TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air filter maintenance (GT500 113 mm cold air kit )

markhudd

I would like some advice/recommendations on how best to service the air filter that comes with the 2007-2009 Mustang GT500 113 mm cold air kit M-9603-SVT07. Can they be cleaned and re-used or would it be best to just replace it? Also, if they can be cleaned, what are the proper procedures? I know this issue has been discussed before somewhere on the forum, but after exhausting all my search options, I give up. Thanks.

Mark

I would like some advice/recommendations on how best to service the air filter that comes with the 2007-2009 Mustang GT500 113 mm cold air kit M-9603-SVT07. Can they be cleaned and re-used or would it be best to just replace it? Also, if they can be cleaned, what are the proper procedures? I know this issue has been discussed before somewhere on the forum, but after exhausting all my search options, I give up. Thanks.

Mark

When I asked the question, I was told that the only option is to replace the filter. I believe that is about $70 from most dealers. Maybe someone has an alternative filter that could be used with this kit...

Mark

I bought a K & N cleaning "recharge" kit to clean and change color from blue to red, worked great. Local parts store.

Another option is to buy the AMSOIL reusable filter. It only needs to be vacuumed once in a great while.

<<LINK>>

I appreciate the feedback. Ingram4868, I've heard a lot of good things about AMSOIL. Is that what you installed in your 500? If so, do you have the part number handy? Thanks again.

Mark

I called FRPP and they said wash in soap and water and do not oil. So I ordered a second filter and clean them with the K&N kit, but don't use the oil. Then I always have a clean dry filter to install when I clean the dirty one.

I've been told these filters generally need to be oiled (at least K&N) I would like to know for sure, but I did call FRPP twice on that and they said no oil, just clean and dry.........

This is just a guess but I have a feeling that the reason Ford says its a disposable filter and why FRPP says add no oil if you do clean it instead of replacing it is becuase of issues of excess filter oil screwing up the MAF readings.

Consumers have the tendency to apply too much filter oil when re-oiling a cleaned filter. The proper procedure is to apply a minimum amount of filter oil and then let it wick itself to the rest of the filter over several hours. Consumers incorrectly tend to keep applying filter oil until the filter is saturated with the excess oil then being sucked up thru the air intake tube coating the sensitive MAF sensor.

Again just a guess on Ford's reasoning. If you have experience cleaning/oiling reuseable filters I say go for it. If you don't have the experience I'd say purchase a new filter for the $70. Heck someone here may even give you $20 for your old filter if you go that route.

Steve

I appreciate the feedback. Ingram4868, I've heard a lot of good things about AMSOIL. Is that what you installed in your 500? If so, do you have the part number handy? Thanks again.

Mark

Sorry but I didn't keep the info with the part number. I took out the FRPP filter and matched the AMSOIL measurements to the FRPP filter. I did buy one that was 1 inch less in length so that I could remove the filter without having to disconnect anything else.

If they are like the k&n filter they really don't work best untill they get a little dirty, and they don't really recommend changing or cleaning till about 50,000 miles normal use and something less for dusty conditions...

I suggest lightly blowing it off with LP air if your worried about looks.

If they are like the k&n filter they really don't work best untill they get a little dirty, and they don't really recommend changing or cleaning till about 50,000 miles normal use and something less for dusty conditions...

Hmmmm, I did not know that.

How do you get the blue color back?

Not sure if you can get the blue color back once you've used the red oil, but if your going the recharge route instead of replacing there are plenty of blue oil recharge kits out there. Here are a few

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-239361/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BLY-229000/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFE-90-50501/

Guys, I am no expert on this, but here is something to think about.

K&N Filters were designed to be oiled. I believe the oil helps with the filtration process. The filter medium on a K&N type filter looks very porous. The FRPP filter was not designed to be oiled. The filter medium is designed trap any particles. If you add oil to the FRPP filter I think you may be reducing the permeability of the filter and thus causing additional restriction???

When mine got dirty I cleaned and dried it and the blue color went away. I then ordered an K&N Type filter (S&B actually) that came in the same blue color.

Guys, I am no expert on this, but here is something to think about.

K&N Filters were designed to be oiled. I believe the oil helps with the filtration process. The filter medium on a K&N type filter looks very porous. The FRPP filter was not designed to be oiled. The filter medium is designed trap any particles. If you add oil to the FRPP filter I think you may be reducing the permeability of the filter and thus causing additional restriction???

When mine got dirty I cleaned and dried it and the blue color went away. I then ordered an K&N Type filter (S&B actually) that came in the same blue color.

Thanks 68, good advice.

Ya but you have to remove the dam CAI to replace the filter because its so big unless you know of another way

Not sure exactly what you mean. Just loosen the band clamp that holds the filter on and work it out of the cold air enclosure. Had to wiggle it a little but no biggie.

About the blue color of the FRPP filter. If it has no oil of any kind, does anyone know why it loses its blue color when washed. This seems to be a mystery!

Archived