise coming from the clutch area.

It still is driving and quite frankly, unless it gets worse, I dont think they would say anything is wrong. But I just know these cars and my car and I can tell its just a matter of time and going to fall apart, leaving me stranded or in an accident because it dies or locks up while pulling out into traffic. Almost got rearend already, scary! Part of me was hoping for it cause then Id have a new car and sue Ford!

Chuck you have gone thru quite a bit over the past month and I am amazed that it was the same folks that did mine back in June. It's easy for me to say, but don't get too worried about what may happen down the road. Your car I take it is running fine right now so enjoy it before the summer comes to an end. If it acts up anymore I would consider speaking to Ford before bringing it back to the dealership.

As I mentioned in my earlier pm's to you, if I can assist you in anyway please give me a pm. Good luck and enjoy that Shelby of yours.

That sucks chuck. Mine goes in tomorrow for the 3rd clutch and a CSC. After having the tranny and flywheel replaced, I wonder if I'll still have problems. My only symptom currently is a grind going into reverse unless I wait a few seconds after depressing the clutch and "ease" it into reverse. Otherwise it shifts great. I just wonder if I'm asking for more problems letting them replace the clutch again.........but when they called the hotline about the grind issue, that's what they told them to do.

Chuck you have gone thru quite a bit over the past month and I am amazed that it was the same folks that did mine back in June. It's easy for me to say, but don't get too worried about what may happen down the road. Your car I take it is running fine right now so enjoy it before the summer comes to an end. If it acts up anymore I would consider speaking to Ford before bringing it back to the dealership.

As I mentioned in my earlier pm's to you, if I can assist you in anyway please give me a pm. Good luck and enjoy that Shelby of yours.

Thanks Brian.

Did get it to a show today, but grinded 2nd a coupl times coming home under heavy throttle :(

1st and reverse can still be a bear at times but now the grinding into 2nd at times. That seals the deal. I know I need a new tranny. I was thinking about waiting till fall or winter to do this since it at least drives right now and I can enjoy the rest of summer but there is no reason why they can not get this done during this upcoming week so I can have it in time for the next weekend. Ford is getting involved, because now damage is being done to the syncros and I'm not waiting again for another TSB, we already saw how well that went!

That sucks chuck. Mine goes in tomorrow for the 3rd clutch and a CSC. After having the tranny and flywheel replaced, I wonder if I'll still have problems. My only symptom currently is a grind going into reverse unless I wait a few seconds after depressing the clutch and "ease" it into reverse. Otherwise it shifts great. I just wonder if I'm asking for more problems letting them replace the clutch again.........but when they called the hotline about the grind issue, that's what they told them to do.

Well, sorry to tell you but that is what they keep telling me, new clutch, new clutch, new clutch. This will be my 4th clutch if they replace this one.

There is just something else wrong, you cant install 3 new clutches and still have issues and keep blaming the clutch!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, sorry to tell you but that is what they keep telling me, new clutch, new clutch, new clutch. This will be my 4th clutch if they replace this one.

There is just something else wrong, you cant install 3 new clutches and still have issues and keep blaming the clutch!

Chuck, Any new developments?

I've got 5,000 miles so far and no issues yet. My car is 3 years old on March 24 2010 and I'm a little worried about the warranty running out before I have issues.

Chuck, Any new developments?

I've got 5,000 miles so far and no issues yet. My car is 3 years old on March 24 2010 and I'm a little worried about the warranty running out before I have issues.

New developement is I picked up my car for the (cant remember how many times) last Fri after the dealer said they could not duplicate or find any of my problems, so I went and picked up my car and called Ford direct to file a complaint and want this resolved.

2 days of lots of driving and oddly no grinding into gears and have been able to get into and out of gear with out too much trouble so I believe the dealer must have done something they just did not tell me about, maybe change fluid, adjust shifter linkage, bleed the system who knows.

But with that said, I am still not satisfied as it does not shift as smooth as before I had the TSB and the chatter is a million times worse. The only thing I noticed is better is clutch drag or when you put it in gear the car no longer continues forward which was the problem I was having before the TSB.

In a nut shell, the car was much better to drive before the TSB and I wish I could go back to it. This new set up is either crap or installed wrong.

I am going to follow up with Ford and see if maybe I can have the TSB redone at another dealer or something as the car just does not shift like a new car should or even like it used to!

But at least it is better whatever it is they did, they don't want to tell me I guess.

i'm going through the same thing noisey in second grinds gears locksup hard to get into reverse shifting not smooth this will be my 4th time bring it back even took it to a different dealer and they told me my dealer got paid good money to do it to bring it back to them that they wont touch it also going back cause cruise isn't working and this will be the 4th time for the rear as well humming and bad bearing noise so i no what your going through.. john

damm I guess so cause I could not follow all of that !

sorry to hear

I have noises in my rear as well and my tranny is just one big mess, one second its quiet, the next its making odd new sounds, occasional grind, hesitation going into gear.

This has been my feeling all along, aint nothing like factory and once someone has to rip into your new car, your doomed for life

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest for me took the car back to the dealer for 1. No cruise control 2. Rear whining also bearing noise and a tinging sound only when really staying in it. 3. Trany grinding going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd also reverse once awhile. Noisey in 2nd all the time. at idle sound like marbles in the pan way worse then before. Alot of times i'm getting locked out of gears on shifts and I have to double clutch alot. So get a call cars done I say I want a tech to ride with me before I give back loaner and have to take the car back again no problem. Pull out of dealership with tech. 1st thing you hear is bearing noise from rear also whining above 40+ 2nd noisey in second ok I come to a stop and lay into it Guess what grinding into second and locked out have to double clutch and then try going into second again. so now I check cruise control and it works so i'm impressed with that 1. Next now the tining sound is louder and it doesn't matter if I stay in it or not but it's worse. Well after 2 weeks of not having my car its staying so it took that long to fix my cruise i guess. This will be 5th time for tranny and 5th time for rear. Can someone tell me what to tell these people .... Oh I forgot tech said not going into reverse is normal also said you have to put it in 1st first then reverse everytime. WHAT THE S--T IS THAT

ouch sorry to hear

I gave up on my car (tranny/clutch)

I just will drive it till it can't drive and hope Ford fixes it

Because right now they will/cant do anything

the price you pay I guess for supercar performance from a $50k car

No, your dealer can't fix it. Ford paid them to fix it and they did not. Take it up with your disfunctional dealer that did the poor work.

Take it to another dealer and get it fixed. If the original work was defective, ford will back charge the original repair to your first dealer.

You are going to have to stick up for your rights here

Yes, the reverse shift is normal. There is no syncro on reverse. You can either shift to first then reverse or shift to reverse while slightly lifting the clutche pedal to mvoe the gears to line up. This is normal for most manual transmissions. Very few and no performance manuals have reverse synchros.

With the some TSBs go well, and some TSBs go HORRIBLY wrong, would it be correct to say that if the clutch is upgraded as a proactive measure, that would eliminate risk of problems related to the TSB from happening later (knowing there are some tranny things that are done in the TSB)?

Yea, that would hose warranty work on the clutch, and possibly the tranny :censored: !

the problem i'm having in reverse just started happening and i dont know if its related to the rest of the tranny getting worse. as far as the grinding goes thats been getting worse the car has to warm up alittle to start the grinding. the tech's reply was well the fluid is getting thinner as it gets hot which i can understand but with all other manuals i've driven through the years ( i'm 35 and have been driving stick since i was 12 use to steal my dads van with 3 speed on the column) as the tranny gets warm it gets easier to get in gear not like this thing. and as far as the rear goes everytime the say they fix it i get more problems.

Archived